Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

And it comes with a timing belt too (barf)
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

oh nooooo! not one of those scary timing belts Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I wish I could see the vid, but nevertheless this is still really an awesome achievement.

It's on the dub shop media page

http://thedubshop.com/social-media/
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
oh nooooo! not one of those scary timing belts Laughing

Not scary, just (barf)

Not everyone has the skills to operate and maintain a WBX. Even fewer can do what Marco is doing here.

I get it though, what Marco is able to do with a WBX with stock internals could be really scary and threatening if you have a fetish for Japanese answers to your WBX problems. Very Happy

I should start a thread showing the disasters that have ensued when those Scooby Doo engines are put in airplanes. EPIC FAIL compared to the VW designs that are adapted for flight.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

yea, i get the hate.

never really saw any subaru airplane issues. i have a FAA registered runway here and all of the club guys with engine issues seem to be either HKS or Rotax.

anyway like i said i think it's neat that he modernized a horrible platform. it will be interesting to see how it hold up long term.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

remraf wrote:
I might be off on the price, maybe it was 4800?

Wow, I'd be really surprised if he sells many, or any, at that price. Hard to see a reasonable profit in there at that rate if the kits are anywhere near "turn-key". More power to him if he can make it work.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

I would like to see the Freiburger and Finnegan "RoadKill" version of this kit on a used Long Block - which I imagine is going to be a large portion of end users...And see how long that lower end stays together. I seriously doubt there would be any longevity unless the engine is fully built to handle what's being rammed down its throat!

I like NA stuff, but regardless, this is pretty cool shit to screw around with!
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Aryana wrote:

Mine does. No sweat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I could've taken a similar picture on any of the past few weekends but I do have a rebuilt WBX (about 40k miles on it). The original had 130k when it went but that happened within a couple months of me buying the van - no idea how it was treated prior.

Let's hear it for the purists! And I despite his posturing, I don't count Ziet as a purist with his 1.8T nonsense. Twisted Evil
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

sounds like they wrapped it up at the Dub Shop:

http://thedubshop.com/social-media/

Sounds like someone in the NW is getting the engine/kit for real life testing.

That last photo shows 227hp, 259tq at 4600rpms. Impressive
holdthewind2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Anything north of 130whp and south of 150whp i would be as excited as a 13 year old in a brothel...
remraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

khughes wrote:
remraf wrote:

Wow, I'd be really surprised if he sells many, or any, at that price. Hard to see a reasonable profit in there at that rate if the kits are anywhere near "turn-key". More power to him if he can make it work.

Given gowesty is selling their EFI kit for 3k and the turbo kit includes complete modern EFI it doesn't seem that bad to me. A gowesty 2.7 is 8500 and they won't warranty it if you don't get the 3k EFI with it. Maybe subie swaps are a better comparison? Agree with other comments, bolting this on to a rebuilt or wbxr of unknown shape seems ripe for unexpected outcomes.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

remraf wrote:
khughes wrote:
remraf wrote:

Given gowesty is selling their EFI kit for 3k and the turbo kit includes complete modern EFI it doesn't seem that bad to me. A gowesty 2.7 is 8500 and they won't warranty it if you don't get the 3k EFI with it. Maybe subie swaps are a better comparison? Agree with other comments, bolting this on to a rebuilt or wbxr of unknown shape seems ripe for unexpected outcomes.

I think you misread...I'm skeptical he can make a profit off of them (if truly turn-key) at that price. I don't recall the GW EFI kit using individual coil packs for e.g., although I could be wrong.
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/groups/197865313987406/permalink/1230174804089780/

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Taking reservations....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/143540456277303/?multi_permalinks=953338658630808
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Can anyone screenshot the facebook page for those of us without facebook?
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

"The turbo kit consists of,
Turbo charger, turbo fuel injectors, turbo oil return, Turbo fuel pressure regulator, Turbo throttlebody with TPS sensor ,crank trigger pulley and sensor, four LS coil-on-plug coils, coil igniter, Boost sensor with center 2.1 plenum, altitude sensor, modified oil breather to oil fill, vw oem recirculation valve,New engine wiring loom, New ECU, stainless steel header to turbo up pipe, stainless steel muffler, Wideband lambda system, New air filter and pipework, water to air charge cooler and pipe work, charge cooler radiator plus fan, and circulating water pump, Oil cooler plus fan and -10 oil hose, Oil filter relocation system, 2.5in aluminum pipe work.
Everything needed for the turbo system to work on your long block,
Does not include, longblock AC pump, water pump, power steering pump, alternator, or associated brackets or water piping, fuel pump or pre-filter.
Will work with Auto, Manual and Syncro gearboxes
Extras
Heavy duty pressure plate is needed if running over 180hp and is an extra($250)
7in or 10in bluetooth tablet for live engine sensor monitoring.
1.35 pro rockers.
Kit is $4500usd
Im taking orders and will be making batches of 10kits at a time, please contact me for lead times and batch placement.
Please contact me via messenger or email
[email protected]"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Whoever gets a kit pleeeeeease start a thread. Start to finish.
cofcortez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Just found this thread! Very informative, I was just wondering, has anyone added a turbo (mild to outrageous) to a GW 2700? If so, what are the numbers?
Thanks.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Has anyone seen any pictures or videos of Marco's engine installed in a van? All I've seen so far the runs on the dino.

Hans
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Facebook posts say Marco is in WA state converting a van at the Dub Shop right now. Should be interesting to see how it goes. Hope they take lots of pictures.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 31

Jump to: