Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cool tins in a type3
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject: cool tins in a type3 Reply with quote

Hi Guys;

These cool tins (picture) work well in a type3 squareback stock engine? ... are they compatible with the stock fan, oil cooler??...all engine tins fit correctly ??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My best.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: cool tins in a type3 Reply with quote

Those ARE Type 3 tins.
Calling them "Cool Tins" is just a marketing gimmick.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: cool tins in a type3 Reply with quote

Those are for type three for sure. I would not use them on a type one upright engine.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: cool tins in a type3 Reply with quote

To be correct these were added to the type 3 in 1970, not sure if they were other changes to the cooling system at the same time or if they should be used on all type 3 motors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: cool tins in a type3 Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for your replies!!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: cool tins in a type3 Reply with quote

Keep in mind you might have to wire them up in place due to manufacturing differences (some fit better than others).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: cool tins in a type3 Reply with quote

Also keep in mind that the other tins may or may not fit with the cool tins.
If you look on page 4 on my 73 build you can see where I had to do some trimming near the #3 cylinder for it to fit tight.
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: cool tins in a type3 Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
If you look on page 4 on my 73 build you can see where I had to do some trimming near the #3 cylinder for it to fit tight.

Yes, I will take a look your pictures, really nice info!!...Thanks
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: cool tins in a type3 Reply with quote

QRP wrote:

Indeed both lower left and right cans collide with the new cool tins cans, I am modifying them to avoid problems, I don't know if these lower cans are type3 stock or type1....But not fit correctly....even the small front type3 cans collide too, but it's not a very noticeable issue, apparently my type3 cans kit used the small square cool tins under the barrels...

My best
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: cool tins in a type3 Reply with quote

We have used them on Type 1s for years. Our way of thinking is that the cooling air would be more consistent, since it makes this air "wrap around" the cylinders, thus having more cooling surface area. Never did scientific testing, but we have never had issues with over heating.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: cool tins in a type3 Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
We have used them on Type 1s for years. Our way of thinking is that the cooling air would be more consistent, since it makes this air "wrap around" the cylinders, thus having more cooling surface area. Never did scientific testing, but we have never had issues with over heating.

A contribution from South America, the entire Brazilian kombis production line from 1984 to 1989 equipped with a 1600cc type1 (doghouse style) engine incorporating type3 cool tins from the factory, apparently with very good results!!
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: cool tins in a type3 Reply with quote

pablovent wrote:
Multi69s wrote:

A contribution from South America, the entire Brazilian kombis production line from 1984 to 1989 equipped with a 1600cc type1 (doghouse style) engine incorporating type3 cool tins from the factory, apparently with very good results!!

Did they come with a sled tins specifically for the cool tins??
I have yet to find any that fit cool tins without modifications.

A pic would be great.
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: cool tins in a type3 Reply with quote

Thats the point, a few years ago i rebuild at least four Kombi Brazil type1 engines and I not see the big detail Sad.... but I dont remember any problems with the stock sled tins asembly, must be different for sure!....in a few weeks i will try to take a picture or at leats find the explanation for that!

My best
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: cool tins in a type3 Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
pablovent wrote:
Multi69s wrote:

Did they come with a sled tins specifically for the cool tins??
I have yet to find any that fit cool tins without modifications.

A pic would be great.

Hi QRP, in a few more days I will publish the "type1 sled tins" picture (Kombi brasil up to 90īs) that use from the factory production type3 cool tins!!...My best
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: cool tins in a type3 Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:

Read the last line.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: cool tins in a type3 Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Multi69s wrote:

Read the last line.

Surprise Glenn!!.......The entire production line of Vw Kombi Brazil type1 1600cc manufactured from the mid-80's to the early 90's were implemented with doghouse (steel cooler) and type3 cooling tin, vehicles designed for tropical heat , these kombis worked for years in cargo transport companies inside the cities...

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: cool tins in a type3 Reply with quote

Yes, Brazil did a lot of odd things not sanctioned by the Fatherland.

Still, Type 3 tins belong on Type 3s and Type 1 tins belong on Type 1s.

Lucky this is a Type 3 forum so you're good.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: cool tins in a type3 Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Yes, Brazil did a lot of odd things not sanctioned by the Fatherland.

Still, Type 3 tins belong on Type 3s and Type 1 tins belong on Type 1s.

Lucky this is a Type 3 forum so you're good.

It is very likely!, your information is very good!.......... VW Brazil also incorporate IRS/rhino case (transmission 1:5,143), Bosch electronic ignition, solex H30/31 pict carburetor, 35.5x30 cylinder heads, however they worked very well for years under extreme heat...there are also differences in the cylinders and heads (3/4" plugs).

My best

Last edited by pablovent on Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: cool tins in a type3 Reply with quote

All I can say is do whatever has worked for you since you'll be the one dealing with it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: cool tins in a type3 Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
All I can say is do whatever has worked for you since you'll be the one dealing with it.

I'm just sharing information that can be used for better analysis, ......it seems that type3 cooling tins have been a pretty good deal!.... Don't you think so?

My best regards
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: