Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

things not good in rhineland germany (and belgium) either...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Just got back from a trip to Las Vegas and that concrete sure does absorb and radiate the heat! Then a trip to the Bar 10 Ranch in the desert, again hot as hades. Then a three day/two night rafting trip down the Grand Canyon. With the water being a constant 55 degrees, it provided relief.

There were often blasts of hot air like opening up the oven in all three places. Had to be 110+.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

finster wrote:

While Ireland had its hottest ever day at...wait for it...31 Celsius!!!!

For the first time it was warmer than 'tepid'. Another ten years like that and the puddles might dry up. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
finster wrote:

While Ireland had its hottest ever day at...wait for it...31 Celsius!!!!

For the first time it was warmer than 'tepid'. Another ten years like that and the puddles might dry up. Laughing Laughing Laughing

My wife and daughter were in Ireland in June of 2018. It was warm, sunny and dry. They enjoyed it, but the locals were wary. My wife lived there for a few months back in the early 90's, and said it was never sunny and dry. Or Warm.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Here in the San Joaquin, I am struggling to keep my redwood trees alive, as it has not rained in 3 months. I don’t care much about the $20k in sod if it dies. Rolling Eyes I can have sod brought in. But I have 18 years on those trees now.

I have three big aquarium systems, and the water changes are all getting piped to my redwoods, thru an emergency hodge-podge of poly irrigation line and pond pumps.

But it ain’t enough. We always have 3 mos of 95~120F weather, and water restrictions are coming.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:
Here in the San Joaquin, I am struggling to keep my redwood trees alive, as it has not rained in 3 months. I don’t care much about the $20k in sod if it dies. Rolling Eyes I can have sod brought in. But I have 18 years on those trees now.

I have three big aquarium systems, and the water changes are all getting piped to my redwoods, thru an emergency hodge-podge of poly irrigation line and pond pumps.

But it ain’t enough. We always have 3 mos of 95~120F weather, and water restrictions are coming.

I hear ya.
The thread starter heat wave. Scorched some of the pine trees here. The pines with the flat little needles got sunburned in the 116°F heat. They are turning brown everywhere.

My neighbors garden took a beating too. All of their blue berry's got sunburned and the vining green beans dried up due to the wind shift on the hottest day.

Like you. We are going through one of the driest spells in history.
Water is, Life. Don't waste it!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:

Any chance that need for $20K in a nice sod lawn might have something to do with water shortages? Just askin'.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Any chance that need for $20K in a nice sod lawn might have something to do with water shortages? Just askin'.

yea...they want new england lawns out in the middle of a desert.

fear not. the guy with the most $$ will use the last drop of water washing his hands after pouring the last gallon of gas into his Benz G class

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

People are burning the Amazon, and they would kill my lawn too… ;(
Let’s not kill this thread complaining about what you don’t have.

I drive a Toyota.
My little fishing boat is electric.
My lawn is tiny.
But it makes oxygen.

Out of CO2 which you make constantly by breathing.
When my lawn dies there will be less oxygen.

The importance of oxygen is the same as water.
But you can’t drill a well for more oxygen. Wink
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

We just arrived in Portland to visit our daughter. Only supposed to be 88 today but over 100 again by Monday or Tuesday. They have two portable a/c units in their 110 year old house to get it cool enough to sleep. Monday we head south on a 3-day run though the hot Willamite Valley, the hot Sacramento Valley, the hot San Joaquin Valley, hot L.A. and finally back to San Diego. We are fortunate to live within 1/2 mile of the coast but will need a window a/c unit to be able to sleep.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:

Let’s not kill this thread complaining about what you don’t have.

You really think my question was based in envy?

Your $20K lawn, if tiny, is way overpriced. And it doesn't do shit for the overall supply of oxygen. But watering it endlessly, with short supply of that water, is a big part of the problem.

If you live in the desert, don't have needless water usage. How often do you have to change out the water in those huge aquariums? If you have been throwing that water down the drain over the years, instead of watering plants with it, that's part of the problem, too.

Stop using so much water! It is a finite resource, and wars will be fought over it sooner than later.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

That offer of a tanker truck full of spring water is going up in price.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

On another note, though we have had a break from the high temps of June, everything around here is super crispy, and temps are on the rise again. Fire danger is extreme, and firefighting resources are working hard to contain and steer many fires in the area.

Local folks are saying this may be the driest this region has been since the fires of 1910. If you're not familiar with that, I suggest reading up on it. The best book I have read about that time was called "The Big Burn" by Timothy Egan. It digs deep into the development of the US forest Service and fire suppression tactics used by gov't agencies since then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Fire_of_1910

Read the part on wiki about Ed Pulaski. I had the great fortune to chaperone my daughter's 8th grade field trip a few years ago, and one of the stops was a hike into the mine shaft where Pulaski saved his men from burning to death in the 1910 fire that swept through. Amazing story.

This is now the normal dry season around here. We very likely might not see any measurable rain until October. Oh goody!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Moderator time!
Let's get back on the original topic.

I'm cleaning some stuff up soon as it's turned too much into arguing/a few personal attacks/political stuff and off the original purpose of this topic.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

for all y'all complaining, heres my reality. Driest spring since the late 1800's and unprecedented early summer temps (112F) has lead to a very early and very nasty fire season. Some fire experts say our two big fires will burn 'till the snow falls.

your expensive sod lawn, aquariums, and trees don't matter that much Wink

heres my buddy's property that burned a bit over a week ago, fortunately his house was spared, but his 20 acres is black and grey dust.

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Shocked ummm. the amount of pollution my tdi spits put is literally nothing compared to ^^^^

i hope that top bit is just the clouds.

imma just stay down south Wink
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

pyrocumulus clouds, created by the fire. Large fires create their own weather, which includes high winds which just fuels the fire even more.

summer fun here in the Methow Valley Laughing
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Shocked ummm. the amount of pollution my tdi spits put is literally nothing compared to ^^^^

i hope that top bit is just the clouds.

imma just stay down south Wink

But your Tdi adds more to the net CO2 balance on the planet. You have to think through why wood fires are net zero CO2 Added
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

sled wrote:
pyrocumulus clouds, created by the fire. Large fires create their own weather, which includes high winds which just fuels the fire even more.

summer fun here in the Methow Valley Laughing

Cool. Learned something new. Imo its a neat sight. Wish I could be there with my camera.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Unprecedented PNW Heat Wave Reply with quote

I lived up by Yakima as a kid, so I feel for you PNW folks. Our local Sierra Nevada and half of Yosemite look like a BBQ pit. Crying or Very sad

However, I find it distressing that on this car forum people hate my plants and aquariums. Over on the aquarium forums they want to outlaw my gasoline car and motorcycle. Embarassed

sled wrote:
. . . your expensive sod lawn, aquariums, and trees don't matter that much Wink . . .

It matters plenty to me buddy. The bank don't own this land and I ain't no trust fund baby. My folks were military folks. I earned this property & If I have to fight a fire I have extinguishers, pumps hoses and 400+ gals of fine aged fishwater handy. Very Happy

The forest fires in California never came closer than about 25 miles to us. BUT the house right next door burned nearly to the ground 12 years ago from kids smoking. In our old house, 25 years ago, the kids two doors down caught a sofa on fire playing with matches, and they burned the roof off their house.

I have bred fish since 1975. After the second serious neighborhood fire I decided more water on site would be wise. I went from 40 gals to 400+.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: