Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Parts from 66. Trash or give away?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiskow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Parts from 66. Trash or give away? Reply with quote

I replaced the front brakes with disc a year ago. Consequently I have the former drum brakes and single master cylinder.

Are they trash or do they have any value to anyone?
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts from 66. Trash or give away? Reply with quote

Drop the M/C in the trash. Give the drums to a metal recycler. Anyone needing these parts would probably opt for new stuff. Don't wanna mess around with used brake components.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)

Last edited by rcooled on Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts from 66. Trash or give away? Reply with quote

master cylinder, shoes, and harfware are trash. the rest i would keep until you find some one who need it and give it to them.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts from 66. Trash or give away? Reply with quote

If the brake drums are serviceable. They may be of interest to a new owner.

Same goes for the backing plates.

I have a friend that has two sets of drums and backing plates that he is gonna put up an ad for. I have looked them over and they would serve a new owner very well.

So evaluate what you have and decide if it's worth selling or recycling.
Someone may want your lightly used, no longer needed parts.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Parts from 66. Trash or give away? Reply with quote

Late model bug owners looking to do a 5 lug conversion may want the drums.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Parts from 66. Trash or give away? Reply with quote

I would toss the master cylinder, wheel cylinders, and brake shoes. If the brake drums are not worn to a diameter larger than 9.110 inches I would keep them.

I would keep the backing plates, adjusters, and original brake hardware. The fit and quality of new brake hardware is often questionable, if nothing else it should be compared to the old for correct dimensions. I don't replace VW brake hardware unless it's damaged.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Parts from 66. Trash or give away? Reply with quote

If the drums are real German drums (with VW logo) then they may have value to someone as they are made better than the stuff available these days generally.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: