Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best solution for DIY rust prevention/coating of trailing arms?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremypbeasley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Best solution for DIY rust prevention/coating of trailing arms? Reply with quote

The yahoo that aligned the lift I did recently didn't torque my trailing arm bolts sufficiently after the camber adjustment and they began turning out about a month later.

Needtheless to say, the van's been grounded and I've got a little rear end project. New trailing arm bolts. Powerflex bushings, new CVs, new boots. All the parts are here. Thankfully there was no damage to the trailing arm when those bolts began to turn out.

While I'm in here I want to do some good rust protection to the trailing arms. Thankfully there's very little rust right now, but I also plan on parking this thing outside for another 20 years.

I've read plenty about powdercoating and galvinizing, however both those options are quite pricey in Seattle and I'd like to do something I can handle with products myself.

The forums on this topic tend to trail off into infinite with strong opinions and not a ton of clarity for someone like myself who's only a couple years into their first restoration project.

1.) How do I get this damned factory undercoating off? Is sand blasting the only option? Should I just leave it alone? If I do leave it, doesn't covering it risk encapsulation of rust or whatever I apply on top just peeling off?

2.) What's the best product to coat it in? I'm leaning towards Rustoleum's Undercoating rattle cans, but wide open to better ideas.

As always, thanks for your time.

JB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Best solution for DIY rust prevention/coating of trailing arms? Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of POR15 but I ordered a gallon when I was drunk one night. I used that. It's held up fairly well.

Order a 4oz bottle and it'll be enough to do the trailing arms. Probably the rest of the suspension too.

Last edited by 4Gears4Tires on Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Best solution for DIY rust prevention/coating of trailing arms? Reply with quote

When your going to do your rear bushings, have them zinc plated.
Not hot dip galvanized but plated. That's what I'll do. Then paint over that.

To do it faster, buy a pair of trailing arms and have them plated and ready to swap in during bushing replacement.

If you wanted you could even add a sacrificial anode. Go to a boat supply store or even ebay and buy a zinc anode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Best solution for DIY rust prevention/coating of trailing arms? Reply with quote

Master Series is the same style of paint as POR 15 but it's not affected by UV light. Just wear a respirator because the fumes are insane.

https://masterseriesct.com/
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Best solution for DIY rust prevention/coating of trailing arms? Reply with quote

MayorMcCheese wrote:
Master Series is the same style of paint as POR 15 but it's not affected by UV light. Just wear a respirator because the fumes are insane.

Lets see if I can get this stuff in california... probably not lol
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Best solution for DIY rust prevention/coating of trailing arms? Reply with quote

MayorMcCheese wrote:

This. This stuff is better than por15 (current formulation) in every way.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Best solution for DIY rust prevention/coating of trailing arms? Reply with quote

After you paint it with whatever you choose you can further coat the inside and outside with an undercoating wax like cosmoline or wayoxl. That stuff is great.

https://www.cosmolinedirect.com/cosmoline-rp-342-heavy-spray-military-grade-rust-preventive/

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Best solution for DIY rust prevention/coating of trailing arms? Reply with quote

Eastwood Heavy Duty Anti Rust in Black finish.
It's a thick wax that dries mostly hard. Apply it right over whatever you have- and unlike paint (ESPECIALLY POR15, which I cannot suggest AGAINST heavily enough)- it self heals when scratched and sticks nicely to all surfaces (including the paint you're painting over).

Just clean it real nicely, scuff it up a bit, and hit it with a rattle can of the Eastwood product.
I've been using this for years on countless busses- it looks and performs awesomely!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Best solution for DIY rust prevention/coating of trailing arms? Reply with quote

Magnet paints Chassis Saver
The best, AG-111

Never consider another, this was internet research hours of it!
The Chassis Saver is very simple to use and AG-111 is a two part.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Best solution for DIY rust prevention/coating of trailing arms? Reply with quote

1.) How do I get this damned factory undercoating off? Is sand blasting the only option? Should I just leave it alone? If I do leave it, doesn't covering it risk encapsulation of rust or whatever I apply on top just peeling off?

A torch and putty knife will remove undercoating every time. Then take it to the blaster.

2.) What's the best product to coat it in? I'm leaning towards Rustoleum's Undercoating rattle cans, but wide open to better ideas.

I'd use an epoxy primer followed by a topcoat of your choice. That or powdercoating. A Waxoyl type product for the inside, if so inclined.

As always, thanks for your time.

JB[/quote]
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Best solution for DIY rust prevention/coating of trailing arms? Reply with quote

jeremypbeasley wrote:

Oscillating multi tool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Best solution for DIY rust prevention/coating of trailing arms? Reply with quote

Link

Project Farm did some rust proofing tests. Looks like CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor is the top dog.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Best solution for DIY rust prevention/coating of trailing arms? Reply with quote

Take them off and get them hot dipped galvanized.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: