Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
melville wrote:
Bad head?

It can't be that. There's no such thing as bad head.... only good or great. It's the same with pizza.

I see those on eBay. it appears those are retreads.

So you think a pizza made with ranch sauce, dill pickles, skittles and sardines would be a good one? Its still pizza right? Wink Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
nemobuscaptain wrote:
melville wrote:
Bad head?

It can't be that. There's no such thing as bad head.... only good or great. It's the same with pizza.

So you think a pizza made with ranch sauce, dill pickles, skittles and sardines would be a good one? Its still pizza right? Wink Laughing

You have to add avocado. Its not a "California" anything until it has avocado.

Laughing Laughing

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

HoboBus wrote:
notchboy wrote:
nemobuscaptain wrote:
melville wrote:
Bad head?

You have to add avocado. Its not a "California" anything until it has avocado.

Laughing Laughing

Right? But then again some people might be into that when dealing with head. Wink Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fatmatt650
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
nemobuscaptain wrote:
melville wrote:
Bad head?

Ha! Never tried skittles but sub that out for pineapples, throw on some jalapeños and corn and you got one of my favorite combos.
72 Highroof
86 Scirocco
"So much to do...so little time."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

i noticed yesterday while installing new CV joints that my Hankook tires that i got from Bus Depot about 8 years ago have some cracks in the side walls. Living in Wyoming and driving on snow and dirt roads, i would like something more grippy like some General Grabbers, but not sure if they fit my stock wheels on my 1978 Bay Riviera camper?
Also, what about glass beads for balancing those new tires. i installed a pair of new tires on my 1986 BMW motorcycle last year and added glass beads before i sealed the tire on the rim. they run straight and true. got the beads from napa store. apparently beads can be used for trucks or cars. and the guys with $35,000 custom Harleys dont stick no stinking weights on those $2000 a piece rims. they use glass beads. when i was in high school and college i worked at gas stations pt time. thats when we were full service including selling and mounting tires. i need to find a decent inexpensive tire changer. i hate paying for something i can do myself. with the right tools.
what about those Grabbers? will they fit stock rims? 😎
2020 VW Tiguan
2001 Harley Electraglide Classic
1986 BMW R 800cc motorcycle
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
1999 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I run the 27x8.5 General Grabber ATX on my bus. They fit in the stock rims without any issues and they offer a great ride, both in and off road. My tire guy decided not to balance mine. I had just cleaned up and painted my rims and he thought putting weights on it would ruin the look. He told me if I had any issues to just bring him back and he will balance them. Surprisingly I have not had any issues and they run nice and smooth. He said it’s a bus, how fast are you going to go. Smile

I also run the same tires on my pick up truck.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback richparker! Just what I needed.😎
2020 VW Tiguan
2001 Harley Electraglide Classic
1986 BMW R 800cc motorcycle
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
1999 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom
tjrm63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Just installed the General Grabbers 27x8.5x14 on my 71. I had the BF GOODRICH 195/75/14 before I switched to these. Grabbers have a softer ride but have a little roll around corners, Goodrich’s took corners with no roll but stiffer, could be the rubber got harder after 6 years. Acceleration is a little slower I’m figuring due to the larger tire, but she rides very nice at 65 mph with stock gears and a 1904 engine.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

^^^ Sharp looking bus!

Maybe try adding a little PSI to the tires, incrementally, to see if the handling improves without sacrificing ride quality.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

tjrm63 wrote:

Just installed the General Grabbers 27x8.5x14 on my 71. I had the BF GOODRICH 195/75/14 before I switched to these. Grabbers have a softer ride but have a little roll around corners, Goodrich’s took corners with no roll but stiffer, could be the rubber got harder after 6 years. Acceleration is a little slower I’m figuring due to the larger tire, but she rides very nice at 65 mph with stock gears and a 1904 engine.

really sharp looking bus. the acceleration makes sense, as the BFG is slightly undersized from stock while the 27's are slightly oversized from stock.
I agree with cdennisg on going up a little in air pressure with the grabbers.

richparker wrote:
I run the 27x8.5 General Grabber ATX on my bus. My tire guy decided not to balance mine. He said it’s a bus, how fast are you going to go.

Is that normal? I've never heard of someone just skipping the tire balancing.
How fast are you going to go? Highway speeds? I guess if you don't feel anything off about it..
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I mount my own tires but do not balance them.

in fact NONE of the VWs tires in my fleet are balanced.. all roll fine no shakes or shimmies.
you can always have them balanced later as noted.
but my shakes and shimmies were from loose tie rods and even the wheel bearing at times.
tjrm63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

tjrm63 wrote:

I have the tire pressure at 45 psi all around just like I had with the BFG’s. Max is 50 psi for the Grabbers and thank you for the kind words, she is my baby
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

tjrm63 wrote:

I have the tire pressure at 45 psi all around just like I had with the BFG’s. Max is 50 psi for the Grabbers and thank you for the kind words, she is my baby

Try dropping it to 35 in front and 40 in the rear. That is what I ran for many miles on my old BFG's, with great results. That is also about the same pressures I run in the Starfire SF510's on my single cab.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

tjrm63 wrote:

I run my Grabbers at 35 PSI front and rear. Nice smooth ride with lots of traction on and off road.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
scarceller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Has anyone used this tire on a type2 bus?

Triangle TR645 195R15C Load D 8 Ply Commercial

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303945337320

Looks like decent 8 ply sidewall 2000lb rated tire?

Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

You could buy them and tell us what you think. If it were me I’d spend ~$150 more and but the Hankooks or the Generals. Tires are the most important safety item on a automobile, why skimp? eBay has both for around $525 for the set.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I’ve found for my Achilles 35 front, 40 rear gives good ride and control. S far I’m pleased with them. A bit loud compared to the BFGs they replaced, dropped my RPMs a bit without an increase in temps. So far have worked very well in loose gravel, we are year two into a drought s haven’t hit any mud yet.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

scarceller wrote:

Thoughts?

They are made in the US (TN and NC) that’s one thing in their corner. Parent company is the largest tire company in China, if that matters at all.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

scarceller wrote:

Thoughts?

The load ratings quoted by manufacturers correspond to certain specific tyre pressures. If your vehicle requires lower tyre pressures than those used to define the maximum load rating of the tyres, your actual in-service load rating for those tyres will similarly be reduced! So beware!

If a Light Truck tyre of load range D has its maximum load rating of 2094 lbs defined at 65 psi, then at 40 psi the actual in-service maximum load rating will be circa 2095 lbs x 40/65.

Tirerack has some on-line technical information about this and other topics:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tiretech.jsp

TIRE SPECS EXPLAINED

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=194

A tire's maximum load is the most weight the tire is designed to carry. Since a tire's load carrying capacity is related to the tire's size and how much inflation pressure is actually used, maximum loads are rated with the tire inflated to an industry assigned inflation pressure.

Additionally, load ranges are used to separate tires that share the same physical size, but differ in strength due to their internal construction. 'Higher' load ranges are used to identify tires that have a stronger internal construction, and therefore can hold more air pressure and carry more weight.

Each load range has an assigned air pressure identified in pounds per square inch (psi) at which the tire's maximum load is rated.

Tire Load Ranges | Inflation Pressure Assigned For 'Maximum Load' Ratings

P-metric

Light Load (LL) | 35 psi
Standard Load (SL) | 35 psi
Extra Load (XL) | 41 psi

Light Truck

Load Range C (LRC) | 50 psi
Load Range D (LRD) | 65 psi
Load Range E (LRE) | 80 psi

TIRE SPECS EXPLAINED: MAXIMUM LOAD

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=195

TIRE SPECS EXPLAINED: MAXIMUM INFLATION PRESSURE

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=196

A tire's "maximum inflation pressure" may be different than the assigned tire pressure used to rate the tire's "maximum load." For example, while a P-metric sized standard load tire's maximum load is rated at 35 psi, many P-metric sized standard load performance and touring tires are designed to contain up to 44 psi (and are branded on their sidewalls accordingly). This additional range of inflation pressure (in this case, between 36 and 44 psi) has been provided to accommodate any unique handling, high speed and/or rolling resistance requirements determined by the tire and vehicle manufacturers. These unique tire pressures will be identified on the vehicle placard or the vehicle's owner's manual.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratherb-buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellaslow wrote:
changed my mind on tire selection...

i ordered a set of mkv jetta steel wheels 15x6 et47 and im going to run 215x75x15 a/t's

load rangs is well within the stock specs...

Do you happen to have any photos of your bus with ET47 wheels on it? Did you have to run spacers?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 190 of 198

Jump to: