Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this enough sanding before epoxy primer?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylewadescott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Is this enough sanding before epoxy primer? Reply with quote

So I've been sanding my 6 layers of paint of the car and I'm wondering if this is enough sanding before epoxy primer? Or should I just strip it entirely to bare metal. If so, I'm not sure what parts need to be entirely stripped on the interior. I'm thinking just the dash and under the dash above the carpet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Is this enough sanding before epoxy primer? Reply with quote

I’d strip it completely.
The surface is now uneven because of the different layers of paint. You will have to use high build primer and copious sanding to even it out, but you will also have to worry about die back or under strata issues that you won’t have to worry about if you shoot epoxy just over bare metal.
It’s usually safe to shoot over old paint if it’s original or maybe one respray as long as the paint is solid and you are sure there is no rust lurking underneath or old bodywork that may fail. It’s a crap shoot if not whether it will fail down the line ruining your new paint job. It’s why painters go through the trouble of stripping old cars, it’s insurance that the new one won’t fail.
I wouldn’t worry so much about those areas inside that will be covered by carpet and upholstery by the way. I would strip the exposed areas though.
Good luck.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this enough sanding before epoxy primer? Reply with quote

Ya I'd go a little farther. You don't need to get extreme with it but just sand some more.

ALSO use a semi firm foam block behind the paper, especially on the larger flat areas, for best results.
kylewadescott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this enough sanding before epoxy primer? Reply with quote

Update, so I decided to keep stripping all the parts that are gonna be viewable after carpet and rubber floor mats. Here are some pictures. We should be good now?

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Is this enough sanding before epoxy primer? Reply with quote

Wise decision. Looks nice and saves you labor in the end.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this enough sanding before epoxy primer? Reply with quote

Just an FYI epoxy primer needs at least 80 grit scratches to stick to the metal well. at least the brand i used it was recommended by the manufacturer. i mention this as it looks like you may have used a wire wheel or one of those fiber stripping wheels, but i may be wrong. its hard for me to tell by the pictures.
1965 Notchback S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: