Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Digijet Idle Stabilizer
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Digijet Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

This was missing on my newly acquired 1984 with the plugs connected together. Mysteriously, the green mounting tabs are still there (torn out in a fit of frustration? Smile ).

I'm not having much luck searching around for one. If anyone has converted to a 2.1 and/or Subaru/Bostig/etc., please DM me if you're willing to let one go.

Was the unit used in any other vehicles? I'm wondering if I can expand my search.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Digijet Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

I haven't looked at what is available but be aware that while the originals were green the replacements are usually an off-white.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Digijet Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
I haven't looked at what is available but be aware that while the originals were green the replacements are usually an off-white.

Thanks for letting me know. Does it have a different part number?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Digijet Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

I think it is the same p/n:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I looked at vendors and eBay just to know -- Yikes! They do appear to be NLA from all the usual sources with the going rate being 100 bucks for a used one and more for the odd NOS:

Even ones that are out of stock were commanding high prices at the end:

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/idle-stabiliser-unit-t3-ct-cu-dh-gw.html

There should be decent used ones considering the number of Vanagons that sill get parted out - hopefully this part will get saved from them.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Digijet Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

Thanks again! Good to know that color doesn't matter.

There is someone selling Rabbit ones here in the Vanagon section for a more reasonable price, but they are different part numbers. My understanding is that the box advances timing at idle to avoid going below a certain RPM. However, if it's a different engine and FIS, I am doubtful it would work.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2250768

Putting it out there because I see so many conversions these days, and was hopeful that someone had one leftover in their parts box or maybe even still mounted to the firewall. Wink
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Digijet Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

I see that Frank C may have one:

https://www.frankcondelli.com/staging1/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=266

If I didn't already have a spare I'd be on that.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Digijet Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
I see that Frank C may have one:

https://www.frankcondelli.com/staging1/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=266

If I didn't already have a spare I'd be on that.

Your Internet search skills are commendable, Ahwahnee. Thanks again.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Digijet Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

I have one on order from Bus Depot, back ordered , but it is slated to arrive in August. We shall see.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Digijet Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

I was able to source one from my local VW miscreant.

Should I expect miracles when I hook it up? Will it run like buttah? Like it did when it rolled off the lot 37 years ago?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Digijet Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on a replacement. It adds a point of failure for the ignition system, and with a working auxiliary air regulator and the timing and idle set to spec, you shouldn't even notice it not being there.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Digijet Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on a replacement. It adds a point of failure for the ignition system, and with a working auxiliary air regulator and the timing and idle set to spec, you shouldn't even notice it not being there.

I appreciate you sharing that, Mark. I think I did find a thread with a similar conclusion. Did my sarcasm work to elicit your response? :^)

You mentioned the AAR. I didn’t realize that the IS was in play during open loop?

Van is new to me and I have replaced all vacuum lines and done a full tuneup (cap, rotor, wires, plugs, oxygen sensor) and cleaned all ECM grounds. I cleaned the AFM track which did help idle and acceleration from stop some. Timing and idle set with a few degrees for my elevation. Both TB switches are good and adjusted correctly.

Fuel pressure regulator is out of spec. Will be replacing soon. My pressure drops immediately at shutoff, so I will then test the pump’s check valve function and replace if necessary. Still has small prefilter, but I will be removing and replacing with a new later model postfilter.

Main complaint is a loping idle once in closed loop. Van sat alot and was rarely used by the elderly PO, so I am contemplating seafoam treatment via TB in addition to my Italian tuneups.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Digijet Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

brickster wrote:
...Main complaint is a loping idle once in closed loop...

Try this: Next time it is loping remove the oil filler cap and see if the loping goes away.

If it does, then you can ponder what that means.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Digijet Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
brickster wrote:
...Main complaint is a loping idle once in closed loop...

Try this: Next time it is loping remove the oil filler cap and see if the loping goes away.

If it does, then you can ponder what that means.

I will, thanks!

I should also have shared that, while timing, the mark is not stationary. I have read that the advance/retard on these do fail.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Digijet Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

The auxiliary air regulator has been around since AFC fuel injection. Its basically a heat controlled air bypass to the throttle plate. A cold engine needs more air for the warm up idle speed. As the auxiliary air regulator closes, the air bypass is reduced. They work independent of the ECU. They have an electric heat element and they utilize heat from the engine case. Once at temp, the internal opening is mostly closed.

I loping idle with the digital stabilizer bypassed, would indicate something else. The stabilizer would likely not react quick enough to adjust for a lope.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: