Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pertronix electronic ignition
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Pertronix electronic ignition Reply with quote

Have many of you removed your distributor points in favor of an electronic ignition module? The search function was not helpful. I did this mod on a Porsche 914 with a 2.0 (air cooled) engine with satisfactory results. Thinking about doing it for my 2.1 Wasserboxer.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix electronic ignition Reply with quote

Here's an existing topic

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=281144

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix electronic ignition Reply with quote

Neither of the 1.9 WBX nor the 2.1 WBX uses a points-type distributor.
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix electronic ignition Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
Neither of the 1.9 WBX nor the 2.1 WBX uses a points-type distributor.

Confirmed. Thank you!

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
AndrewBraun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix electronic ignition Reply with quote

Well I recently took a leap of faith and fitted an SVDA with a Pertronix Ignitor module, which I did myself replacing points and condenser. I replaced the stock Bosch DVDA which I always had trouble timing properly with two Vacuum lines to the 34PICT3 carburetor (Bocar). Although I seem to have it sussed now.
The SVDA with the Pertronix is attached to the carburetor with one Vacuum line with the other vaccum port on the carburetor for the DVDA retard is plugged.
The coil is giving 3.4 Ohms resistance, as recommended for Pertronix.

Anyway the result of the Pertronix is as follows -
1) Car does not start any easier or better.
2) No discernible difference in pull away - in fact if anything I have more of a flat spot with the Pertronix.
3) Acceleration through the gears is actually not as good as the stock DVDA.
4) idle is smoother and more controllable.
5) The RPM on my VDO tachometer only shows a max of 3,000 at 60MPH..that doesn’t seem right to me. With the stock DVDA it was showing more like 4,000+. The tachometer readings itself are smoother now and not as erratic as with the stock DVDA.

I was hoping the electronic module and SVDA would make everything smoother but my conclusion after a few drives on the Pertronix is that I’m going to keep that SVDA as a back up if ever needed and retrofit my stock DVDA again.

With the DVDA it runs slightly more erratic but has better pulling power compared to the electronic, which according to what I’ve seen and read should actually be the opposite!

The timing on the DVDA was 5°ATDC at idle, the timing on the SVDA with Pertronix is 7.5°BTDC at idle and 28°C at max rpm (approx.3500rpm).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix electronic ignition Reply with quote

In my (non-VW) experience the main benefit of the Pertronix is in a distributor with slop in the shaft bearing. A worn bearing will cause the points gap to vary (which changes the timing slightly) giving uneven idle - the Pertronix doesn't much care about gap so the idle is steady.

Some don't like futzing with points but that seems to me to be a minor point and just part and parcel of old engines.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: