Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PIP roof rack
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1LoWezl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: PIP roof rack Reply with quote

I just picked up what i believe is a 9 slat PIP rack in good shape. Some one had replaced the rivets and wood before as i can tell and needs it again. Read on the forum these were close replicas from 90's of the BeKoWa racks. The wood was supposedly a reddish color? Anyone here have a good picture of a pip rack? Have redone other racks with European beach, but it is more blonde and would like to get close as possible. Thanx for any pics or input in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: PIP roof rack Reply with quote

I forget where I got them, I think maybe Grainger, but I found little screws that thread into a larger screw, one side is straight slot, and other side was semi-flat dome, with no slot.. I was going to use them to replace the wood on my original VWoA Germany rack, but I was able to sand, seal, stain, and coat the original wood..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EDIT- I found them, they are from Grainger, and they are called "Binding Posts" and they come in all different lengths, and diameters-

https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Binding-Post-5MA57

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
1LoWezl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: PIP roof rack Reply with quote

Thanx for the picture!! I'm thinking the wood i was given is original now looking at your grain structure. I have aircraft rivets i am using, same as on my BeKoWa rack. Was debating between redoing original wood and new European beech, but think ill keep it as close to original since that's what really makes it a repop. I wasn't given the clamps yet, similar to the bekowa clamps? Thanx again for the picture and reply, looking closer your rack is a vwoa, same wood as a PIP? Were all the PIP racks 9 slat?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: PIP roof rack Reply with quote

I bought a PIP new in 1995. Pretty sure it was 10 slats, and a replica of the VW original accessory.

Grainy pic alert…

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: PIP roof rack Reply with quote

I have a similar rack like that. It has a flat four stamping on it.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
1LoWezl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: PIP roof rack Reply with quote

This rack has no markings or holes where the bekowa tag would go. Looks just like a bekowa but about 1/2' taller on front and rear feet. It had a sticker on one of the wood slats i can tell. Some one peeled it off, was on underside of wood. The welds are defiantly newer and the rack material is thinner. Therefore i was guessing its a PIP rack. Thanx again for the replies still trying to see what the wood looked like. Also where the slats square tops or were the tops rounded?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: