Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vw bug power
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alejandroo1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: vw bug power Reply with quote

Hey guys! I was wondering how much power I could get out of a 1600 dp. I am planning on tracking the car and need some power. Looking to get around 120 to behind with and more later on. Looking into amr super charger but don’t know where to get the intake manifold for it. Also wondering if there is a different engine under 5 grand that could get me around that power or more that will bolt in easy. Want to do subie swap later on but want to keep it air cooled for now. I don’t mind paying 5k for an engine if it has around that power and is a fairly easy swap. Also did want it to not pertrude the engine bay too much. Also maybe if I could send mine to get built. I have no idea that’s why I’m asking y’all. Thanks so much!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: vw bug power Reply with quote

What do you mean by "tracking" car, drag race, auto cross, road course?... Any particular track type may influence how engine is built...

My thought would be to go big bore, big stroke, maybe push it out to 2000+cc and add some carburation (dual weber (style) 44's) .... A good "build" could get you 100-120 HP at the wheels with out complexity of supercharger....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: vw bug power Reply with quote

just build a good 2332 and be done. or rebuild the small motor for a turbo and add that with innercooler.
alejandroo1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: vw bug power Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
What do you mean by "tracking" car, drag race, auto cross, road course?... Any particular track type may influence how engine is built...

My thought would be to go big bore, big stroke, maybe push it out to 2000+cc and add some carburation (dual weber (style) 44's) .... A good "build" could get you 100-120 HP at the wheels with out complexity of supercharger....

thanks so much for your help! building it for more like an actual race track for track days.
alejandroo1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: vw bug power Reply with quote

also has anyone heard of a corvair engine swap?
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: vw bug power Reply with quote

Supercharger parts and info:
http://thedubshop.com/products/turbo-superchargers/superchargers/

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2468502
For some reason JoeBlow superchargers doesn’t have a current add up on the samba.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: vw bug power Reply with quote

You may want to look into a 2180-2332cc. Something like an 86B cam, good heads, and either something like dual Dellorto 45s-48s (my preference) or if you don't think carbs are cool then spend extra money for some sort of fancy fuel injection and crank trigger and/or even turbo or super charger. The turbo with get you more power than the super but then again they also behave different. That should get you in the 160-200+ HP range. Have it built by someone reputable, maybe trade your old 1600DP in for a good core discount (or try to sell privately) unless it's the original engine it might be cool to have it rebuilt and keep the car matching numbers if that's your thing. Do whatever you want. I think you could get it built for maybe 7k to 8k+ out of pocket, depending on various factors.

Or just get a long block and do the rest of the work to possibly save some money, or maybe that's not your thing?

The car would retain its value better than a modern swap and would be very fun to drive. Also reliable with good gas mileage if done right.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: vw bug power Reply with quote

alejandroo1967 wrote:

It was done back in the day. Now, its mostly an obsolete approach to making power in beetle. Heavy. Probably harder to find parts, too. You needed to change cam in order to run the engine clockwise, iirc.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: vw bug power Reply with quote

alejandroo1967 wrote:

Better option would be your water cooled Subie... 200-250hp "stock"...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: vw bug power Reply with quote

Or a Type IV upright Conversion.

T-4 engines are a ot easier to find then a Corvair Engine.

Bolt right up a 2000 cc with cam and duel carbs easy 125 HP.

It you can find a T-4 engine it will be less expensive then building a T-1 up to 125 hp

Especially when VW made the engine stock for 914's and they had 110 hp.

The engine was also used to push 2 ton buses.

Think about it the largest hp in a stock 1600 was 57 hp

125 hp would be stock for a T-4 with its stock Aluminum case and spin on oil filter .

The 1600 T-1 would have to built up to make what you want.

All T-4 cases are the same 1.7 1.8 and 2.0
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: vw bug power Reply with quote

if there was a different engine that was better or easier to get, I'd tell you what it was, but I'm not really aware of anything. all the aircooled vw, porsche, corvair......are antiques, pretty far out of warranty if you know what I mean, and you try to build one and there is usually with some parts shortages to deal with.
It's pretty much equal IMO, roll the dice, or choose whichever engine you like best.
Look in the classifieds here, faceplant marketplace ect.
Sometimes you can get a good deal taking over somebody else's project, or somebody getting out of the hobby giving away all their goodies. Semi retired old racers...... it isn't really about money. You can spend a lot of money learning, but if you already know then 5k is plenty of budget. So you might need to find somebody who knows what they are doing, which engine? Whichever one they know about.... you pretend that's your favorite too Razz
I used to see people have fun with buying 400$ vw engines and putting a turbo on it, but, probably those days are gone. I'm seeing people spend more than I ever imagined just putting together one decent engine because they started with nothing, which is good and bad. The cost to rebuild a 60hp engine is about the same as to rebuild a 120hp engine, all else equal, although even finding anybody who actually can rebuild an engine isn't exactly easy either. So, whichever, good luck.

oh, and don't forget rotaries. Subaru is a good spiritual successor.... but if you have to put in a radiator...... rotaries are a lot of power in a small package Wink
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: vw bug power Reply with quote

You might be able to track down a older Formula V for $5,000 and that might have a trailer. I love FV's but I am way to big to fit in one.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: vw bug power Reply with quote

Quote:
how much power I could get out of a 1600 dp
Do you plan on sticking with 1600 cc based on your "track" engine displacement regulations, or are you able to consider more displacement per larger cylinders and stroker crank? If staying with 1600 cc, in the early 1970's the Austrian VW importer Porsche Salzburg built a few for their road rally team Super Beetles that reached 120 hp using large-bore dual carbs and many other modified parts. But that took an accomplished builder with in-house machining equipment and excellent technique.
http://www.colinshinkin.com/1302/page35.html
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: vw bug power Reply with quote

1776, 120 cam, 1.25 rockers good aftermarket heads, c/w crank and 10:1 compression. Nothing exotic. If it’s not fast enough. Build a stroker down the road.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: