Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Some drone footage from the last 6 weeks camping
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Some drone footage from the last 6 weeks camping Reply with quote

Over the last six weeks camping in Roosevelt National Forest, I had plenty of time to mess around with my drone. I'm getting better at flying it, but still suck. This video includes mostly footage of my Syncro in the wild, but also some of the scenery around my various dispersed camping sites just outside Rocky Mountain National Park. Includes many shots of my ARB Awning setup with accessories, my Bus Depot Add-a-Room rear tent, and my goofy tarp "awning" experiment on the driver's side. And also my dog, willow!

Link

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Some drone footage from the last 6 weeks camping Reply with quote

I think you need to re-evaluate that sucky part 'cause I didn't see it.

How far did you throw that stick for Willow? Probably should get major league scouts out there! Laughing

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Some drone footage from the last 6 weeks camping Reply with quote

Any info on the side tent?
Does it seal around the opening well?
If you could do a walk around, would be much appreciated

PS ur skills aint so bad
T
Rear discs
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Some drone footage from the last 6 weeks camping Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
I think you need to re-evaluate that sucky part 'cause I didn't see it.

How far did you throw that stick for Willow? Probably should get major league scouts out there! Laughing

Thanks Steve. I thought the flying when I was trying to keep up with Willow chasing the ball was pretty sucky. But like I said, I'm getting better.

That's not a stick. I'm using a Chuck-It which is basically an old school (really old school) atlatl. I can get some distance throwing the ball with this gizmo and helps keep Willow's energy in check.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Some drone footage from the last 6 weeks camping Reply with quote

space wrote:
Any info on the side tent?
Does it seal around the opening well?
If you could do a walk around, would be much appreciated

PS ur skills aint so bad
T

Thanks! The tent is the ARB 3-wall tent. I also have the screen room, which is in some of the video. There are some gaps where the tent meets the van, but not too bad. Lately, I've been using strong magnets to help "seal" the tent to the van. I have the screen room attached now, or I'd do a quick walk around video. I do use the front wall of the tent as sort of a wind/rain break when using the screen room, which you can see in the video. Next time I have the tent attached to the awning, I'll do a quick video. Here are some pictures of the tent attached, which might give you a better idea. I'm not even sure if they still sell the 3-wall tent with their newer "ARB Deluxe Awning Room with Floor" out, which is both a tent and a screen room.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Some drone footage from the last 6 weeks camping Reply with quote

Man, I love that part of Colorado. For 14 years, I lead Geology field trips to New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado. Watched over the years as the bark beetles destroyed most of the trees in RMNP. Sad. Just another example of a human caused problem. I am hoping to spend some time in the fall in Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado now that my Vanagon TDI conversion is almost road worthy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Some drone footage from the last 6 weeks camping Reply with quote

dieseltdi wrote:
Man, I love that part of Colorado. For 14 years, I lead Geology field trips to New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado. Watched over the years as the bark beetles destroyed most of the trees in RMNP. Sad. Just another example of a human caused problem. I am hoping to spend some time in the fall in Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado now that my Vanagon TDI conversion is almost road worthy.

The bark beetles definitely took their toll, especially on the west side of RMNP. The worst is over and most of the brown needles have dropped, so it looks much better, too. Other than all the burned areas, that is. As I write, I'm camped right at the edge of where the Cameron Peak Fire was last year. Many of the forest roads in this area are closed, with signs saying "National Forest is closed to all uses". I think they're trying to do some restoration work and don't want folks getting in their way. I'm heading back to the east side of RMNP on Monday for another two weeks.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Some drone footage from the last 6 weeks camping Reply with quote

On our spring trip to the SW and the Rocky's we had a major disappointment when we learned that the road across RMNP was closed and would remain so for the year as they worked on damage caused by those huge fires. Now BC is burning along with areas in WA & OR. I am so tired of getting smoked out!
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Some drone footage from the last 6 weeks camping Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
On our spring trip to the SW and the Rocky's we had a major disappointment when we learned that the road across RMNP was closed and would remain so for the year as they worked on damage caused by those huge fires. Now BC is burning along with areas in WA & OR. I am so tired of getting smoked out!

As I write this in Colorado, the sky is full of smoke from the west coast fires. It's seriously reducing my solar panel output, forcing me to use my generator more than I'd like. Unfortunately, I think we'll be dealing with wildfires more and more into the future.

I assume you're referring to Trail Ridge Road, the highest continuously paved road in the country. I know it is open now, but it's a shame you didn't get to drive it. It's really amazing and takes you into actual tundra and reaches 12,183 feet.

Clearing the snow from the road each year is quite a feat. My video production company was invited quite a few years ago by the Park to make a video of the snow removal process they do each spring for both the road and the visitor's center at the top. I'm retired now and no longer have the business, but here's the short video we made which may show a little of what you missed:

Link

I hope you get another opportunity to drive Trail Ridge Road someday. It's one of the most scenic drives you can imagine.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: