Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I worry? Metallic engine oil.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwstef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Should I worry? Metallic engine oil. Reply with quote

Hi guys and girls,

Last year I finished my 71 baywindow camper van project. I took it on a short little vacation and only drove about 350 km. After I came back from the trip starten changing the oil and found this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are some things to keep in mind with this engine:
- I'm a better welder then a engine builder....
- after rebuilding the engine I left It without oil for more then a year in my workshop... not smart.
- the cilinderheads are brand new.
- I did not change the engine bearings.
- the pistons and cylinders came from a friend who used them on his beetle but went for an even bigger engine. The pistons and cylinders have about 10000 km on them.
- someone tuned the engine for me and did the valves but when I checked them after my trip some where more double the normal valve distance.

I know that you can find this when you run a engine in but the pistons and cylinders are not New and its quit a lot of metallic powder.

I'm very curious what you guys think. All the help is appreciated.

Greetings Stef
vwstef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Should I worry? Metallic engine oil. Reply with quote

Forget about the last picture. There is metallic dust in the oil drop but I think that's from the engine paint job.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Should I worry? Metallic engine oil. Reply with quote

350 km on the first batch of oil on a fresh rebuild often looks like that, see what it looks like next change.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Should I worry? Metallic engine oil. Reply with quote

Did you happen to sand blast the engine? Looks like media might have gotten inside the workings
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Should I worry? Metallic engine oil. Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Did you happen to sand blast the engine? Looks like media might have gotten inside the workings

I'm with aeromech. This doesn't really look like any metal contamination of oil I've ever seen.

It's so consistent it looks like you replaced the oil with valve grinding paste.

I would change the oil with some cheap, thinner oil. Run it, change it again, and then see what it looks like on the third change.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Should I worry? Metallic engine oil. Reply with quote

Except for the grainy chunks in the valve cover.......it looks like oil looks when a lot of molybdenum disulfide paste was used as assembly lube and/or also when pistons, cam and bearings were anti friction coated.

If its running fine....check compression and valve adjustment....change oil and see wjat you get next oil change as others have noted.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Should I worry? Metallic engine oil. Reply with quote

In 1987 I took my assembled engine case into work and bead blasted it after covering all the openings (I thought). Looked brand new. Finished out the engine and began running it. Soon I found my engine oil looked like this guys. Oops! I was machining my engine from the inside out with media grit. Dumb move on my part.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Should I worry? Metallic engine oil. Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
In 1987 I took my assembled engine case into work and bead blasted it after covering all the openings (I thought). Looked brand new. Finished out the engine and began running it. Soon I found my engine oil looked like this guys. Oops! I was machining my engine from the inside out with media grit. Dumb move on my part.

What did you do? Could you just change the oil a few times and get most of it out? or did it require a full tear down and cleaning?

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Should I worry? Metallic engine oil. Reply with quote

The engine came completely apart and repaired. It was a long time ago so I forget the details.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I worry? Metallic engine oil. Reply with quote

Did you use Moly-paste as an assembly lube? Do a light weight oil change, warm up no load. Twice. It can be low cost oil as I see you live in an expensive oil cost area of the world. I know of guys that use 50-50 oil and diesel fuel to clean engine internals but I would not recommend it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I worry? Metallic engine oil. Reply with quote

oil additives or as some others have said, moly paste can look like that. I'd change the oil twice, basically put in a cheap oil the first time, run it 5 - 10 minutes then drain it, and put in good oil. Change it again in 500 miles and see what it is like.
DerLuftkuhler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I worry? Metallic engine oil. Reply with quote

edit: i have T1 engine

I would advise to check your pushrods first, as it is a relatively fast and easy operation. They may have had contact with the pushrod tubes if the original style tubes have bent while torquing the head, which will obviously result in metal particles in oil like you have.

Here is how my pushrods looked like (the two in the middle had made contact) and there was silver metallic stuff on the oil just like you had, maybe not that much though, but yeah why not check it first..

timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I worry? Metallic engine oil. Reply with quote

yeah that's either break in paste from camshaft or timing gear powder.
not to worry, if it's timing gear powder you have maybe 8,500 miles of happy motoring, minus the 350km you've already put on. Pulling the oil pump & looking in the timing gear area might solve the mystery. But I prefer driving.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Should I worry? Metallic engine oil. Reply with quote

Do two more 800 km trips/ distances with oil changes after each.

Then post back your nice clean oil and be happy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: