Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

put a good 10 hrs on the van today. Did a bunch of stuff to it:
took newly braided/sheathed electical lines and ran them front to back while zip tying these to the pan.

I also removed the pesky aircooled heat vent box that sits right between the driver/passenger well/ in front of the gas tank. I have the parking brake disconnected, I think it would have been possible with that connected.

Electrical:
I used a Del City fiberglass braided sheath https://www.delcity.net/store/Fiberglass,-High-Temp-Wire-Loom/p_806821.h_806822 for all electrical under the van.
Inside the sheath, each wire was also loomed with a PETG braid.
On the left chassis/rail:
1. CANBUS for Infinibox
2. 2 8GA wires for power to rear Infinibox
3. ODBII wire so I can get ODBII front
4. SDI cable for the wired backup cam
5. Relay for infinibox (my bad on the programming, but whatever)

On the right side of the van/chassis:
1. Drive by wire cable for the gas pedal
2. a pair of 8GA wires to have constant 12v on the ECU

Coolant/Other:
For all other lines I replaced with silicone, high temp, corrosion resistant lines. I was even able to color code the cabin heater core lines nicely.
Everywhere I could (or had them) i opted not to use worm gear and use constant torque clamps.
1. routed main engine coolant lines SS runs, tightened the hose clamps.
2. Ran and routed the intercooler in/out lines to front (intercooler not mounted yet).
3. ran and routed the front cabin heater lines as well.
4. installed the Vanistan front cabin heater valve.
5. ran and routed the brake vacuum line (also used a silicone vacuum line specific for brake vacuum).

Im curious how all the things turn out. I did test every electrical run for grounding and continuity.

The different brake vacuum line certainly is different than most folks use, ill be interested to see if it pans out, or if i end up opting for the stock hard-tube. I bought the brake vacuum hose from here https://www.siliconehose.com/vacuum-hose-and-tubing/ [/list]

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up Reply with quote

curious-- does anyone add an additional wrap to the coolant lines where they are exposed (near the transaxle) for additional protection?

My Build Thread:
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up Reply with quote

not much for pics this round since most of it is invisible.

- installed serp belt, but did it in such a way to remove the power steering and air compressors. Will get to these later, not essential for driving.
- ran wiring up the drivers side D pillar for lighting, brake lights, etc
- sorted wiring for rear side of the van, cut and crimped all wires in general lengths, lots of soldering here. Was up until 10pm last night soldering
- cleaned up and tested rear lighting panels, side marker lights, and front turn signals. had to remove some of my old red spray paint, which i marked up body work ye yonder year ago when i started this
- installed ECU and all wiring for the boxeer harness
- installed intercooler pump and fuel pump in final positions
- installed coolant bottle and crimped the bottle connectors. Also did a little test of the coolant sensor, make sure it works- yeah, resistance based

Couple thnigs incoming from the internet vendor people: fuel lines, fuel one-way valve, 8-12mm reducer for fuel outlet from the 12mm tank exit, 1/0ga wire for battery->starter, brass T so that I can have the intercooler overflow go into the main coolant bottle on a pressure burst rather than all over the engine.

Kinda pissed because the carpeting that I put up on the pop top fell down in the 90 degree heat today. I had used some super expensive special adhesive, and double coated it. Guess its back to the drawing board there.

Im headed out for the weekend to motorcycle camp on the 108 in the sierras with my brothers.

My Build Thread:
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up Reply with quote

Been a min since I posted.
Heres what Ive been up to:

1. Removed ALL the coolant hoses that I had run (cabin heater circuit, main coolant circuit and intercooler circuit) and sheathed them in an abrasion resistant outer liner. This was quite the pain in the arse for sure.
Did the same to the whole fuel line system.

2. Prototyped and installed the intercooler up front. Ended up going here since it was the simplest design, and Dave from outwesty has had success witht his location providing good force air cooling. If for some reason i find myself sitting in a lot of hot traffic doing nothing but heating up, I can add some pusher fans there to cool it down.

3. Started balancing the lithium polymer batteries that I have. I think this is a set of 2 200AH packs. One of the packs (4 of them) are in perfect condition. The other 4 are in a *slightly* degraded condition.

I conditioned them by slow charging them up from 2.5v-2.8v where they were sitting to 3.2v and then freezing them, discharging back to 2.5v, and then charging back to 3.2v. Ill at least have 200AH of good batteries to leverage.

My Build Thread:
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up Reply with quote

spent more time on the van this week.

Did this:

1. Rebuilt the parking brake mechanism.
A few things were awry- the bracket in the rear holding the two braided steel lines that run into the rear hubs was flipped upside down, so it ended up twerking the metal sheath a bit. Additionally, when I took the old tank out, the rubber stopper was not put into the metal flanges, but was just sitting outside of it, and another rubber stopper was just empty in the flanges. If thats the worst I find on a 40 year old van, I am happy.
I ended up powder coating the handle to make it purdy. I should have done pink or gold with sparkles, but the lady would kill me.
In the process the sensor button that lets the console know that the brake is on crumbled into a thousand pieces, so I need to get another.. probably

2. I put the gas tank in.
What a real PITA. I think I have a late model tank or something. I had built up all the hoses beforehand. I used a different routing since I am converting this to diesel. Instead of leveraging the ol'e evap system, I am going to take @zeigetist_13's advice and run the evap lines up the B pillars with fuel filters on the ends.
So instead of the two lines running up to evap tanks, I joined them with a T barb fitting and ran a single 'turnover' line. Everything else there is somewhat stock.

When installing the tank, I had to install it three separate times since when I was putting the crossover nipples into the tank, the rubber grommet was dropping into the tank. Hateful little buggers. Eventually I got it all done, and if the tank leaks from a bad seal somewhere, I am certainly taking that to outwesty, because it sucks. Eventually on the third try, I got the lines all cinched in and g2g.
When putting the tank in, it was a real tight fit, and the steel 'straps' claw end did not want to get in those slots. So i bought 2 bottle jacks and lifted the front end off the ground to give a bit more clearance. Even after that, I had to use the bottle jacks to push the straps up into the tank since there was some tightness from the powder coating or whatever. Eventually with enough muscle I got things pushed up and screws in.

Evenings well spent

My Build Thread:
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up Reply with quote

Looking good!

Your update was perfect timing as I might try and tackle my fuel tank install this weekend on my tdi swap. I'm curious about your new 'expansion tank' configuration. It makes sense but I can't picture a place to run the hoses up the b pillar. I'll have to take a closer look in the AM. Have any pics of the fuel filter you used to cap them?
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:
Looking good!

Your update was perfect timing as I might try and tackle my fuel tank install this weekend on my tdi swap. I'm curious about your new 'expansion tank' configuration. It makes sense but I can't picture a place to run the hoses up the b pillar. I'll have to take a closer look in the AM. Have any pics of the fuel filter you used to cap them?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757102&highlight=
this is a thread i started on the topic. Obviously a few things here:
1. has to be a diesel
2. california smog will fail you withoug evaps, even on a diesel

but zeitgeist used old 1/4" bug filters.

B pillars should have the air vents at the bottom. Usually super rusted

My Build Thread:
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up Reply with quote

Subscribed ..

This is an awesome project, obviously, and well documented!

Thanks for sharing!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up Reply with quote

charleslabri wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757102&highlight=
this is a thread i started on the topic. Obviously a few things here:
1. has to be a diesel
2. california smog will fail you withoug evaps, even on a diesel

but zeitgeist used old 1/4" bug filters.

B pillars should have the air vents at the bottom. Usually super rusted

Thanks for the follow-up, I'll dig in further today!
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
Subscribed ..

This is an awesome project, obviously, and well documented!

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Andy!

My Build Thread:
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up Reply with quote

Been a productive weekend.

1. Electrical Testing / Final Base Layer
I installed the final bits into the passenger seatbox for battery, main fuses, infinity box power runs + termination solenoid + Starter wiring.

I did the initial testing of the infinity box system by doing a trigger from a (mastercell) switch ground, and then seeing it actuate a line. I chose to trigger a running light. Hooray, it worked.

Now I need to find the final place for the master/powercells up front. My initial location seems to be overshadowed by the rather large windshield wiper motor, so I might just build a custom mount in-dash. Well see.

2. Fuel and Intercooler Pump (maybe ECU?)
I decided then to test the intercooler/fuel pump on the boxeer kit, so I hooked up the ground and positive leads to the mini harness for the fuel/intercoolers to the infinity box leads in the rear and triggered them on. No luck, didnt turn on. So I unplugged, and tested with the voltmeter and found the infinity box lead giving a good 12v. I tested the ground in the mini harness, and that was solid to the battery. So i pulled the harness out and tested the leads on the positive/negative terminals on the intercooler and fuel pumps, they both had continuity from + to -. That doesnt make sense in my mind, so I asked boxeer to help me find out whats going on there. Waiting a response.

3. Washer Fluid Reservoir
The original west german tank was worse for wear, but i didnt want to buy another one since the isssue was just cracking from old plastics. I used gorilla glue and just repaired the seams that had split. It holds water and the pump works like a champ. if i get leaky down the road, ill either replace it or just fiberglass the thing.

4. Starter Motor Hookup
Dreading getting under the van again in the dirt, I suited up and laid down under the van and cut the rear portion of the new 1/0 gauge all copper starter cable to fit and installed a fusion solder 5/16 stud end. That was fun to cut with a cutoff wheel laying on my back in the dust. My neighbor walked by and said 'haha, what are you doing? taking a nap?' Thanks bud.
Either way, I got that hooked up, bolted on, and also ran the starter trigger from the infinity box lead and attached it to the other terminal (I cant remember which is the 50 or the 15, but you have to be really confused to get it wrong).
No pic here, but its pretty standard.

5. Washer Nozzles + Hose
Next up was a fun one. Its the easy stuff that makes you feel like you have progress. I had gotten some new tri-nozzles from a samba rec here. I also got 5' of 4mm ID silicone tubing and a 1-way tri split 4mm splitter.
For posterity, 5' is about the perfect amount. Maybe 4' would do it. Slapped that all together and boy did it look good to have something external installed.

6. Wiper Motor + Arm
I also installed the wiper motor + arm in its final resting place. A bit at a loss here as I had ordered some of the seals that were supposed to be on the wiper shaft at the body, as my old ones were completely withered. The new ones were absolutely not the right size. Couldnt even fit them over the wiper shaft. Bummer, so Ill have to figure out what went wrong there, but regardless, its all in place.

7. Steering Column Electrical Testing
I started trying to figure out the craziness that are all the switches on the steering column. Honestly the electrical diagram is hardly any help since it doesnt really focus on function, but rather wiring color and runs. So I spent a few hours figuring out which switch did what.
Everything was pretty clear except for a few odd wires out.

unknowns: Solid Green on the wiper plug, red/yellow on the brake plug and EVERYTHING on the 4 wire plug that is just to the lower left of the key/ignition plug.
If anyone has a diagram of these switches, that would be immensely helpful.. otherwise ill just figure it out with trial and error.

8. Truck Mirrors
I dropped the truck mirrors on since they were just taking space in my garage and allowing the squirrels another box to store nuts for the winter in. These were straightforward, took about an hour to install.
Was pretty bummed that NONE of the hardware was included. Thanks super-nice-vendor-who-shall-not-be-named.
I put every screw in with a hefty dose of tef-gel to ensure that that shiz dont rust away forever.

9. Fuel Tank Final Wrap + 2.5g of Diesel
Lastly I hooked up the fuel filler neck and bolted it into the body. I had powder coated the exterior, so it looks all nice. I am still unsure why VW switched from the metal neck to the smaller plastic neck. Im sure someone in here knows, or ill find out eventually.
I topped it off by adding 2.5 gallons of diesel. So happy, nothing leaked yet.

My Build Thread:
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up Reply with quote

Made some progress, no pics, but heres it:

1. the rear infinitybox flew a capacitor. Spoke with Jay and the crew (best support on any product youll ever have). They are sending me a replacement, probably getting in Saturday. Ill install it and get the ignition all hooked up.

2. I filled up the main coolant lines + intercooler and found two leaks. One was on the intercooler brass fittings, just needed to tighten them up. The second was on the joint from the coolant fill bottle to the main engine block. That one was a puncture in the rubber. Who knows where that came in from. Since I had it full, that made quite a mess. But all sorted.

3. I used some hokey-pokey squid wire and started up the engine. Started fine, idled fine. Let run and tested temps. Had a hard time getting the temp above 50c. Its 90F out, so this is one cold beast.

4. Hooked up the washer wiper fluid tank, and tested it with the new nozzles. It shot over the van.. damn these are strong. I might have to adjust my joint where they split to be in the dead center so that each nozzle gets equal pressure. Right now they are not equidistant from the pump and the drivers side gets a major squirt.

5. Also hooked up the wiring for the new derale fan i have down there. I did a test to make sure it was pulling, not pushing.. works great.

My Build Thread:
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up Reply with quote

I really like the innovative wiring work you're doing here. Can't wait to see how it turns out in the end.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I really like the innovative wiring work you're doing here. Can't wait to see how it turns out in the end.

Its def going to make electrical super simple in the van. I think those with gremlins would probably be happy with the changes.

I plan to write up some diagrams once I get everythinng set in place. There have been a few 'gotchas' for me around sensors front/back.

My Build Thread:
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up Reply with quote

Another major progress weekend for me. Id say a milestone!

1. CV axles
This was probably the biggest improvement so far this weekend. I installed the CV axles and joints.
I didnt realize that you needed the thing jacked up in order to do this job, so I got a few jacks and threw it up. I had struggled laying in the dirt for about 15m when i realized that it was just not going to happen.
It was valuable though, since I had no idea what gear my transaxle was in, so when i started the van, it was in first. That would have been a sour end to the van to have it lurch into a pine tree and get destroyed.

(also bled the clutch in here)

Anyway, I put the CVs in and was able to get the thing in gear, turn the van around in my front area so the slider was facing my front door. This greatly increases my workability on the van.

Heres a note though.. dont do this without seats in (as i did). I didnt realize that the chair you sit in is really the leverage you have to hit brake and clutch! I almost ran into a few trees when moving the van around.

Probably something of interest was that the original 48mm (shaft) CV bolts that came with the 944 CVs didnt have enough thread purchase for my comfort. So I opted to use the 50mm 12pt socket CV bolts that I had from T3technique. These worked out well.

2. Dashboard cutting for electrical
I had been racking my brain as to where to put the electrical front units (mastercell/powercell) for the van. I had played around with a lot of different places, and ended up landing on the passenger dash area. I know there are a lot of hoses up in there, but there also is some space if you get creative.
I cut the dash and created a sort of tray for the two infinity box units. Ill also fab a cover with some knobs so I can put the cover on and latch it down. For normal troubleshooting/etc you need access to these units, so I figured this was the spot.

I have a old style metal dash, so cutting was ez, and ill end up powdercoating the whole thing to look nice.

3. Headlight refab
I took the time to rebuild the headlights and powdercoat all the hardware. Came out really nice. Thankfully I had taken a video of the function before I took it apart, since the plastic knob things are all in a very particular fashion. Id highly recommend anyone rebuilding headlights to REALLY pay attention (with pictures) as to how they are mounted, what was is up/down, which side is L/R, and how each piece fits together and which bolt/nylon washer goes where.
I ended up putting LEDs in the main headlights/pilots. I kept the H1 minis in the SA headlights for now. If i want more blinding power, I can always add LEDs in.. maybe yellow bulbs for fog, well see.

4. License plate mount

Straight forward. I glass blasted the license plate mount and then just rattle canned it with self-etching primer. I also did the airbox mount tabs the same.

5. Exhaust wrap
I had heard/seen some concern about the engine kit that I have regarding the amount of heat the exhaust kicks up right next to the intake. I decided to wrap the exhaust with some volcano wrap to keep the heat down. Turned out nicely. I tied it off with 20ga anodized wire.

6. Driver/Passenger/Slider lock refab
I took the locks apart to just get the grime, grease and crud that builds up in there after many years.
I dipped all the parts in rust mort and did multiple sessions until all the rust was completely gone/blacked. The rust mort ate away at about 99% of the rust after 4 long soaks. I then anodized the parts with a black anodizing kit that I have laying around. Everything came out nice. I can post pics if anyone is interested, but its just black bolts- pretty standard.
I used my black rifle balm that i had mentioned in another contentious thread to lubricate the lock cyls. Ill take the handles themseves to the shop tomorrow for powder.

My Build Thread:
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up Reply with quote

Got into some electrical work this week.

I rebuilt all connections to the front: lighting, cooling fan, horn and wiper washer motor pump.

I used nice 14ga pure copper wire for all these runs. Insulated all connections. I reused the original plug housings after pulling all the tabs out and refreshing them. Though really simple, I added a wiring diagram to my personal notes.
Its nice that every wire basically home runs to the powercell on the infinity box. No more gremlin hunting.
I chained a few wires to give multi-functionality,
high beams trigger the HIGH on the primary headlight + the H1 bulbs on the SA lights.
parking lights turn on the pilot lights in the main headlights.

I also added LEDs from superbrightLEDs.c o m to the main headlight, pilot lights and blinkers. I need to get some H1s to replace the halogens in the SA lights (and I need one more pilot LED, for some reason I only had 1).

the electrical workshop where I listen to long episodes of the Martyr Made podcast and crimp, cut and plan electrical:

the lights installed:

grill gently set in for a sense of accomplishment:

I also installed the drivers seat so that I could drive without the death wish of driving with no seat:

My Build Thread:
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up Reply with quote

busy weekend with the Caldor fire burning 12 miles from my home. Under threat of fire evacuation, I made some swift progress on a few things in order to get this thing minimum-viable-product for road worh in case of an immediate evac.

First up, windshield! (rest of the windows are out for tint)

Second up, some bumpers (went with RMW's)- this allows me to throw my bike on as an escape pod/getaround vehicle if the van has catastrophic failure if an evac happens

third.. hook up the BASIC electrics (ignition/starter on key, headlights, brake lights, running lights)

I did a little futzing with my pop top bar.. rebuilt it last summer and its been sitting in a box. So i assembled and lubed it. Threw it up and realized that i didnt add the pop-top bar lowering tabs when i cut out my roof Sad I might just modify the bars to have a sort of L-shape on the lowering tabs rather than welding the roof. Ill think of something later. (and yes, my hull-liner fell down after 1 year of being up there. Thanks 3M)

I started just putting odds and ends back in the van.. some vent seals and other stuff. Found the lock-back mechanism for the slider (yay), but dont have the spring (OH NOES!) ill have to hunt around for that .. or try to source one.

I also was trying to clean up some slop in the steering column which kept pushing my snap ring out-- turns out the steering was pretty out of wack. I tightened this up to as close as spec as I could ( i got to 5mm i believe).

Then I took it out for a test drive! That felt really nice to actually move the van with the engine rather than push it around by hand. Seriously. I am over pushing the van back and forth to the shop next door (shop seen in ^ photo). Pretty big achievement for me.. this has been the largest project ive ever undertaken (this was harder than building my own house).

My Build Thread:
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up Reply with quote

i kind of wonder... is this REALLY a 1981 model anymore? I guess the slider and shifter are '81

My Build Thread:
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up Reply with quote

That's awesome that you got to do a test drive.

The spring for that slider door retainer latch is not a high tension spring. I'd think something could be made or a spring adapted for that part/use; it only needs to be strong enough to keep the lever pushed out as needed.

Using something like google image search might help find a solution.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up Reply with quote

Here we go. Ive been putting in 10-12 hour days every day.

Heres what ive been up to!
1. Tinting the windows
All my glass had been sitting, wrapped in old towels, in my shed, and I needed to get it tacken care of. I brought it down to a tint place in Reno and had them put 5% ceramic on all the rear windows and a 95% ceramic on the drivers/passengers rollers. I know its illegal in Cali to have any tint on your driver/passenger windows, but I wanted to keep the sun off my left side on long road trips. I went with ceramic due to the heat reduction

2. Installing the vent wing windows
Next up was installing these little bastards. My original vent wings were just rusted nothings held together by the rubber seal, which someone had replaced onto rotted metal not too long ago. I got new ones from busdepot. Few notes. #1 cant powder coat them without a LOT of work as the plastics are all integrated to the frame. Youd have to re-design some things to get the lower tilt plastic out. #2 the upper tabs seem to be at a slightly wrong angle for my van and it causes the window to be sort of pushed back. You can see it in this picture. I was able to correct this, mostly, through pulling the upper screw out and bending the metal tab with pliers a bit. Never got it perfect, but it works ok. Def wish my OEM ones werent all in tatters.

3. installing the other windows + constructing the slider windows
So ive (at this point) solo installed all the windows except the rear which I intend to do today. They have all been smooth except for the slider window which was a TIGHT fit, really tight. In fact, the slider window was so tight that the sliding door one split the seal completely. Thats a bummer, so I had to order a replacement. The rest of the windows went in sort of easy. This would be nicer as a two person job since I was super scared that I would be inside the van pulling the string and have the window pop out to the ground. Thankfully that hasnt happened yet. I used the standard string method with soapy water. I was going to have this guy come install them, but he bailed twice. This is why I tell my wife I couldnt pay someone to do this work.

4. cleaning up the lock tumblers
I cleaned up all the lock tumblers and such. The slider door tumbler was always a pain as it used a different key, so I filed down the tumblers to fit properly. Now the key works great in the slider door. In my shuffling I lost the small M2 screw that locks the slider into the handle. Bummer. its NLA. I need to check around with locksmithing shops and such to see about a replacement.

5. found my sliding door latch back spring!
I thought thou waseth lost, but thou hath been found. I had been trying to secure one of these when lo and behold there it was in the bottom of the wrong parts box.

6. powder coating my door handles
Pretty straight forward. Notes on future powder coaters: DONT powdercoat the slider door inser/block end. This makes reinstalling hard.

7. new ECU from boxeer
Greg has a new tune for the engine, and the previous gen had some issues as the EGT was disconnected and at my altitude, that could be catastrophic. I installed the ECU and drive it down to the gas station for a fill up.

8. installing pop top hardware + tent
Oh my this was some work. I even installed the hinges wrong. Being that this was a REQUIRED 2 person job, ive been delaying it until I can yank a neighbor boy.
a. I installed the rack mounts, super straightforward
b. I installed the rear hinges.. backwards. I can see any reason why this would be an issue except it makes installing them a bit harder, a more multi-step process. There could be an issue with water, but it might be similar the other way. I intend to do some water treatment to the bolt holes.
c. my hull liner i put up last year fell down in the winter. Might be because I didnt have anything except the glue itself staying on (used permatex blue top). This time i re-glued it and added most the supports. Still need to finish the skylight.
d. the hull liner absolutely interferes with the pop top latch handle. My recommendation for anyone doing a sort of carpet up top is that you NEED to cut out the area under the handle or else the trigger gets caught in it. I can pop it in and out, but if it gets really precious ill remove the handle and razor a bit out of there.
e. my pop top has the later-style aluminum rails, which I am thankful. Pretty straight forward installation. My mother made some repairs to my busdepot tent that came with the vehicle. good enough condition to reuse. thanks mom!

My Build Thread:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: