Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 bay torsion arm removel
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: 78 bay torsion arm removel Reply with quote

So I got a few ball joints that need changed.
Looking for advice on taking torsion arms off, so I can get the old ball joints pressed out.
I tried pressing them out on bus, but I think its going to take a bigger press to get them out.

I've read that you remove the rubber bumper from both sides to let the pressure off. But after I've removed the bumpers, I still have some spring preload on the torsion arms.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 bay torsion arm removel Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 bay torsion arm removel Reply with quote

Obviously you'll be removing all the front end components including the steering knuckle to get to those torsion arms.

The bottom arms will rotate downwards and should slide out easily when you remove the grub screw, no problems there.

You'll have more trouble with the uppers - I found that removing the upper rubber bump stops helped. With them removed, the torsion arm will bottom out on the bump stop support, what I will call a "stump" lol.

You'll want to user a dead blow hammer to carefully persuade the arm from the the inside, tapping as close as possible to the tube end of the arm...and bit by bit the arm will slide out of the tube. When the arm gets past the small bump stop support "stump" you can then rotate the torsion arm down and it will slide out of the tube.

Inspect the arms for any major wear or grooves. Replace the torsion arm seals while you are there, and be sure to have a grease gun and at least one full new tube of grease ready to go after installation. You can get new torsion seals and rubber bump stops from West Coast Metric.

Installation is pretty much the reverse of removal.

Replacing the ball joints isn't tough if you have the proper tools. I have a 20 ton press, the VW 459 ball joint tool, and a torch. A shop with a press could also do the press work for you.

Be prepared and have a plan, you'll be good.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: 78 bay torsion arm removel Reply with quote

That upper arm is under the tension load of the leaves. As you tap it out away from the “stump”, once it clears the end, its gonna swing forcefully down. Ive always kept a floor jack just touching the tip of the arm so that when this occurs, you catch all that spring force on the jack. As you tap the arm outward make sure the jack wheels are oriented to let it roll forward as the arm swings down. Then you can let the jack down nice and easy.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 78 bay torsion arm removel Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the help

Now for the magic trick of getting the torsion arms back on.
How do you get the bars to all line up to get it back on there.
I was thinking about trying some loctite in between each bar and getting them lined up, clamping them over night why it drys.

How on earth did they do it at the factory?

Any other ideas?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 78 bay torsion arm removel Reply with quote

one side was welded. Slide both sides on before you start lifting one or the other. If you do one completely then the other, the individual bars splay out. If you slide each arm on part way first, there is no pressure on the bars to lose their form.
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 bay torsion arm removel Reply with quote

Ok, thanks
I was trying to do 1 side at a time.
I was worried about moving those bars inside the tube by taking both sides off at the same time. Wasn't sure if tapping other side to clear the knuckle would possibly slide the bars.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 bay torsion arm removel Reply with quote

avoll wrote:
Ok, thanks
I was trying to do 1 side at a time.
I was worried about moving those bars inside the tube by taking both sides off at the same time. Wasn't sure if tapping other side to clear the knuckle would possibly slide the bars.

The bars are locked by the grub screw in the center and will not move side to side unless you loosen the grub screw.

Wrap the torsion leaves a couple of times with mechanic's wire and then twist the wire tight. Use a light hammer to tap the leaves into alignment. The torsion arms should now slide on without much effort.
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 bay torsion arm removel Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all the help.
Anyone know the torque for the torsion arm set screws?
What is the specs of the bolt for the top of the shock?
I think someone put the wrong size bolt in mine.
Thanks again
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 bay torsion arm removel Reply with quote

avoll wrote:
Thanks everyone for all the help.
Anyone know the torque for the torsion arm set screws?

There's not a spec I can find on the torsion arms, but for the torsion bar, the setscrews and lock nuts get torqued to 29 ft. lb.

I think you'd be safe to follow the same spec for the arms.

avoll wrote:

What is the specs of the bolt for the top of the shock?
I think someone put the wrong size bolt in mine.
Thanks again

Top bolt is an M12, not sure of the length or thread pitch though. The torque spec is 36 ft. lb.

Someone else may know and will chime in.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: