Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig ignition fuse
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Bostig ignition fuse Reply with quote

It's been a very long time since I posted thanks to my Bostig conversion.

My ignition fuse blew and I used tinfoil to get me home.
The top 2 relays were pretty warm when I got home.

I noticed the coil pack on the back of the motor is loose.

Where do I go from here?
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig ignition fuse Reply with quote

#1 Tighten the screws holding down the coil.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig ignition fuse Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
#1 Tighten the screws holding down the coil.

I will, I was thinking there me be a wire leading to it that is shorted somewhere. Anyone know what color?

Also, why would a loose coil cause a high amperage draw?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig ignition fuse Reply with quote

If you have an actual short, wrapping the fuse in foil would have melted the harness from the fuse to the short. Not good. Since you made it home, you likely have a current draw that is higher than the rating of the fuse. Not an actual short to ground.

You’d want to see what loads connect to that power supply. Then an amp meter can measure the load.

In the mean time remove your foil fuse and replace it with a new one. See if it blows immediately, indicating an excessive draw or down the road a lesser draw. If it blows eventually, you could try the next size fuse up with caution.

Loose connections can increase current draw.
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig ignition fuse Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
If you have an actual short, wrapping the fuse in foil would have melted the harness from the fuse to the short. Not good. Since you made it home, you likely have a current draw that is higher than the rating of the fuse. Not an actual short to ground.

You’d want to see what loads connect to that power supply. Then an amp meter can measure the load.

In the mean time remove your foil fuse and replace it with a new one. See if it blows immediately, indicating an excessive draw or down the road a lesser draw. If it blows eventually, you could try the next size fuse up with caution.

Loose connections can increase current draw.

Thanks
Ronzo_volvo_guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig ignition fuse Reply with quote

MarkWard:

If you're going to make a statement like "Loose connections can increase current draw." you should back it up with some facts or maybe examples, because as a rule, a poor connection increases the effective R of a circuit, and since current (I) is determined by V/R (Ohms Law), an increasing R in the denominator would mean that current would decrease.

The only time an increase in the supply circuit R (or decrease in supply V) could possibly result in an increase in current current is if there is some sort of smart "Constant Power Circuit" between the power source and load, where the smart circuit keeps power on the load constant (a good example: Xenon Lights) , but other occurrences these are rare in cars (I welcome being corrected here, but don't think Ignition or Injection have any constant power provisions)...most circuits are quite basic, and dumb, with no Constant Power Circuit in sight, so current is strictly governed by that Ohms Law I = V /R thing...

See also: http://www.sw-em.com/Fuses,%20Allocation%20and%20Troubleshooting.htm#Corrosion_Caused_a_Blown_Fuse

Cheers

Last edited by Ronzo_volvo_guy on Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig ignition fuse Reply with quote

Ronzo_volvo_guy wrote:
MarkWard:

If you're going to make a statement like "Loose connections can increase current draw." you should back it up with some facts or maybe examples, because as a rule, a poor connection increases the effective R of a circuit, and since current (I) is determined by V/R (Ohms Law), an increasing R in the denominator would mean that current would decrease.

The only time an increase in the supply circuit R (or decrease in supply V) could possibly result in an increase in current current is if there is some sort of smart "Constant Power Circuit" between the power source and load, where the smart circuit keeps power on the load constant (a good example: Xenon Lights) , but other occurrences these are rare in cars (I welcome being corrected here, but don't think Ignition of Injection have any constant power provisions)...most circuits are quite basic, and dumb, with no Constant Power Circuit in sight, so current is strictly governed by that Ohms Law I = V /R thing...

See also: http://www.sw-em.com/Fuses,%20Allocation%20and%20Troubleshooting.htm#Corrosion_Caused_a_Blown_Fuse

Cheers

Goodbye Samba. Lt. Blue Vanagon
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig ignition fuse Reply with quote

The little wires that attach to the coil are a known failure point. Try replacing the harness with this: Dorman 645-302 Ignition Coil Connector. It's on Amazon and your FLAPS.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig ignition fuse Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
The little wires that attach to the coil are a known failure point. Try replacing the harness with this: Dorman 645-302 Ignition Coil Connector. It's on Amazon and your FLAPS.

Thanks, I just ordered the Motorcraft version on Rockauto.
Love this forum
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig ignition fuse Reply with quote

I hope you track this down and post the diagnosis.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig ignition fuse Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First time I had a chance to look at it.
Found the issue.

Guess I just need to move the metal harness clip and cover the exposed wire
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig ignition fuse Reply with quote

Cleaned up the engine bay a bit.

Put some liquid electrical tape on it.

Bent the metal tab out of the way.

Fastened down the coil pack.

Fixed.

Also fixed the slight power surge problem we've had for years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: