Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New tires for 1964?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: New tires for 1964? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

Am I correct in thinking that 155 comes closer in size to the original 560/15 than 165 does?

Yep! the 155 r15 WAS the 'radial' tire size for replacement of the 560/15 or 600/15 bias ply tires on VW's up through about the mid 1970's when the 165 radial size began to become prevalent. I can remember my first set of Michelin "ZX" 155's on my '72 beetle that replaced the original factory set of Fulda Diadems - 560/15 bias - in 1973. What a world of difference they made in handling back then! eventually, the fatter 165's completely supplanted the 155's by the late 70's, early 80's.

I just purchased a set of 165 Vredesteins from Tire Rack for my '57 DKW last month, and they are quite impressive compared to the previous set of Nexxen 165's residing on the DKW for 13 years! The Nexens weren't bad tires or anything, it's just that the Vredesteins are so much better quality and such an immediate sensation of handling improvement! Look more "European" and slightly more period correct as well..Running Michelin XZX made in SERBIA Shocked on my 1967 type1 convertible for 2 years now with no issues.

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: New tires for 1964? Reply with quote

somebody asked about the firestone F60 165's - They are made in Ukranine
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires for 1964? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Am I correct in thinking that 155 comes closer in size to the original 560/15 than 165 does? The Vredesteins that Astronaut linked are a summer only tire to be used at 40 F degrees and above, but that shouldn't be a problem as my Beetle hibernates in cold weather (unheated garage).
Opinions please.

My two cents:
A 5.60x15 tire is ~25.8" in diameter, carcass width of ~5.6", and tread width of ~4"; the standard VW optional radial of the time was 155SR15 which is ~24.8" in diameter, carcass width of ~6.1", and a tread width of ~4.25"; while a 165R15 is ~25.4" in diameter, carcass width of ~6.4", and a tread width of ~4.75". As can be seen from those specs, there really isn't a true radial equivalent to a 5.60x15 bias ply tire -- you have your pick of either fairly close in the width department (155SR15), or you can get pretty close in the heighth department (165R15), but you cannot have the same overall dimensions as a 5.60x15. You have to decide whether close to correct heighth or width is more important to you.

I've had a set of 155SR15 Vredstein Classics on my '60 for over eight years and close to 30k miles now. They're a very good quality tire in my opinion in that they balance well, run true, have a good ride, have good traction on various road surfaces and in all weather except on ice, and as an added bonus they have a good classic style and tread pattern which befits these old cars. At the time I bought them I was unaware they were a summer touring tire only and cannot recall ever seeing any notes about not running them at temps below 40°F until just the past couple of years, as such, I've used them year 'round in temps down to around 20°F. So far I haven't experienced any of the "severe cracking" or damage they purport will occur if you run them below freezing... maybe I'm just lucky, maybe they've changed the compound they use since mine were made.
Jetsrforkids
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires for 1964? Reply with quote

I was looking at the Vredestein 155sr15 or 165HR15, any thoughts on choosing one or the other? I’m looking for a basic tire that has the old narrow look.
Jetsrforkids
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires for 1964? Reply with quote

I just re-read the reply by mukluk, answered my above question perfectly, thanks.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: New tires for 1964? Reply with quote

I have decided to go with Vredestein 155sr15.
It looks like they are available from Tirerack as well as Coker for essentially the same price------(Coker also sells them through JEGS and Summit Racing)---so now the question is "are they the same?".
Decisions, decisions, decisions.......... Confused
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: New tires for 1964? Reply with quote

FWIW when i was looking for my 155R15 F560's Firestones by Coker i looked at Summit and Jegs too. I bought through all three. (Mid pandemic when no-one had them but they all were selling them. Had 5 orders cancelled over 4 mounts... Frustrating.)

My point is that JEGS and Summit drop ship from Coker east or west coast warehouse. They do not stock them locally unless at one of their retail stores. So the tires are all the same.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires for 1964? Reply with quote

Vredestein Sprint Classic is a summer tire, not a race compound. I doubt it's all that sensitive to cold weather.

Some race tires aren't even that sensitive to cold weather either. I've run Toyo R888 and Nankang AR1 in freezing weather and neither were lacking grip, or cracked, or had any other adverse reactions. Either tire would corner well over 1g in freezing weather. I've driven through frozen slush on bald R888's and had zero problems keeping up with the Jeep in front of me. Laughing

For those saying "half worn at 7500 miles" on Nankangs... something is VERY wrong if you're getting that few of miles with street compound tires and normal alignment on a VW. I've gone 6k on Nankang *soft race compound* tires on my autocross car. They last a whole season of autocross, plus 200 track miles, plus around 6k street miles. That's with -4 front and -3.5 rear camber.

The worst tires I've ever had were the pair of 145 Firestone F560 from Coker on the front of my '64 bug. Scary low amounts of traction- cornering was only .74g (pushing badly) and braking went from .91g with 145's to .97 with a set of cheap off brand 195/50's. They developed really bad cracks in storage well before they were ten years old.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires for 1964? Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:

For those saying "half worn at 7500 miles" on Nankangs... something is VERY wrong if you're getting that few of miles with street compound tires and normal alignment on a VW.

Yep nothing that a set of good tires wouldn't cure Wink Had nothing to do with the alignment, just a bad tire.
Glad you had/have good luck with them, I didn't.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires for 1964? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
I have decided to go with Vredestein 155sr15.
It looks like they are available from Tirerack as well as Coker for essentially the same price------(Coker also sells them through JEGS and Summit Racing)---so now the question is "are they the same?".
Decisions, decisions, decisions.......... Confused

I ordered the Vredesteins from Tire Rack on Thursday. Two of them showed up today (Saturday). They look good. And fresh. Date code is 1621 (end of April, 2021).
They are made in Holland.
I'm anxious to see how they ride and drive.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires for 1964? Reply with quote

I got the 155 Vredesteins mounted today. I have only driven on them a few miles and at speeds less than 40 mph, but they are much smoother than the 16 year old low mileage 165 Nankangs. The most obvious change is the steering------it is almost like having power steering around town.
They have not been balanced yet, but if they need it I think I'll give Dyna-Beads a try.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires for 1964? Reply with quote

UPDATE: The Vredestein Sprint Classics (155 SR 15) now have about 500 miles on them, and I couldn't be more pleased. I have not balanced them but I don't think they could be any smoother. Had the old girl up to 80MPH (indicated by speedometer) today and it felt fine. Very Happy
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires for 1964? Reply with quote

I will NEVER under any circumstances buy another set of tires from COKER. I bought a set of Michelin XWX and they were out of round. Bought extra insurance and then called them, and got the run a round, big time. as far as I am concerned and this is the first time I have ever said it, Coker sucks!!! It is called GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE..........try it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: