Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift rod bushing - how to?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Who’s tried the brass bushing from the classifieds? Do you like it? I’m sure you still have to grease up the shift rod but the brass bushing seems to be worry free

"Traveling in a fried-out Kombi
On a hippie trail head full of zombie"
-Men at Work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

I decided that I couldn't put it off any longer, so I replaced the shift rod coupler the other day.
Before I could even take it for a drive, I happened to talk to a friend (retired factory trained VW mechanic) and he insisted that I MUST also replace the bushing up front by the shifter. I told him it looked like a tougher job than I wanted to get into. He wouldn't take "no" for an answer and 1 hour (50 miles) later he was on my doorstep. It took him less than an hour to disassemble the coupler, pull the shift rod out the front, replace the bushing and put it all back together-----oh, I removed and reinstalled the front bumper.
No doubt this is the best thing that has happened to this car in the 17 years we have owned it. It is now far and away the best driving VW I have ever owned. Very Happy
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
I decided that I couldn't put it off any longer, so I replaced the shift rod coupler the other day.
Before I could even take it for a drive, I happened to talk to a friend (retired factory trained VW mechanic) and he insisted that I MUST also replace the bushing up front by the shifter. I told him it looked like a tougher job than I wanted to get into. He wouldn't take "no" for an answer and 1 hour (50 miles) later he was on my doorstep. It took him less than an hour to disassemble the coupler, pull the shift rod out the front, replace the bushing and put it all back together-----oh, I removed and reinstalled the front bumper.
No doubt this is the best thing that has happened to this car in the 17 years we have owned it. It is now far and away the best driving VW I have ever owned. Very Happy

So how did the old shift bushing look - like was it absolutely ready for replacement???? Like mine was, at 260K miles???
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
iowegian wrote:

So how did the old shift bushing look - like was it absolutely ready for replacement???? Like mine was, at 260K miles???

It looked similar to yours but with a mere 132K miles on the clock.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Cusser wrote:
iowegian wrote:

It looked similar to yours but with a mere 132K miles on the clock.

I don't know if they disintegrate from age or mileage but I've had VWs that looked the same with <50K original miles.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noxqcz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Hi, I have 1961 beetle that my Dad bought used in 1963 ( I was 8 years old ) from the VW dealership where he worked, I inherited the car on his passing in 2013. I have restored the car back mostly to stock form. Last time I drove the car I had a little problem with the shifting so I decided to check the shift rod bushing and coupling. I have no idea if they have ever been changed. After removing the shifter I could see what looked like cracks around the edge of the bushing so I thought is was bad. I removed the shift rod, popped out the bushing, it had no clip and the cracks look like they are made in the bushing. All the replacement bushings look nothing like this one, I have read about the earlier bushings not having a clip and thought maybe this was one of them. It will be replaced with a new one. Just curious about the one I took out. I have seen no pictures of one like this. Any ideas? Thanks

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

I thought that looked familiar, maybe a 1-year only early version, but searching comes up empty. The rear Bus couplers have that floral/finger style on one end, but not both.
noxqcz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Thanks, the mystery continues......
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

If I recall, my 1960 Bug did not have a clip around the shift bushing.

A quick trip to "Progressive Refinements" in the Frame section shows that the clip was added to the shift rod bushing on Aug. 3, 1961 at frame number 4027316. The plastic bushing started being used on June 11, 1960 at frame number 3140046.
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

I had removed the shift rod a few weeks ago and I was dreading this task but today was the day I decided to plan on at "least" a 2 hr. install for a new bushing and coupler by myself. Surprised this only took 20mins. Shocked
I compressed the plastic bushing with a rubber band so, I could slide it into the bracket with my finger and once it was in, I carefully removed the band to let it expand in grove. Like others said, greased the bushing and slid the rod in to the opening, making sure all was aligned then went to front and pushed firmly in. Went and greased, pushed in, back and forth etc. til rod was all the way back. It honestly took me longer to get the coupling sleeve installed into coupler. I made sure grub screw hole was facing in the correct upright direction and then turned coupler to insert the sleeve and then rotated to get bolt into other side.
Im sure something else will take 10Xs as long to make up for it.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Been there, Done that Smile . It took me about 3 or 4 hours but I wasnt in too much of a hurry, getting everthing out of the way took the most time. The PVC pipe helped getting the shift rod back where it blonged.

pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

noxqcz wrote:
Thanks, the mystery continues......

That is no mystery, you have the eary type. Keep it, I also kept mine. Perhaps we need them in future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ricks63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

I'm ready to reinstall my shift rod hanger with new bushing. My question is could I possibly reinstall my new hanger without welding? I'm not a welder so I'm looking for suggestions. I tried the wire coat hanger almost worked but gets stuck in rear of car.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

If you mean this:

haven't some used bolts and nuts ???
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Ricks63rag wrote:
I'm ready to reinstall my shift rod hanger with new bushing. My question is could I possibly reinstall my new hanger without welding? I'm not a welder so I'm looking for suggestions. I tried the wire coat hanger almost worked but gets stuck in rear of car.

How about bolting just the hanger in place with the shifter bolts?

What I have in mind is to get a set screw and a nut with those threads (8x1.25mm I believe) and attaching the hanger to the frame with one of the shifter bolts, and at the other end the stud and nut. No shifter at this point. Make the stud quite long, perhaps a bolt with the head cut off, because you will have to hold on to it later.

After running the shift rod through the new hanger bushing and into the rear coupler you can turn back to installing the shifter. Remove the shifter bolt then loosen the nut on the stud. Holding the stud run that nut all the way off the top then put the shifter back down in its place. The stud had to be long enough for you to hold low when the nut or shifter and near the top and up high when the nut of shifter is lower to the frame. Lower the shifter into place and run the nut down with your fingers. Then install the other shifter bolt. At this point you can unscrew the nut and the stud and install the second shifter bolt.

Basically, the long threaded stud is a bolt to hold the shift hanger in place while you install the shift rod, and then and handle to hold the shift rod and hanger up while you install the shifter down over it into place. This is sure to frustrate the hell out of the next person who goes to replace the shift rod bushing. Twisted Evil
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Or, glue it up with super glue or JB weld! Hold it in place with bolts until cured, then bolt it up. I bet it would last. Smile

Or, some countersunk self tapping screws!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Ricks63rag,
Depending on the size of the holes, after removing the spot welds from the hanger.
You could pop rivet the hanger in place.

Welding it would be ideal though.
There has to be a neighbor near you that has a flux core welder in their garage.

I have rented a flux core welder from a rental agency in the past. It produced, ugly, but serviceable welds. After grinding they looked ok.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Ricks63rag wrote:

How about bolting just the hanger in place with the shifter bolts?

What I have in mind is to get a set screw and a nut with those threads (8x1.25mm I believe) and attaching the hanger to the frame with one of the shifter bolts, and at the other end the stud and nut. No shifter at this point. Make the stud quite long, perhaps a bolt with the head cut off, because you will have to hold on to it later.

After running the shift rod through the new hanger bushing and into the rear coupler you can turn back to installing the shifter. Remove the shifter bolt then loosen the nut on the stud. Holding the stud run that nut all the way off the top then put the shifter back down in its place. The stud had to be long enough for you to hold low when the nut or shifter and near the top and up high when the nut of shifter is lower to the frame. Lower the shifter into place and run the nut down with your fingers. Then install the other shifter bolt. At this point you can unscrew the nut and the stud and install the second shifter bolt.

Basically, the long threaded stud is a bolt to hold the shift hanger in place while you install the shift rod, and then and handle to hold the shift rod and hanger up while you install the shifter down over it into place. This is sure to frustrate the hell out of the next person who goes to replace the shift rod bushing. Twisted Evil

Did you own my car before me? This is how mine is. Just held together with the shifter bolts.

Definitely frustrated me. But since my welder was broken, it went back together that way after some fiddling to get it all back together.
classicbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Was having difficulties shifting -- I came to this all-knowing fountain of knowledge (and YouTube) -- decided I needed to tackle this job.
I *thought* it would be a relatively simple project--(that was four days, knuckle skin, blood, and curse words ago!)

- Issue one, couldn't get shift rod out unless bumper was removed. Solved

- Issue two, suffered bodily injury attempting to push new bushing into place. Tried greasing it. Tried slightly beveling the edges for easier entry to the bracket. No. Luck!

(Every time I work on this "1960" Beetle, I discover all sorts of history mystery! When doing the headliner, I noticed it had a sunroof -- the opening was been welded over)

I decided to inspect the bushing bracket (not easy since I don't own a tiny periscope-thingy). From the photos, it appears as if someone welded a big-arse washer where the bracket used to be. I was able to retrieve the old bushing--I *assume* it was once in place and "working" properly, but who knows. Interestingly, the diameter is approximately the same size as a new one, so why-oh-why can't I push the bushing into place!!!
Other than throwing in the towel and leaving to the pros, (probably $1,000 repair), anyone have suggestions for a resolution? Yes, I have considered pushing the car off of a boat dock and purchasing a reliable Honda Accord instead.

(BTW, when I attempted to put the rod back in place (I was going to use it as a ram-rod to push the bushing), I realized the only way to get it to slide back in was to jack up the front end of the car a few inches. The car has been lowered to the extent that clearance through the openings for the rod is impeded.

I'm stuck! HELP. ME. PLEASE

!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: