Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield washer
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Windshield washer Reply with quote

Mine's never worked. Today I decided to fix it. I have power to the pump so I'm going to buy a replacement pump (gowesty). The tube to the nozzles, however seems kinked and crushed. Like someone took down the reservoir, couldn't figure out the problem and then jammed it back up catching the hose between the reservoir and frame.

Can someone suggest an easy way to splice a new section of tube to replace just the damaged section? I did a quick perusal of threads about replacing the whole line and it seems like a can of worms. I really don't want to remove my dash.

Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer Reply with quote

I recently spliced the washer tubing to my rear window in order to replace the weatherproof boot. I used a 3/16” brass barb connector. Good luck!

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer Reply with quote

Are you sure you need a new pump? Did you test your current one?

Craig
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
Are you sure you need a new pump? Did you test your current one?

Had power at the fuse and the connector but motor didn't work, so I assume motor was bad. Now that I think about it maybe the previous owner put the plug in backwards? I kind of doubt it. He was a JPL engineer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer Reply with quote

I had some issues with my pump when I got it - turned out a previous owner replaced the connectors, and they had corroded/were not connecting well (hence the intermittent problems)

I cut the ends off, and put new connectors on - no problems since.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer Reply with quote

Just finished fixing my non working windshield washer. Took everything apart and noticed that the motor was not getting 12v in a consistent manner. Took off the steering stalk, cleaned up the contacts (electric spray and 400 grit emery paper) and it's working great. Lesson to all: Do this every 30 years or so.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer Reply with quote

Replacing the hoses does not require dropping the dash. Tie a string to the PS hose and when you withdraw it. You now have a messenger to pull the new one back. The DS is accessible. Put the T connection wherever you want for convenience.

Duncan
Ronzo_volvo_guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer Reply with quote

Forum;

Duncan's suggested method is THE technique when doing a total tube replacement, but as a option, if just splicing is called for, plastic 3/16" hose connectors are common for aquarium air hose...

Also, I've never tried using the silicon aquarium air line, but it seems to me that it's the same size and would last a lot longer before becoming hard as a rock.

Cheers
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer Reply with quote

Why would you splice and risk leaks when new rubber--and use rubber, not plastic--is so cheap? Rubber can grab the nozzle spigots and be less apt to slip off than plastic. This is a no brainer. And while you are at it, XO the factory nozzles which are terrible. There are plenty of improvements out there. Personally I like wet arms. https://www.amazon.com/Wet-Kit-Wiper-Arm-Replacement/dp/B00G1FYAGS Not as sexy as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07AZHkkLR0k

I have two nozzles fixed on each arm and the rubber tube runs down the arm and through a grommet at the base of the pivot. Highly recommend this adaptation. Didn't bother to fill the old nozzle holes--just left them in place. They aren't any more useless like this than they were before.

Duncan
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Why would you splice and risk leaks when new rubber--and use rubber, not plastic--is so cheap? Rubber can grab the nozzle spigots and be less apt to slip off than plastic. This is a no brainer. And while you are at it, XO the factory nozzles which are terrible. There are plenty of improvements out there. Personally I like wet arms. https://www.amazon.com/Wet-Kit-Wiper-Arm-Replacement/dp/B00G1FYAGS Not as sexy as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07AZHkkLR0k

I have two nozzles fixed on each arm and the rubber tube runs down the arm and through a grommet at the base of the pivot. Highly recommend this adaptation. Didn't bother to fill the old nozzle holes--just left them in place. They aren't any more useless like this than they were before.

Duncan

I like that idea. Could you show a picture of how you ran the hoses into the van, if you get a chance. I have an idea but would like to see what you did. Thanks Duncan
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer Reply with quote

I have no problem with the plastic tubes. Being translucent is an advantage in diagnosis. It helps if you warm up the plastic before you remove and install it onto the barbs. Sometimes you need to trim it to get to an unstretched section.

My Golf broke the tube to the tailgate. The plastic didn't hold up to the flexing. I used BMW vacuum hose to splice the tubing around the hinge, 11 73 1 259 035. This is a silicon rubber hose. It is very supple and might last longer than our supply of petroleum. If you want to be stylish you can use 11 73 1 259 996. It is the same material but in blue rather than black. It is also available in red and white.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer Reply with quote

Greg-Car is currently "resting" comfortably in the ICU, but when it comes home I'll send some pics.

Duncan
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield washer Reply with quote

hardway wrote:
I have no problem with the plastic tubes. (...) The plastic didn't hold up to the flexing. (...) This is a silicon rubber hose. It is very supple and might last longer than our supply of petroleum.

So... rubber is better than plastic then?

Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: