Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karmann Ghia California Black Plate Where Issued
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Karmann Ghia California Black Plate Where Issued Reply with quote

My 1968 Karmann Ghia black California plate starts with VKN. Where was this plate issued?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia California Black Plate Where Issued Reply with quote

Jere wrote:
My 1968 Karmann Ghia black California plate starts with VKN. Where was this plate issued?

https://vincheck.info/license-plate-search-state.php
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia California Black Plate Where Issued Reply with quote

Nope. No results.
I’ve looked at a Samba post listing California cities where plates were issued. But did not go far enough to V.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia California Black Plate Where Issued Reply with quote

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but the original CA blk/yel plates on my '67 Ghia, that also begin with the letter 'V', were most likely issued in Marin County, being that the car's first owner lived in Sausalito. There are only 2 DMV offices in the county...one in Corte Madera and one in Novato.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Jere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia California Black Plate Where Issued Reply with quote

Actually it does help. I've always believed that it came from somewhere in the greater Bay Area. This begins to narrow it down. I drive through Marin County all the time. Been to both Corte Madera and Novato as well as Sausalito.
Still would like to know specifically where and what dealer.
Felipe de España
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia California Black Plate Where Issued Reply with quote

Sir John(typed with complete honor towards you)Moxon, cool website but, found nothing on my California 64 Ghia black/gold plate starting with G** ***. Much like yourself Jere Crying or Very sad Being the second owner, knowing that the car was imported (into L.A.) by an American Airlines employee who flew international routes to Europe answered every question I had about my baby. Most don't have the benefit I have of being the second owner and knowing the first owner personally.
Jere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia California Black Plate Where Issued Reply with quote

Wow, that is so cool! I just wish that the DMV would be helpful, after all they must have records because of the VIN and plate number. I would just like to know who the VW dealer was that sold it.
Felipe de España
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia California Black Plate Where Issued Reply with quote

Jere,
Furthermore, mine still has the old,(albeit crusty) license plate frame from
Aero Volkswagen Inglewood (found under Tech.Tab-Dealer Listings).
Just not sure if that's the location mine was imported to.
The original owner has since passed. I bought it back in 1983
for $1,500. Worth at least Rolling Eyes double or, triple that when I see some of the examples for sale here.
Jere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia California Black Plate Where Issued Reply with quote

rcooled
Who would have been VW dealers in Marin County in July 1967? My 1968 Ghia was stamped 7/67 on the transmission tunnel.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia California Black Plate Where Issued Reply with quote

Jere wrote:
rcooled
Who would have been VW dealers in Marin County in July 1967? My 1968 Ghia was stamped 7/67 on the transmission tunnel.

Here you are: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/usa_dealers_ca1.php from the Samba Archives. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia California Black Plate Where Issued Reply with quote

Jere wrote:

If a car is bought from a dealer, the plates are issued from Sacramento and mailed to you. If you went into a field office, you got plates issued from that office. When California switched over from the YOM yellow with black characters to the black with yellow characters in 1963, the DMV mailed the plates out to every registered vehicle and you were supposed to swap them out. I registered my 57 bug in 1984 at the Glendale DMV office and got to choose between blue and yellow plates or the new at the time reflective white with blue letters. I chose one of the last pair of blue and yellow. I had a 65 Dodge Dart and the black and yellow plate was "ROP 422". The first plate issued in 1963 was probably "AAA 000" and took 8 or so years to get to "VKN" in 1968. There were substantially fewer cars (and people) in California back then!

1963 – earliest license plate that is still valid (the plates had a black background and chrome yellow characters).
1970 – standard plate changed to a blue background with yellow characters. Last year any black/yellow plates were issued.
1976 – year-round registration started, which requires a month expiration sticker affixed to the upper left hand corner of the plate.
1982 – standard plate changed to a white background with blue characters with a sun graphic and “California” in red block letters. Last year any blue/yellow plates were issued.
1987 – reflectorized plates with “California” in red block letters were issued. Sun graphic discontinued.
1991 – only reflectorized standard plates were issued.
1993 – the word “California” changed to red script.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia California Black Plate Where Issued Reply with quote

Jere wrote:
rcooled

July 1967 VIN stamped on the tunnel, a late 1967 model. Aug would be start of 1968 model. 67's and 68's are simple to recognize, lots of differences.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia California Black Plate Where Issued Reply with quote

VeloMikey wrote:
Jere wrote:

If a car is bought from a dealer, the plates are issued from Sacramento and mailed to you. If you went into a field office, you got plates issued from that office. When California switched over from the YOM yellow with black characters to the black with yellow characters in 1963, the DMV mailed the plates out to every registered vehicle and you were supposed to swap them out. I registered my 57 bug in 1984 at the Glendale DMV office and got to choose between blue and yellow plates or the new at the time reflective white with blue letters. I chose one of the last pair of blue and yellow. I had a 65 Dodge Dart and the black and yellow plate was "ROP 422". The first plate issued in 1963 was probably "AAA 000" and took 8 or so years to get to "VKN" in 1968. There were substantially fewer cars (and people) in California back then!

1963 – earliest license plate that is still valid (the plates had a black background and chrome yellow characters).
1970 – standard plate changed to a blue background with yellow characters. Last year any black/yellow plates were issued.
1976 – year-round registration started, which requires a month expiration sticker affixed to the upper left hand corner of the plate.
1982 – standard plate changed to a white background with blue characters with a sun graphic and “California” in red block letters. Last year any blue/yellow plates were issued.
1987 – reflectorized plates with “California” in red block letters were issued. Sun graphic discontinued.
1991 – only reflectorized standard plates were issued.
1993 – the word “California” changed to red script.

In 1977, I had a 68 Dodge Charger w/ 383 V8, Blk/Yellow Lic plate number was WVZ 626. Bought the car from my dad who purchased it new in Los Angeles, CA in 1968. Here is the DMV black plate list/DMV location list
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Jere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia California Black Plate Where Issued Reply with quote

Thank you John for the Dealer link! It was really helpful. Now I have a list of potential dealers around he greater Sacramento-San Francisco bay area.

VeloMikey - Thanks for the confirmation about Sacramento mailing out the plates.

C21darrel - Mine is definitely a 68, the first year of the one piece high back seat. And also the differences with the convertible top. And the VIN matches 1968 too. I meant to say, white paint on the side of the tunnel - 7/67.
Jere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia California Black Plate Where Issued Reply with quote

c21darrel - Thanks for the DMV list. I've seen this multiple times now. But for me it doesn't help because it ends with NTA-RDA, no VKN. Surely somewhere out there is information for VKN.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia California Black Plate Where Issued Reply with quote

VeloMikey wrote:

If a car is bought from a dealer, the plates are issued from Sacramento and mailed to you. If you went into a field office, you got plates issued from that office. When California switched over from the YOM yellow with black characters to the black with yellow characters in 1963, the DMV mailed the plates out to every registered vehicle and you were supposed to swap them out.

Not to derail the OG question why were the Yellow and Black plates on my '58 marked '56?

I wondering if Betty will remember where she ordered the car. She lived in Berkeley but commuted across the Bay Bridge to work. She just tells of the adventure of picking up the car from Osnabruck for her new car vacation.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia California Black Plate Where Issued Reply with quote

Jere wrote:
c21darrel - Thanks for the DMV list. I've seen this multiple times now. But for me it doesn't help because it ends with NTA-RDA, no VKN. Surely somewhere out there is information for VKN.

That’s cause those were all mailed out of Sac.
I’ve had many black plate cars but only one corresponded to the list, it was a 58 bus sold in Escondido and the black plate was issued at the Escondido DMV in 63 so the owner must have went in to get them. Otherwise I guess they mailed them out like previously mentioned.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Jere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia California Black Plate Where Issued Reply with quote

Quote:

So someone could have bought it anywhere in California since plates were mailed out of Sac. That brings me back to the DMV and registration. Their data base surely shows where a VIN was registered. From there I could narrow it down to known dealers at that time (Dealer list from John M.
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia California Black Plate Where Issued Reply with quote

Jere wrote:
Quote:

So someone could have bought it anywhere in California since plates were mailed out of Sac. That brings me back to the DMV and registration. Their data base surely shows where a VIN was registered. From there I could narrow it down to known dealers at that time (Dealer list from John M.

I think you are giving the DMV too much credit! Their goal is not to help you, know anything or keep track of anything.

John, the YOM yellow with black characters were used form 56-63 when they changed the format to 6x12". Here is a good link that explains how that era worked http://www.oldplateguy.com/YOM-Information-for-1956-to-1962-California-Vehicles.html

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia California Black Plate Where Issued Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Not to derail the OG question why were the Yellow and Black plates on my '58 marked '56?

That style of plate was first issued in 1956 and every plate had that year permanently stamped into it. A metal tab with the current year was fastened over the '56' each time the registration was renewed.

That stamp continued with the Blk/Yel plates that followed...they all had '63' stamped in the right-side sticker well. No stamp on the Blu/Yel plates that began in 1970, or on any year after that.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: