Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

big shot shifter
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailboat100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: big shot shifter Reply with quote

I,m thinking about getting a big shot shifter and would like to hear from people who have them for their opinion.
Thanks Brian
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: big shot shifter Reply with quote

Have you read through this thread yet?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

might be helpful!
sailboat100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: big shot shifter Reply with quote

thanks Erste
I had not seen that thread. it sounds like a great upgrade. The new shift linkage to the tranny will b interesting also.
Brian
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: big shot shifter Reply with quote

I purchased a big shot shifter and am impressed by the build quality but still haven't installed.

Make sure to purchase all of the shift bushings and wear items that need to be replaced at the same time as the shifter as no bushings come with the kit.

There is an install video on youtube as well that is really good too.
Goodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: big shot shifter Reply with quote

I, like the vast majority of Vanagon owners spend infinite hours making improvements or simply maintaining our cherished rides.
Although I had replaced all wearable parts and made adjustments, I was never 100% satisfied with the way the factory shifter felt on my '87 Westy. I decided to take the plunge and "invest" in a Big Shot shifter.
Less than an hour of my time was spent from start to finish installing the shifter. Installation is almost self explanatory but between the instructions on the RS Fab site and a You Tube video, it couldn't have been any easier. This is an extremely well designed and well built item. You get what you pay for.
I immediately felt a huge improvement in the shifting characteristics. A much shorter throw as well as a very precise and "sure" feel was obvious. (It looks pretty sweet as well!)
Thank you RS Fab for providing a super high quality part to enhance the drivability of these great vehicles.
Please note that it is absolutely imperative that your entire shifting "system" is in excellent condition and properly adjusted. The Big Shot shifter will not "cure" problems due to worn or misadjusted parts.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: big shot shifter Reply with quote

I know I am greatly in the minority when I say that I installed a big shot shifter and then eventually removed it because I just didn’t like the feel of it. I found it difficult to shift into reverse because of the height of the shifter. I also have a bad shoulder so this is more my problem than it is the big shots problem. With this said, the shifter is a fine piece of engineering. It is well thought out and beautifully made. It looks like it would well outlast any vanagon in terms of longevity. I know that most people who install the big shot never look back and feel like it is a huge improvement over stock. I just didn’t like the feel. I literally felt like I was shifting with a baseball bat. After I removed the big shot and put the stock shifter back in place, I tweaked the adjustment back at the spline joint, liberally coated the components inside the shift box with grease and the shifting is buttery smooth. I like the throw that the stock shifter has. If you are interested in buying the big shot, I have one that was used for about an hour and I will give you a great deal on it. Just send me a pm.

Update: I believe the shifter has sold.
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: big shot shifter Reply with quote

Ray is the man and his work is first class. I love my Big Shot!

www.uniwerksdesign.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: big shot shifter Reply with quote

I have the one they make for an automatic and I really like it. Very nice workmanship
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: big shot shifter Reply with quote

The Big Shot is absolutely essential when speed-shifting "slick-shift" road racing gears.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1782915.jpg
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skurtulus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: big shot shifter Reply with quote

Is this ok to install to 82 Vanagons too?
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: big shot shifter Reply with quote

skurtulus wrote:

Yes, no problem on my '82 with stock shifter and early linkage back to the transmission.
Rustybke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: big shot shifter Reply with quote

erste wrote:
skurtulus wrote:

Yes, no problem on my '82 with stock shifter and early linkage back to the transmission.

Hello, and hopefully thank you in advance.... will this work on a 1981 AC, 4spd Vanagon? 👊🏻🙏🏻
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: big shot shifter Reply with quote

I just installed the Big Shot and it went pretty well. I will next install new tabs in the black box.

I am having trouble finding 1st gear tho, which was an issue with the old shifter too. If I go into reverse first, then out and do an extremely tight slide immediately to the right into first, I can find it. If I go to 'neutral' between gears, I have a hard time finding 1st.

Is this worn tabs? Or is it that the adjustment for throw (the threaded piece attached to shifter; see Bentley image) needs to be shortened or lengthened? I measured prior to removing the old shifter, as per instructions, but not 100% sure I got the measurement exactly perfect.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: big shot shifter Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
...If I go to 'neutral' between gears, I have a hard time finding 1st.

Is this worn tabs? Or is it that the adjustment for throw (the threaded piece attached to shifter...

You should probably inspect the connection by the transaxle - that ball & cup arrangement.

The ball can wear or even break off completely resulting in ever-increasing vagueness in the shift, esp R and 1-2.

tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: big shot shifter Reply with quote

OK thanks, very helpful. So can i tell by visual, or is there a lot of play in the joint? How do I tell if its worn excessively and needs replacement?
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: big shot shifter Reply with quote

SAH rebuilt the rear linkage, and I installed the Big Shot. My shifting is sticky, esp. going into 2nd and especially compared to their vans I’ve seen. What should I be checking?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: big shot shifter Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
OK thanks, very helpful. So can i tell by visual...

Mine was pretty obvious when I watched it move:

Link
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: big shot shifter Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. Mine was shot. The nut was very, very rusty but with some PB Blaster and a torch it came off ok and I didn't have to pull the transmission. Now it looks like the clutch Master/Slave need replacing. Those things, along with the Big Shot, should make it actually fun to drive! $yncro.
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: big shot shifter Reply with quote

Just finished my Bigshot and as everyone so far has stated, pretty straightforward job with immediate improvements to shifting.

One thing I’d like to point out if anyone reads this thread in preparation of their own install.

The middle cross joint is on a spline at the front half of the shift shaft (rod). Carefully mark its orientation to the rear half of the shaft.
The front half of the cross should be vertical and the rear cross horizontal after you’re done.

Mine was literally two splines out of vertical and I was unable to get reverse. So if you can’t find reverse after install, check this.

Second PSA tip: the front linkage threads onto the new shift stick, 3 3/4” (ish) measured from the bottom of the shifter base (the fancy aluminum base) to the center of the pivot bolt.
Too long and the bottom of the shoulder will hit the reverse gate in the shifter cover box, too short and the bottom will hang up.

Hope this helps someone diagnose a No Reverse gear after install.

Peace

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: big shot shifter Reply with quote

9.5isCanadian wrote:
The middle cross joint is on a spline at the front half of the shift shaft (rod). Carefully mark its orientation to the rear half of the shaft.
Been considering a gearshift upgrade. Does this mean the long rod to the back end remains in use? I’ve been wanting to get rid of it to expose the transmission filler plug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: