Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Berty- a 1984 Westfalia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Chilling with our puppy while I do some engine work:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Put coolant in but developed a leak. Forgot to put new o rings in on the reverse coolant pipe and it leaked like wild

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Finally got my harness back from RMW. Very nicely done. Got it all linked up with the VW harness. Just need to splice in my alternator loom. Still trying to figure that out. Pretty close now. Have that bit of wiring to do, toss some oil in the engine and we are set to plan to start it up. Getting close!

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Well, we have a runner Cool .

Unfortunately, I have no clutch action. Reservoir is full but the seal on the clutch master is spewing so I have no clutch. Already ordered a new master so we will see how she drives after that. Does need some tidying up still but she is real close. Was able to get her out of the garage so I can have access on the drivers side to do the clutch master.

First time she has seen the light of day since November. Wish I could’ve had her dialed in in early summer to do some trips but hopefully I can get one or two in before fall gets here. Going on vacation after this week so it’ll be a couple weeks before I can get that master installed. Enjoying the process! Since this is a lifer of a vehicle, I don’t mind taking time to do things right

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Well, new clutch master installed, pumped and bled, clutch works now. Engine seems to be good. Haven’t had the balls to get it up to temp yet to see if it’s plumbed properly. Have a 33ohm resistor on the temp gauge wire at the moment to test gauge readout from the Subaru harness. Also might need to reset or order a new throttle position sensor for the engine.

Before

After

Ran it around the block and holy moly is this thing way faster that I expected! The sound is really great as well!

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Congratulations. Applause

(And fill up that coolant pressure tank...)

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Hakka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Congrats! Glad you got the tps sorted. Funny how something as simple as not having a fully seated electrical connection can get you funky Smile

When is the first long shakedown?
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Enjoying the rig for as much as I can before winter rolls around.

Took her to a car show and won the best in show for the 80-90 class. So she’s of the show winning variety now. Pretty much priceless.

Just did new rotors and front wheel bearings. Ordered early 1981-1983.5 outer bearings that don’t fit my 1/84 van front spindles so need to wait on those.

Put the original steering wheel back on as well for the time being because the smaller wheel makes it harder to turn. Maybe I’ll go electric power steering conversion one day and will be able to put the smaller wheel back on.

Fear I won’t be taking her on a trip until next spring, but maybe we will go out a couple times close by in the winter. But plenty of time to upgrade suspension/get rack system setup. Will keep me busy here through the cold months. Worst of all is I think another bus is in my future so I’ll have two projects at once. Cool

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Ordered 1983.5 wheel bearings initially but got the right ones now. Have been meaning to install them but have been a little distracted with this:

Need to collect some more

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Well recently went on a quick little weekend trip but it dropped down to 15 degrees and it was severely painful. Even though I had the wife and the pup, we all froze and we said time to make life more bearable.

Was a rad time though!

Really I need to insulate the van. I want to go with a wool type insulation just need to get it ordered.

Invested in a double wide Kelty sleeping bag so that we can snuggle. This thing is so big you could fit three people in it.

The new plastic coolant tank leaked immediately and I havent been able to get it to stop so I had to bite the bullet on the aluminum unit.

Had to put in a diesel heater after the trip too. We had a little buddy heater but it ended up catching the dog on fire. Not to mention it creates a lot of moisture and ends up getting the windows soaked and it drips onto us.

3m Sticky taped the control panel onto the bench seat

5.5L tank in the lower cabinet

Used the stock heating box and routed the heater through that. I can probably make a version of it that takes up less space but I really didnt want to put a big hole in the bench for the vent it came with. I couldve made a panel that uses the supplied vent and fits in the stock bench hole but this is just my first try on this.

In order to run the heater I put a Renogy 100w panel in on the stock luggage rack.

I used some square tube aluminum to allow the panel to sit flush with the roof rack edge.

I ran the cable wires through the roof under the rack and then routed down the B pillar so that you cannot tell there is any wires from the inside of the van.

Charge controller mounted under the sink.

Ive got some thule artificial gutters as well as some thule towers and 58" thule square bars ready to rock. Just need to install them but ran out of time this weekend. Cant wait to have a roof rack on this thing so I can haul kayaks and canoes and put my Thule roofbox up on top. Cool

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

webberjames95 wrote:
ended up catching the dog on fire

Shocked

Laughing don't know why that made me laugh. i could see my dog setting her tail on fire and doing the ass drag to put it out

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

webberjames95 wrote:
Even though I had the wife and the pup, we all froze and we said time to make life more bearable.

Wife?! Thought she was a girlfriend? Unless I've missed something: Huge congratulations Very Happy
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Schnippzle wrote:
webberjames95 wrote:
Even though I had the wife and the pup, we all froze and we said time to make life more bearable.

Wife?! Thought she was a girlfriend? Unless I've missed something: Huge congratulations Very Happy

Cool

Got my Thule racks installed. Just square bars and towers on artificial gutters. was a pretty easy install for those guys. Also installed my scan gauge to monitor the Subaru engine. I have a chronic flashing coolant level light on the dash and I’m trying to bleed the system. Will see how it goes.

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Headed out with my buddy and his e350 this weekend. Was about 30 degrees at night but with diesel heaters we both were mid 70's temps in our vans. Best investment for cold weather camping!

Hiding from the rain and the dog decided he was gonna sleep ontop of the cooler. Dude isnt a little dog (75lbs) but he can curl up pretty small

At the pumps fueling up

Local spot. Snow high up in the hills. This is on the snake river where we live is actually above the hill there. We had to drop a thousand and a half feet from the top to get to the river. The river cut the land deep. Always a trip to come down. Going up the hill before the Subaru conversion was a second gear climb at 35 mph max. Can cruise up in 4th at 55 now.

Weather lightened up the second night and made me super excited for when spring and summer come around

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

awesome to all of this thread..

a point to note that you don't want to lug the engine.. not so much for the engine but for the loads on the 4th gear bearing. the transmission is happier with a higher spin in 3rd.
so if you are doing 55 in 4th on a large steep grade.. drop it into 3rd and let the rpms run. it's easier on both the motor and the transmission.

Quote:
Local spot. Snow high up in the hills. This is on the snake river where we live is actually above the hill there. We had to drop a thousand and a half feet from the top to get to the river. The river cut the land deep. Always a trip to come down. Going up the hill before the Subaru conversion was a second gear climb at 35 mph max. Can cruise up in 4th at 55 now.

the CDH is a game changer and now part of our minimum install package on any family/friend camper. being cold just sucks, and the compromises of the Mr Heater aren't the value they used to be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

no much to add but awesome pictures!
and really digging the stripes

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Enjoying your build/conversion posts and AFTER the conversion updates
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Been wanting to make the interior nicer from day one with this van. I know some of the later vanagons came with the metal parts of the van wrapped. I got a couple yards of this stuff just to test out the color and flexibility of it. Think I will end up getting more. Wrapping the interior will make it much more cozy and clean up the whole inside. There are still stickers, glue, scrapes, and screw holes all over the inside of this thing.

Passenger B pillar I did first.

Working around the windows. Been so long I forgot the back area even had grab handles!

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Headed out to the coast a couple weeks ago. Over 1000 miles and no issues.

Packed up and ready to head west

Our friends 88 westy at the campsite

Meal prep

Lost this board over the astoria bridge

In astoria for breakfast

Best rainbows of my life on the last 45 mins back to home

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

You could probably see the third order band if you look closely under those condition. Note the way the colors reverse ones on order to celebrate diversity
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Putting some paddle boards to the test now that summer is in full swing

Melon head:

Fields of gold

Been daily driving this thing a lot. Anyone ever have their heat basically run non stop? I think my vents are a bit out of sorts. Its like the shutoff vents are not sealing. Going to look into that as we are gonna head to Bend for Descend later this summer and would like to not suffer for hours endlessly.

Let the good times roll! Cool

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: