Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Funny yet serious question with long hair.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TechionDigit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

Driving in my 1974 Super Beetle down the highway, topping out at 60 with my 1200, meanwhile my long hair (about chest length) is blowing all around, my windows don't roll down (for now...) but it's starting to be bit of a concern down the highway and occasionally my passenger will angle their wing window and it'd blow my hair around. (At around 55~65 my vent windows swing around to the opposite direction.)

This is a dumb question... but I assume there's a fix with how many long haired hippies drove Beetles, is there a good fix to this? A sweet spot with the vent windows, maybe repairing my window regulators will fix this? Or do I just need a hair tie in my back pocket every time I drive?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Saucy Jack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

Haircut would fix this mechanical issue too...

78 SB CHAMPAGNE II
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

d'oh!

ol' mort Popcorn

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

A nice 60’s headband would be the ticket.

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

I sport a reverse Mohawk! Shocked
So I don't have this problem.

I suggest braiding your hair. Or using those little elastic hair bands that your cat loves to play with. Very Happy

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

To begin with, the vast majority of “hippies” in the ‘60s didn't own a car. They hitch-hiked. However in the ‘70s, most everyone had long hair to some degree. And these long-haired young people, who were not “hippies”, did own cars—Bugs, in particular, because they were cheap. This continuing myth that hippies owned Bugs continues to irk me, and is only a thing because some conservative folks continue to think that anyone who wore their hair long back in the day, was a “hippie”. Not true.

Now that I’ve set the historical record straight on this subject, I’ll get to a “fix” for your problem.

Short of restoring your roll-down windows, you can simply remove your door cards and tighten the wing bolts of your wing windows. Tighten just enough so that the wind—at any speed—does not alter your set position of the windows.

You can also put your hair in a Q (a ponytail), using a hair tie.

Or, you can do as I do. Wear a fucking hat. You can go the common route and wear a baseball hat, or you can get a little fancier, like me, and get yourself a Scottish bunnet (like the one I’m wearing below).

Ooooh! That was easy!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Richard O'Brien
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

Ponytail.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

First world problems...

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
TechionDigit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

Stupid questions get obvious answers! Thanks for the replies (and the idea for the 60s headband, as goofy as it may be in modern times, it'll be fun. Adds to the experience Laughing)

And thanks Tim, for letting me know how to fix my vent windows, perfect timing too since I was about to open and check out my windows today!
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

Man bun. Then head for Starbucks.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

Just wear your covid mask backwards and stuff your hair in the mask.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

Techion, after removal of the door card, you’ll see a hole in the door, just below the wing window. I can’t remember the size socket, so do some trial and error with your sockets and short extension.

Anyway, tighten this bolt while opening and closing the window. Once you get it to where the window is a little hard to turn, you’ll be all set.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

Um, maybe your question should be " How can I keep the vent window held in position?"
As a longhair ,it didn't take me much to figure out a ponytail or ball cap would do the trick.

In today's world, if you've got long hair people just usually assume you are stoner-hippy- Deadhead-liberal-Democrat ,or a biker or musician. But that is assumption.... as demonstrated by the looks of some on the January 6th gathering of "those who remain ever faithful".So let's not assume by hair folks, even some hippy lookers are quite conservative, apparently.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

Don't have long hair, our cars have vent shades installed, with the vent wing open slightly and the windows dropped about an inch. Get nice air flow all around me.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Don't have long hair

Gordon - at our age we're happy with any hair at all !!!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
minimeadow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

In all seriousness, when working on the car take precautions to keep your hair from getting stuck in the fan belt.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

What does Muir reccomend ?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

Tennis headband FTW

Or messy bun

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

The German Hair Force Laughing

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Funny yet serious question with long hair. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Tennis headband FTW

John McEnroe doesn't need a headband any longer

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: