Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement plug - in a carb rebuild kit?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgreensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Replacement plug - in a carb rebuild kit? Reply with quote

I have a Bocar carb. I've been trying to clean jets without removing the carb in order to solve the fact that the car will start, but will not idle. I was removing the plug(?) (A in the photo) that is next to the pilot jet, and dropped it and lost it. So my question is - can someone direct me to where I might get a replacement? Would this be something that comes in a carb kit?

Also, please do feel free to let me know about where I should have put this message - I'm still learning about protocol. I have read pages and pages of really informative stuff on carbs, and no idleing lately, but didn't think this fit in any of those threads.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement plug - in a carb rebuild kit? Reply with quote

That plug is not included in the typical rebuild kit.
You will need to find someone with a scrap carb with that same plug. I don’t believe that plug exists on all Pict carbs. What model is your Bocar carb?

You could try reaching out to those members that rebuild carbs for a living and see if they will sell you just the plug from one of their parts carbs.

TIP: When you start removing very small parts from the engine, you need to ask if it is easier to remove the component before attempting the disassembly. This applies to the entire engine. In some cases it will save time-effort to remove the engine and work on it outside of the car.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}

Last edited by ashman40 on Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement plug - in a carb rebuild kit? Reply with quote

The other side of the carb has an idle cutoff solonoid, if it doesn't work and open when you turn on the key it won't idle. You will need a dead carb for that part or get a bright flashlight and find the plug.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement plug - in a carb rebuild kit? Reply with quote

Volksbiz is in Yelm and he could probably hook you up.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement plug - in a carb rebuild kit? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:

VolkzBitz

https://www.volkzbitz.com
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
pgreensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement plug - in a carb rebuild kit? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
The other side of the carb has an idle cutoff solonoid, if it doesn't work and open when you turn on the key it won't idle. You will need a dead carb for that part or get a bright flashlight and find the plug.

Thanks. I disconnected the wire, then reconnected and I DO hear a click. I've read in the forums that the click means the cutoff solonoid is working.
pgreensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement plug - in a carb rebuild kit? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

VolkzBitz

https://www.volkzbitz.com

Thanks, Cusser and Starbucket. I'll try this route.
Ashman40 - Thanks for the tip. I can use all the help I can get. Much appreciated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: