Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tell what you think of this idea.
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Tell what you think of this idea. Reply with quote

OK
so I was out in my garage today looking for some thing and found a set of Honda GL1100 gold wing heads, I got to looking at them and thought the valve springs look like they would fit in a 36 hp head. I pulled out the intake valve from the GW head, they have dual springs that are about the same size as the VW spring then I looked at the valve ,its almost the same length as a VW valve, here are the specs on the GL parts...

Valve dia-Intake 38mm / ex 32mm
valve lenght- 4.05" [about .025" longer then VW]
stem dia- .259"
spring dia- outer 1.132"/ inner .805" [VW is 1.085"]
spring lenght-1.710"
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Do you think they could be fit to a VW head by sleeving the VW guide down and putting in new seats? Let me know what you think.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
grueni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds and look good if you rebuild or tune your heads. 38mm and 32mm is very close but possible maybe it is better to machine the intake valves to 37mm or 36mm depends on how good your portjob will be its very hard because the meat in the port isn't that big for a real high end port for 38mm. spring pressure would be interesting. and you have to open the valvespring seat like the blackline crew and i did.
weiht of the parts would be also interesting.

i like them
blacklineracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it would fit to me, we ran 38mm intakes and 32mm exhausts valves in our race engine and the worked well. What is the installed height of the valve springs?
grueni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coltom/justin....did you get the port into the 85-90% area ( about 34mm diameter in the port of your 38mm valve? i tested on heads and got go through the wall in the port. my heads have a 32mm port all the way bit its kind of save because it is also for street use and for 77 bore there a 38mm make no sense.

those goldwing valves could be a cool option. bmw/opel has also some valves with 6mm steam and about 103mm length that will be good for 36hp tuning.

cassey could you weigh all the parts, vales, springs, retainer. this will be great.

wishes
christian
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK
I dont have a installed height for them, just free length, wire diameter on the honda springs is- outer .150" Inner-.111"
I did weigh them but the only way I could do it was with the scale I use for reloading my target ammo in "grain" [7000gns per a pound] and convert them with a program I found on line, OK, here we go

Honda parts
Retainer-----215.0gns-13.93gms
inner spring-321.7gns-20.84gms
outer spring-669.0gns-43.35gms
38mm valve-964.3gns-62.48gms
keepers------24.3gns----1.57gm

total gram wt.-----------142.17 grams

VW parts [pulled from a stock head]
stamped retainer-133.5gns--8.63gms
single spring------513.0gns-33.24gms
intake valve------782.6gns-50.71gms
keepers-----------39.6gns----2.56gms

total gram wt.----------------95.16 grams

these are the numbers I came up with with the parts I have on hand, I dont know the variables between the honda parts but from whit I have seen they keep a pretty good tolerance. I know you can turn a gold wing 7500 RPM's no problems and I spun them 8500 a few times so I think they should work for a 36hp motor.

Casey
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell what you think of this idea. Reply with quote

Those Gold Wing valves are actually Alfa Romeo Rolling Eyes Cool But yes I have had my eye on those too.
I have already done A LOT of simulations on the subject. Two things to remember. Thist is going to be a street car with some track time, so driveability is paramount. In the simulations there is a very fine line between 36 & 37 mm intake valves. More than that and the port volume seems to get too large and you loose port energy and then power takes a dip.
Christian is correct. There is only so much meat to work with in an unwelded head. I will exploit it best possible.

Blackline guys. Good top see you around here. Some of your race stuff have been very inspiring.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tell what you think of this idea. Reply with quote

You can call them Alfa Romeo valves but I took them out of a stock Honda Goldwing head that had never been apart, the valve on the right came out of a 36hp head.

eQ
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: