Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Leaking from Behind the Crank Pulley
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PDX_VW_Erik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Oil Leaking from Behind the Crank Pulley Reply with quote

I searched and didn't find anything similar in the 1000's of results.

Engine is rebuilt about 10k miles ago, no movement on crank pulley push/pull. Stock crank pulley replaced an empi that was previously there. Case is vented to the air cleaner.

Some time ago, I took all the top off, replaced gaskets, cleaned things up, painted parts, and reassembled. Before this, it was the driest bug engine that I've ever seen, now, I get oil all over.

I changed my oil a bit ago and when I refilled, new oil freely poured out from behind the crank pulley.

Is there a seal that I missed in reassembly? I've never seen a seal on that side.

WTF is going on???

In responses, you're not allowed to say the words "bearing", "rebuild", or "new case" please and thank you.

mukluk wrote:
Rather fitting signature line. I think you're going to gain some experience here.

Optimism will not solve all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leaking from Behind the Crank Pulley Reply with quote

Was there a dust seal behind the pulley? Pulley snouts smooth or spiral fluted?
PDX_VW_Erik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leaking from Behind the Crank Pulley Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Was there a dust seal behind the pulley? Pulley snouts smooth or spiral fluted?

If there was a dust seal, there's not one now. I don't believe that I pulled one out.

Crank is smooth, the pulley has the oil slinger grove.

mukluk wrote:
Rather fitting signature line. I think you're going to gain some experience here.

Optimism will not solve all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leaking from Behind the Crank Pulley Reply with quote

Oil should not be pouring out of the freshly filled crankcase. Is it possible that you over filled it?
I've never had this happen on an over filled engine.

Do you happen to know the outside diameter if the crank pulley snout?
A stock one should measure around 49.84mm.
What is the replacement pulley snout diameter?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
PDX_VW_Erik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leaking from Behind the Crank Pulley Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Oil should not be pouring out of the freshly filled crankcase. Is it possible that you over filled it?

It poured through with the first quart.

67rustavenger wrote:
Do you happen to know the outside diameter if the crank pulley snout?
A stock one should measure around 49.84mm.
What is the replacement pulley snout diameter?

I can't pull the pulley off right now. I know that I had to tap it on, it didn't just slide on and off like the empi one did. And, no, I don't capitalize the "empi" word.

mukluk wrote:

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leaking from Behind the Crank Pulley Reply with quote

Oil can pour out behind the pulley if you pour it in it too fast.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: