Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vacuum can failure?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
poopdevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: vacuum can failure? Reply with quote

Hi all! My 57 is all original and I am having issues where fuel does not suck into the carburator.
I am currently rebuilding it because I thought it was possible the seals are bad.
I am not much of a mechanic but am learning as I go.
I have gone through everything and narrowed it down to the Carb needing to be rebuilt, the fuel pump itself or the vac canister

I did not even think about it but could it before but could it possibly be the vac canister failing so fuel does not go past the fuel filter into the carb?

I saw that these cans cannot be opened without destroying them so I will look for a NOS one if possible to keep the integrity of the engine.

Just looking for any advice anyone can give.

Thanks!
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: vacuum can failure? Reply with quote

Vacuum advance has nothing to do with fuel delivery.

If you live in an area where ethanol-free gas is not available, check both braided rubber lines on the suction side (before the fuel pump) for moist spots.

The ethanol rots the braided lines prematurely, allowing air to seep into the line. When that happens you break the siphon flow from the tank and end up pumping too much air and not enough gas, causing fuel starvation. The cotton braid sucks up the leaking gas like a sponge and it evaporates before it can drip onto the ground. There should also be a stronger-than-usual smell of gas in the garage.
poopdevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: vacuum can failure? Reply with quote

Hmmm. Well all of my lines are solid metal
Lines. No hoses and nothing braided. Well, I’ll rebuild
The carb and see what happens at this point.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: vacuum can failure? Reply with quote

Original 36 hp Beetle distributors have a threaded steel line between the distributor and the carburetor. There is a soft line between the pan and the front engine tin but this shouldn't effect the issues you are having as above. NOS canisters are hard to find but not impossible. You can check the integrity of the canister by disconnecting the vacuum line at the carburetor and inserting a vacuum pimp on the line. If the gauge on the pump shows that it holds vacuum then it's good. If it leaks back to 0...

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: vacuum can failure? Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
Vacuum advance has nothing to do with fuel delivery.

this. the can can be checked by sucking on the pipe and seeing if the distributor plate moves. prime suspect is surely the fuel pump... Confused

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
poopdevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: vacuum can failure? Reply with quote

I was suspecting the pump too but I had some gas leaking from a seal
in the carburetor so decided to overhaul it. I see they sell a rebuild kit for the fuel pump as well. I’ll get that too in case I need it if it still has issues once the carburetor is back on!
Thanks guys!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: vacuum can failure? Reply with quote

IF the vacuum canister is bad, here's a NOS one:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2333581

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: vacuum can failure? Reply with quote

That translates to a bit over $71 usd a fair price.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
poopdevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: vacuum can failure? Reply with quote

Thanks! One quick question. Soaked carb in chem dip. After rinsing there is a grey powdery film. Will this effect performance? Wiping
It with a towel and it keeps wiping off.
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: vacuum can failure? Reply with quote

If the fuel pump has never been rebuilt it is probably the 60+ year old diaphragm that has split and no longer functions. Wolfsburg West sells a rebuild kit. While you have the fuel pump out I recommend checking the small pin that is pressed into the fuel pump body that the lever inside the fuel pump pivots on. I've had that little guy come lose and walk it's way out of the fuel pump body, causing the pump to stop working and the engine dies.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: vacuum can failure? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
IF the vacuum canister is bad, here's a NOS one:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2333581

Here's a NOS one too:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2269287
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: