Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Safe harbor people needed , late AUG/ SEP NEBRASKA, WYOMING, ID
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:51 am    Post subject: Safe harbor people needed , late AUG/ SEP NEBRASKA, WYOMING, ID Reply with quote

I have a young lady making a cross country trip to a job on I80 route in late August

Pm me if you are near the route and are willing to be a “ safe harbor” in case of car trouble. I could send her with my T4, Beetle, or Volvo , not sure yet

Final destination baker City, OR
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe harbor people needed , late AUG/ SEP NEBRASKA, WYOMING, ID Reply with quote

I am way too far north in Idaho, but if for some reason I can be of assistance, I will do what I can. I do have some contacts in Southern and Southeast Idaho that could possibly be of help to a weary traveler.
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe harbor people needed , late AUG/ SEP NEBRASKA, WYOMING, ID Reply with quote

I have Sisters on the Fly members all across the country - we can assist if needed.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe harbor people needed , late AUG/ SEP NEBRASKA, WYOMING, ID Reply with quote

Thanks to both.

Margaret , let me know if I support SOF as a safe harbor. t, I’m an honorary member having been blessed with 6 daughters, two female dogs, three female cats, and fish.

I’m an empty nester now shuffling between nyc and Albany, NY for home base
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe harbor people needed , late AUG/ SEP NEBRASKA, WYOMING, ID Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Thanks to both.

Margaret , let me know if I support SOF as a safe harbor. t, I’m an honorary member having been blessed with 6 daughters, two female dogs, three female cats, and fish.

Very Happy You can be an honorary Mister Sister. They're incredibly supportive of women, so your daughter is in good hands if need be. They rally on a good cause in an instant. Is she heading up I-84 from Utah to Baker City?

ITMC - OG Den Mother

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Safe harbor people needed , late AUG/ SEP NEBRASKA, WYOMING, ID Reply with quote

I'm not near the road trip but following and available if needed here on the east coast. I love your group Margaret and now joining "Sisters on the Fly".

BTW I love Mister Sister name and he has been super helpful with some tech support during covid.
Linda

Emily's Owner wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Thanks to both.

Very Happy You can be an honorary Mister Sister. They're incredibly supportive of women, so your daughter is in good hands if need be. They rally on a good cause in an instant. Is she heading up I-84 from Utah to Baker City?

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Safe harbor people needed , late AUG/ SEP NEBRASKA, WYOMING, ID Reply with quote

I met a vagabond once in Des Moines Iowa while visiting friends there. He said he had a van down by the river, I am sure he'd be happy to help out.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe harbor people needed , late AUG/ SEP NEBRASKA, WYOMING, ID Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I'm not near the road trip but following and available if needed here on the east coast. I love your group Margaret and now joining "Sisters on the Fly".

BTW I love Mister Sister name and he has been super helpful with some tech support during covid.
Linda

Emily's Owner wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Thanks to both.

Yay! I'm Sister #23, so have been a member since 2002 - it's a pretty fun group. You will find your group of gals that you fit in with, and they'll end up lifelong friends. I don't get to participate as much as I'd like (in either VW camping or Sister camping in my little trailer), but hopefully in the future that will change. My kids were young when I joined and we went though a rather big sideways bump unfortunately - so our priorities were rearranged rather dramatically, but that's life for you. I live vicariously through this group and SOTF, but I love that we're always there if someone needs us.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Safe harbor people needed , late AUG/ SEP NEBRASKA, WYOMING, ID Reply with quote

Thank you , folks

She’s still waiting on one last job offer but OR is still her number one at present.

Timeframe is late August. I just blew the transmission on one of the Volvos so I might have to scramble another car for her. Glad it happened at home and not on the road ( I’m a glass half full with free refills type guy Very Happy )
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe harbor people needed , late AUG/ SEP NEBRASKA, WYOMING, ID Reply with quote

she has to drive? Fly her instead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe harbor people needed , late AUG/ SEP NEBRASKA, WYOMING, ID Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
she has to drive? Fly her instead.

I'm assuming she's keeping the car to drive around once she gets out there. Also explains why the choices are limited to...er... what's available.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Safe harbor people needed , late AUG/ SEP NEBRASKA, WYOMING, ID Reply with quote

Hey, Ab-skater----
I'm in far eastern Ioway just a dozen miles off I-80.
I'm too old to be much of a threat to anyone-------at least that's what my wife tells me.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Safe harbor people needed , late AUG/ SEP NEBRASKA, WYOMING, ID Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Hey, Ab-skater----
I'm too old to be much of a threat to anyone-------at least that's what my wife tells me.

Gotcha, thanks. It’s the week of making the big decision , so should know if trip is on by Friday
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe harbor people needed , late AUG/ SEP NEBRASKA, WYOMING, ID Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Hey, Ab-skater----

Very Happy

ITMC - OG Den Mother

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe harbor people needed , late AUG/ SEP NEBRASKA, WYOMING, ID Reply with quote

Emily's Owner wrote:
iowegian wrote:
Hey, Ab-skater----

Very Happy

My wife's middle name is "Margaret", so you know she has to be tellin' the truth. Wink
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe harbor people needed , late AUG/ SEP NEBRASKA, WYOMING, ID Reply with quote

80 is so very B O R I N G!

When she gets to Winnemucca veer north onto 140, the Winnemucca to the Sea road.

I haven't been on it for 30 or more years but it is a great although lonely ride.

Quite memorable but I imagine like everything else out there I'm sure it has changed. Probably more people, more services, more traffic?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe harbor people needed , late AUG/ SEP NEBRASKA, WYOMING, ID Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

When she gets to Winnemucca veer north onto 140, the Winnemucca to the Sea road.

I haven't been on it for 30 or more years but it is a great although lonely ride.

Quite memorable but I imagine like everything else out there I'm sure it has changed. Probably more people, more services, more traffic?

Dave

That hwy takes her a bit too far west to make good time.

The more and even more boring direct route. Would be heading NW out of Salt Lake. I think it's hwy 82. Then west on 84 directly to Baker City.

Curious what is the attraction to Baker City.
It's a cross between an old Cowboy town and a miners paradise.
Beautiful in the spring, Hot as ever in the summer and cold, really cold in the winter.
I haven't been through there in a few years. Maybe they have Data centers there now that attract folks to an otherwise isolated area.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe harbor people needed , late AUG/ SEP NEBRASKA, WYOMING, ID Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

The more and even more boring direct route. Would be heading NW out of Salt Lake. I think it's hwy 82. Then west on 84 directly to Baker City.

Curious what is the attraction to Baker City.
It's a cross between an old Cowboy town and a miners paradise.
Beautiful in the spring, Hot as ever in the summer and cold, really cold in the winter.
I haven't been through there in a few years. Maybe they have Data centers there now that attract folks to an otherwise isolated area.

I like Baker City, it's got a great brewery, bakery and distillery. Anthony Lakes ski area has great powder in the winter. If she like camping, there's beautiful areas all over the place. Pendleton Round-Up is just up I-84 in September to get her cowgirl on (not to mention Chief Joseph Days and Eastern Oregon Livestock Show and Rodeo...). There's a cool interpretive center, First Friday art walk...

(edit: I used to live in Pendleton, and spent a lot of time in Baker City and other towns all over the area with sports teams and high school groups).

ITMC - OG Den Mother

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe harbor people needed , late AUG/ SEP NEBRASKA, WYOMING, ID Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

Hmmmmm ........ I'm thinking and trying to remember the last time I chose a given highway so I can make good time............
maybe when my Mom had a Stroke? But gee, that's 25 years ago now.

Other than that, Nope...... making time isn't on my travel planning list.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe harbor people needed , late AUG/ SEP NEBRASKA, WYOMING, ID Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

Hmmmmm ........ I'm thinking and trying to remember the last time I chose a given highway so I can make good time............
maybe when my Mom had a Stroke? But gee, that's 25 years ago now.

Other than that, Nope...... making time isn't on my travel planning list.

Dave

I agree.
But when your driving to a new location for a job. Unless you plan on making it a site seeing trip.
You choose the shortest, quickest route.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: