Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 HO engine
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: 1966 HO engine Reply with quote

Quick question about 1966 bus engines. Is it safe to assume that HO code engines would have been installed exclusively in busses from Aug 65- Aug 66, up to engine sn "HO 183 372" or so? And that those numbers would run more or less linear to body numbers?
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 HO engine Reply with quote

I would imagine you are correct. And if the official VW Birth Certificate didn't match the number of your HO case, you can always do like the 356 guys do and claim "non matching but period correct".......... my particular 66 (September 65 build date) had a VW recycled symbol AND an X at the end of the numbers FO case so I guess that would be "period correct" for a type 1 and who knows if it was dealer installed or not.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 HO engine Reply with quote

Yes, although it looks like there is a possible discrepancy in July so there could be some leeway there.

Notice how the engine # count for July is very low

Last engines around that month/year:
June, 1966 - H0 183 233
July, 1966 - H0 183 372
August, 1966 - H0 272 902
September, 1966 - H0 194 066*
* One series of numbers previously passed over

I have that note there but I'm not sure what the exact deal was for July...
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 HO engine Reply with quote

Yeah that's what I figured. I added up the chassis numbers and then the engine numbers for March 66 (my bus's production month.) and they're only off by 18, so thats probably the way it went down. My original engine is long gone, rebuilt twice and when the P/O went to rebuild for a third time there was not enough material to cut the case again. 210,000 miles or so he claimed.
I just found a March 66 HO engine, that if you follow the linear 1966 bus theory, would only be about 1,760 off of my bus's original engine number. So with 17,451 busses built in March, averaging about 563 a day it would have been produced within a few days of my bus. I was curious because the engine I found has a bug air cleaner on it.

I wonder if the July count got messed up because they started holding engines back at Wolfsburg to install in the 67 bugs?
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 HO engine Reply with quote

Here it is, looks like it most recently lived in a bug, based on the air cleaner and the battery lead running through the front tin.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It seems to have the right 66 bus distributor, I think. I also have a 111 905 205 M that came with my bus, but I think the one on this engine is correct.

And also the correct for 66 fuel pump.

I'm not sure about the governor, but it has one.

Wrong carburetor. Should be a 30pict1.

And wrong generator (sorry couldn't get a good pic of the numbers).
It's a 111 903 021 which is for a 40hp I believe? I'll look through the parts the P/O included with my bus. I know there were some starters and generators in there. If anybody sees anything else that doesn't look correct for a March 66 bus let me know.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 HO engine Reply with quote

The governors have a month and year of manufacture on them. It's on the side facing the fan shroud (of course). March 1966 would be 036.

To the left of the VW and Bosch logo's on the distributor number stamping you can sometimes find a date stamp. Bosch 603= March 1966.

The coil, generator and voltage regulator also have Bosch date codes.

Lastly the air filter will usually have a date code.

To the best of my knowledge the fuel pump and carburetor do not have a date code, not sure on the oil pressure switch.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 HO engine Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the Bosch and governor date codes tasb. The stamp on the back of the governor is 026 so Feb 1966 and probably original to the engine, or close enough for me. Found the stamp on the distributor under the clip, 511 so Nov 1965. The coil is 507, July 1965. I don't know how far ahead VW was receiving the components from Bosch so these may or may not be original. I'll look at the generator/regulator once I get it pulled and cleaned up, but like I said I'm pretty sure they belong to a 40hp.
I think the date stamp on the fuel pump is on the back of the base. One side of the casting line reads VW3 which I think refers to the engine family the pump is for and the other side reads 1265, or Dec 1965.
The oil bath belongs to a 66/67 1300 bug but I'll look for a date stamp before I post it in the classifieds.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 HO engine Reply with quote

Heat riser tins, pulley nut tin, both carb pipes, fuel inlet pipe, throttle push tube and spring all look original too.
tasb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 HO engine Reply with quote

Prevailing opinion is that 1-2 months ahead of vehicle production date is acceptable.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 HO engine Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Heat riser tins, pulley nut tin, both carb pipes, fuel inlet pipe, throttle push tube and spring all look original too.

Unfortunately that pile of rust in front of the engine is made up of the pulley nut tin/rear tin.

I pulled the generator and cleaned it up and it's also July 65 like the coil. Checked the generator numbers and it's correct for a 66 F case bug. Couldn't find a date stamp on the oil bath but I think that style was only used on the US models for 66. So the most likely scenario is that this engine has a mix of 66 bug and 66 bus parts. I'm not going to worry too much about date codes (although I am having fun dating all my old bosch parts) and focus on getting the correct part numbers for this engine.

So far I have the correct fuel pump, distributor, governor, intake manifold, tin, and maybe coil. Is the 1966 bug/bus coil the same? I'll have to test this one anyway, might be junk.

I'll need to get, generator (bosch # 0101 302 061), 30 pict1 carb, bus exhaust/heater boxes. Is the bus version of the 30 pict1 stamped vw105 on the back of the bowl? Are there other versions that are the same? Seems like every carb I look at has a different VW number stamped on it.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 HO engine Reply with quote

Never mind, found the carb info.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/550893.jpg
tasb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 HO engine Reply with quote

Bosch coils typically have type III part numbers on them as it appears that's where they first appeared. They then show up on Types I and II. It's rare for a coil still mounted to be junk. Nine in ten are still functional.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 HO engine Reply with quote

FarmerBill wrote:
Unfortunately that pile of rust in front of the engine is made up of the...rear tin.

That tin is pre-'66. You need '66 one-year-only. The heatriser hole is on the right and uses a right heat tube bolted to the right exhaust stud.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 HO engine Reply with quote

I'm lucky the P/O used the original rear tin, heat riser, and air cleaner when he put the bay engine in. He even saved the non doghouse front tin and included it with the bus. Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: