Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Photos of rear backing plates
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MicBergsma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Photos of rear backing plates Reply with quote

Aloha everyone,

I am wondering do y'all have photos of rear backing plates to share (driver and passenger side) ?

I want to make sure I have correct one

Thank you!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Instagram > http://bit.ly/2gHjIOV
Facebook > http://bit.ly/2Q9atMs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Photos of rear backing plates Reply with quote

The “Ty III” leads me to think no.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Photos of rear backing plates Reply with quote

Those are indeed Type 3 backing plate(s).

I actually have late Type 3 rear brakes on my '73.
The drums are of a larger diameter than the stock Thing drums, and the shoes are wider than the stock Thing Type 1 shoes.

The Type 3 wheel cylinders are different as well; the difference is in the mounting "ear" where the wheel cylinder is bolted to the backing plate.
However, the wheel cylinder bore diameter is the same as that of the stock Thing rear wheel cylinders.

Hand brake cables and associated hardware is the same as that on a stock Thing.

If you choose to mount standard Thing backing plates instead of those, don't just throw those away; they are a somewhat "in demand" item.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos of rear backing plates Reply with quote

There are two types, depending on the year of your car. they changed in the middle of 73.

If your car serial number higher than 183 2346 525 then your part numbers are:

113 609 440 E for the Rigth
113 609 439 E for the Left

If your Serial number is lesser than the above, then you need the older style like I do on my 72. take a look at my video.

Link

MicBergsma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Photos of rear backing plates Reply with quote

I got two rear drums number is 181 501 615A… any idea what exactly backing plate to work with?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos of rear backing plates Reply with quote

MicBergsma wrote:
I got two rear drums number is 181 501 615A… any idea what exactly backing plate to work with?

That Drum # corresponds to the newer version. I assume your serial number is later than the number I listed above. So you have CVJ's instead of GRB's

If that is the case, you should use the part numbers I listed above, not the once on my video.
MicBergsma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos of rear backing plates Reply with quote

sorry, I didn't put enough info in my post...

I don't have a Thing... I have a 67 bus that I am lowering 3.5" with 68 beetle's straight axles and upgrade rear brake with Thing brake system...

I got drums, shoes, and all the parts from The Thing Shop online... only thing I don't have backing plates so I am searching to get the correct ones... a guy have some plates and asked me to send photos to match what he has before ship to me
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos of rear backing plates Reply with quote

MicBergsma wrote:
sorry, I didn't put enough info in my post...

I don't have a Thing... I have a 67 bus that I am lowering 3.5" with 68 beetle's straight axles and upgrade rear brake with Thing brake system...

I got drums, shoes, and all the parts from The Thing Shop online... only thing I don't have backing plates so I am searching to get the correct ones... a guy have some plates and asked me to send photos to match what he has before ship to me

Ohhh Wow!!!! You are "Frankeinstaining" something... Did your Bus had GRB's (Gear Reduction Boxes) Are you changing your Gear Box? or are you rotating your Dif?..... anyways.... too many questions ... sorry.....

The Drums you got need the newer style Back Plate.... which are the once I listed abobe. Your springs are also different, take a look at my video. On your set up the springs go between the shoes, on my set up the springs go to the backing plate.... you also need the parts for the Emergancy Break.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos of rear backing plates Reply with quote

‘69 up Beetle backing plates will work with that combination.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Admiral Fishwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Photos of rear backing plates Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: