Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driver side door switch for dome light
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
octavioadrian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Driver side door switch for dome light Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
octavioadrian wrote:
http://www.mtmfg.com/part/view/Switch-in-Door-Jamb...-947-561+E

That's a 2 pole switch. It won't work if you want to retain the key buzzer.

It is a 4 pole. I purchased one and it worked fine.
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Driver side door switch for dome light Reply with quote

octavioadrian wrote:
Bruce wrote:
octavioadrian wrote:
http://www.mtmfg.com/part/view/Switch-in-Door-Jamb...-947-561+E

That's a 2 pole switch. It won't work if you want to retain the key buzzer.

It is a 4 pole. I purchased one and it worked fine.

They call it a four pole, but the picture clearly shows a two pole with 1-into-2 adapters on the connectors, meaning that those four connections are electrically connected as pairs. In short, they are misrepresenting their product, but I am glad you were able to make it work to your satisfaction.
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver side door switch for dome light Reply with quote

Just bumping to give an FYI

This may be of no interest to anyone else, but my driver's side switch is on the fritz again, so I started looking at what was available.

Found this, ordered it to test it out. Functions slightly different than the stock switch. This switch provides direct grounding through the switch body and mounting screw(similar to the passenger side switch) rather than ground wires like the stock set up.

I believe it should work. I'm not sure if my buzzer is functional, as it has never worked, but this item could be an option for those looking to preserve the buzzer functionality too.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/113947561H.html
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Driver side door switch for dome light Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
This may be of no interest to anyone else, but my driver's side switch is on the fritz again, so I started looking at what was available.

Found this, ordered it to test it out. Functions slightly different than the stock switch. This switch provides direct grounding through the switch body and mounting screw(similar to the passenger side switch) rather than ground wires like the stock set up.

I believe it should work. I'm not sure if my buzzer is functional, as it has never worked, but this item could be an option for those looking to preserve the buzzer functionality too.

When I resurrected my 1970 1.5 years ago, I noticed that my driver side switch only operated on one circuit, so I taped off the buzzer wires and chose the dome light. I didn't find the listed switch available then, but I'd be quite interested to see how this works out for you. Keep us posted.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver side door switch for dome light Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

UPDATE:

It fits and it works. Only steps needed for use of this switch:

Install the 'full size' push on terminals onto the wires for the light and buzzer
Shove the stock ground wires back into the door pillar (no longer needed as this new switch grounds through the mounting screw.)
Install switch.

Works great.
A+
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver side door switch for dome light Reply with quote

Great. I'll get one on my next parts order.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver side door switch for dome light Reply with quote

Did you also connect the key buzzer? Or just the dome light?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver side door switch for dome light Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Did you also connect the key buzzer? Or just the dome light?

My buzzer is non-functional, but I tried it out with my extra ground wire I had over there. Fits with two wires hooked up just fine.

If my buzzer was functional, I'd have hooked it up too.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver side door switch for dome light Reply with quote

If you can't find a working driver's side (double pole) switch, and insist on having a working "key buzzer", you could use a passenger side (single pole) switch to trigger a double pole relay, which would isolate the two loads.
Here's a sketch of a double pole, single throw relay:

The thing is, a DPST relay is hard to find, but a double pole double throw relay is common, and would do the job as well.

This "Dayton 1EJH2" relay is $12.10 from Grainger, $18.66 from Amazon.

https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-12VDC-1EJH2
https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-1EJH2-Relay-Power-12...BVRDH10VC8

Plan B
Use two standard Bosch relays.

Plan C
Make another hole and use two passenger door switches.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtpatrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver side door switch for dome light Reply with quote

I'm rewiring the door buzzer. Does it matter which wire is on which terminal? Does anyone have an image of theirs?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver side door switch for dome light Reply with quote

jtpatrick wrote:
I'm rewiring the door buzzer. Does it matter which wire is on which terminal? Does anyone have an image of theirs?

On the driver's side? Just as long as both ground wires are together, doesn't matter.

Here's some pics I took while working on my interior lights:

This is likely the one you need

The_Old_Guyyy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Driver side door switch for dome light Reply with quote

The dome light and the wiring were removed from my 71 super beetle before I got it. I received 2 new switches from jbugs that only have one pole on each. Will this suffice and can anyone tell me how to properly wire it all knowing it only has one on each side. I am aware that the ignition buzzer won't work, it is something I will just have to go without. Thanks in advance for the help!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Driver side door switch for dome light Reply with quote

The_Old_Guyyy wrote:
The dome light and the wiring were removed from my 71 super beetle before I got it. I received 2 new switches from jbugs that only have one pole on each. Will this suffice and can anyone tell me how to properly wire it all knowing it only has one on each side. I am aware that the ignition buzzer won't work, it is something I will just have to go without. Thanks in advance for the help!

The driver side switch with 2 pairs of terminals is no longer available new. So use the new one with 2 terminals and just do without the ignition buzzer switch; that's what I did on mine as only one circuit on my original switch still worked.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Driver side door switch for dome light Reply with quote

The_Old_Guyyy wrote:

If your buzzer is functional, you can use this switch from Jbugs. It has two poles to attach your light and buzzer to. The switch grounds through the mounting screw, so just identify the wires to the light and buzzer, then tuck the extra ground wires from the old switch back into the hole.

See below from me a couple years ago on this thread:

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

UPDATE:

It fits and it works. Only steps needed for use of this switch:

Install the 'full size' push on terminals onto the wires for the light and buzzer
Shove the stock ground wires back into the door pillar (no longer needed as this new switch grounds through the mounting screw.)
Install switch.

Works great.
A+

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Driver side door switch for dome light Reply with quote

The_Old_Guyyy wrote:

Using the single pole door switched means that you have a circuit that is grounded when either door is open. This is fine for turning the dome light ON when either door opens.
Run a single brown wire starting from the right side door switch over to the left side switch.
From the left side switch, run a single brown wire up to the dome light where is connects to the terminal controlled by the switch in the dome light.
At the left switch you will have two brown wires. You can either use a terminal piggy back connector (turns a single male terminal into two males) to connect both brown wires to your single switch terminal; or you can splice both wires into a single female terminal which plugs into the left door switch. Wired this way either door switch will ground the circuit. When the dome light is connected to this brown wire circuit it will turn ON when the circuit is grounded.

If you want to get your door buzzer working...
Look at the DPDT relay described by mondshine above (just checked and they still sell it for $17).

Instead of running the brown wire from the left door switch to the dome light, it runs to the "0" terminal of the relay. Using a red wire, wire the "1" relay terminal to a fused constant 12v source (the dome light fuse will work as this is a low current draw relay). Wired this way the relay will energize anytime either of the doors are opened.
The six remaining terminals on the relay are two separate circuits of 3-terminals each (inner-center-outer). From the diagram on the relay it looks like the center terminal is connected to the outer terminal when the relay is energized. We will use these two in each circuit. The inner most two terminals will not be used. The center terminal (the one between the inner and outer one) in each group of 3 is the common INPUT terminal for the three terminal circuit. For one set of 3 terminals, wire a brown ground wire to the center terminal. Ground it at any good ground point behind the dash. Wire the outer edge terminal to the dome light. When the relay is energized the relay will ground the dome light wire to turn the dome light ON.
Identify the SU circuit wire coming from the ignition switch. The SU wire is grounded anytime the key is in the ignition. It is usually a grey or grey/black wire coming out of the ignition switch. Test the ignition wires until you find it. Wire the SU wire to the center terminal of the other circuit. Wire the outer terminal to your door buzzer relay. The other wire of the door buzzer relay is powered by the same dome light fuse which has constant 12v. When the relay is energized (either door open) AND there is a key in the ignition the door buzzer will be grounded and BUZZ. When the key is removed the buzzer is disabled.
What I have described above is slightly different than the diagram mondshine posted above. In his diagram the door buzzer will buzz anytime the door is opened, even if the key has been removed. The way I have described the buzzer only sounds when the key is in the ignition AND either door is opened.

Be sure to tuck the relay such that none of the wires or terminals grounds to the chassis. Mount it up out of the way if you can. Otherwise consider wrapping all exposed connection in some insulation (heat shrink tubing).
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: