Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Hmmm...the Hemmings sales are just a one off set price which kind of lessens the fun of this thread. No escalating price or in fact the knowledge of what price the car eventually sells for, pretty much anyone's guess.

The Bring a Trailer auctions are the ones that actually test the current strength of the market.

If you would rather I not post these…
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
Hmmm...the Hemmings sales are just a one off set price which kind of lessens the fun of this thread. No escalating price or in fact the knowledge of what price the car eventually sells for, pretty much anyone's guess.

The Bring a Trailer auctions are the ones that actually test the current strength of the market.

It's a bit of an odd one really for a Mod. I don't want to appear to impose my preference but it used to be a no no to post any comments drawing attention to live Ebay/Craigslist sales under the broad assumption members of the forum could be in the process of buying. The only exceptions were discussions where adverts were seemingly misrepresenting vehicles.

There's also the moderators job to keep threads on topic so this one was really about Bring a Trailer auctions. I'm not going to impose any decision unless "Kingkarmann" as creator of the topic thinks it should be true to the title of the topic. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Just trying to keep my promise to entertain— but since these posts seem less so, I will demure.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Trylon wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

It's a bit of an odd one really for a Mod. I don't want to appear to impose my preference but it used to be a no no to post any comments drawing attention to live Ebay/Craigslist sales under the broad assumption members of the forum could be in the process of buying. The only exceptions were discussions where adverts were seemingly misrepresenting vehicles.

There's also the moderators job to keep threads on topic so this one was really about Bring a Trailer auctions. I'm not going to impose any decision unless "Kingkarmann" as creator of the topic thinks it should be true to the title of the topic. Smile

I appreciate Trylon posting those other listings. I suppose some of the Hemmings and other off site sale Ghia's may more closely align with the "Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts" thread. Some of those dealers are sure proud of what they have Rolling Eyes I always enjoy seeing what is in the market.
My intent in creating this thread is to specifically discuss Bring a Trailer Ghia offerings is to read opinions from fellow Sambanista's who might be hesitant or just not post on BAT a forum to express a view.

My two cents.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Could the Hemmings sales go in the "Today in Ghia Hunting History" category? I've seen postings there for Craigslist or fakebook market. Or the Hemmings can go into the Overpriced Ghia's thread as John said.
My three cents!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Coming soon to BaT:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Very Happy
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Coming soon to BaT:

Very Happy

Yours?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
Trylon wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

I appreciate Trylon posting those other listings. I suppose some of the Hemmings and other off site sale Ghia's may more closely align with the "Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts" thread. Some of those dealers are sure proud of what they have Rolling Eyes I always enjoy seeing what is in the market.
My intent in creating this thread is to specifically discuss Bring a Trailer Ghia offerings is to read opinions from fellow Sambanista's who might be hesitant or just not post on BAT a forum to express a view.

My two cents.

For other Forums on the site, these sorts of postings would go in the appropriate "Whine" thread (Ghia equivalent is listed above).

I'm not going to override anything you guys decide but my preference would be to keep this thread to BAT auctions only since that is the overall title of the thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Coming soon to BaT:

Very Happy

It looks like Bill's 1967 castillian yellow cabriolet with the Nardi steering wheel. Cool

I'll be listing my 1970 Pampas yellow cabriolet by the end of this Summer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Quote:
It looks like Bill's 1967 castillian yellow cabriolet with the Nardi steering wheel.

That's right! Bill S from central Connecticut. Here's a shot from a similar perspective with the top up, taken last September at the Connecticut VW Association meet in Westbrook.

Bill drove the '67 on a few longer tour trips, such as here in one of the Canadian eastern provinces along with Moogie32's '63 Cabrio (her photo).
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

That’s a sharp looking car from the photos should sell strong.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Looks like some beautiful offerings are coming to BAT.
Re-reading my response;
"I appreciate Trylon posting those other listings. I suppose some of the Hemmings and other off site sale Ghia's may more closely align with the "Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts" thread. Some of those dealers are sure proud of what they have Rolling Eyes I always enjoy seeing what is in the market.
My intent in creating this thread is to specifically discuss Bring a Trailer Ghia offerings is to read opinions from fellow Sambanista's who might be hesitant or just not post on BAT a forum to express a view
."
Boy, that's some painful grammar! I think that may have been bourbon speak Embarassed

Mike Gerson

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

So let’s just end this unfortunate incident and leave this thread to its original purpose.
I seem to always be pushing the rules.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-convertible-3/ $9800 with an hour and a half to go.

That is THE worst Ghia I’ve ever seen sold on BAT. I can’t believe it went for over $15k! It’s in worse shape than the Ghia vert listed on the samba for $3500, but I guess if you spray shiny paint on a turd someone on BAT will buy it.

It is definitely one of the rougher ones. Buyer certainly went in with eyes wide open.
Seller should be happy.
It is also possible it’s going overseas. That could explain the strong result.

This same 65 Black Vert with Red interior sold on Bat for $15,250 three weeks ago is now on Ebay for $34,000. The drivers seat has been stitched up and the pictures make it look like the price is about right but then we know from looking at all the pictures on BAT that this car has lots of issues. Unbelievable!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274879032147?hash=item4000112b53:g:UqEAAOSwqVlg~HqA

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-convertible-3/ $9800 with an hour and a half to go.

That is THE worst Ghia I’ve ever seen sold on BAT. I can’t believe it went for over $15k! It’s in worse shape than the Ghia vert listed on the samba for $3500, but I guess if you spray shiny paint on a turd someone on BAT will buy it.

It is definitely one of the rougher ones. Buyer certainly went in with eyes wide open.
Seller should be happy.

This same 65 Black Vert with Red interior sold on Bat for $15,250 three weeks ago is now on Ebay for $34,000. The drivers seat has been stitched up and the pictures make it look like the price is about right but then we know from looking at all the pictures on BAT that this car has lots of issues. Unbelievable!

Well, at least he has a disclaimer;

"People have different opinions and expectations of older vehicles. It is your responsibility to personally inspect the vehicle or send a third-party inspector that will perform an inspection to your satisfaction.

Due to vehicle age all sales are "Final" and "As Is" "

That inspires confidence Rolling Eyes

Mike Gerson

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Seller should be happy.

What a sleezeball.
No underside shots showing the rotten pans and rockers, no shots of rust bubbles, etc.
That guy has too know that heap is a total rotten turd. I wish there was some way to out such scammers on EBay.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

What a sleezeball.
No underside shots showing the rotten pans and rockers, no shots of rust bubbles, etc.
That guy has too know that heap is a total rotten turd. I wish there was some way to out such scammers on EBay.

Seems a bit cruel to say this but we all know it's a case of "Buyer Beware!"
The Samba has always been the best place to get expert advice but Social Media seems to be the place where anyone with a voice can give their "expert" advice by clicking the "Thumbs Up" button.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Since this thread is about BAT auctions, here's my two cents worth: I really enjoy the auctions and that anyone can join in on the conversations about condition. It's a great way to learn more about these cars, and hear great stories, but I'm noticing more and more auctions state: "recently acquired by the seller". This likely means it's either a dealer or a flipper. Not much difference in my opinion! I think this will eventually lead BAT down the same road as Ebay. I think BAT should categorize sellers into "Dealers" and "Private Owners". It's usually obvious, but it should be made clear.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Since this thread is about BAT auctions, here's my two cents worth: I really enjoy the auctions and that anyone can join in on the conversations about condition. It's a great way to learn more about these cars, and hear great stories, but I'm noticing more and more auctions state: "recently acquired by the seller". This likely means it's either a dealer or a flipper. Not much difference in my opinion! I think this will eventually lead BAT down the same road as Ebay. I think BAT should categorize sellers into "Dealers" and "Private Owners". It's usually obvious, but it should be made clear.

Agreed. There are a lot of the same sellers in the air cooled VW listings. I think some of these guys sensed which direction values are going and are snapping up cars that are sold be people not aware of the rising values and flipping for a tidy profit with little investment in the cars. Eventually people will catch on and these guys will be forced to move on to something else, like 90s Hondas.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

^^^ Agree...I would trust a private seller more than most dealers. Most dealers are unlikely to have any emotional attachment to the car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 112

Jump to: