Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this? Fuel cutoff valve?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xvcs13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: What is this? Fuel cutoff valve? Reply with quote

I'm working on a fuel feed issue on my '71 Ghia which has been sitting for 18 months. Blowing out the fuel line cleared things and I've replaced the hoses and fuel filter while everything was pulled apart.

However, there is a diaphragm/valve inserted in the fuel hoses that I've not seen much info on. The inbound fuel hose attaches to a short bit of pipe on top of this thing, another short hose attaches it to the pump, a hose attaches the pump out line back to this part and a final bit of hose connects to the fuel filter and then to the carb.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I read a fuel cutoff was put in 1971/72 VWs but info seems scarce. The pump itself is an aftermarket sealed item and I'm wondering if this unidentified part is a fuel cutoff or pressure regulator added when the aftermarket fuel pump was replaced by a previous owner.

This bit adds a lot of complexity/difficulty to installing the fuel lines by requiring several really small sections. I'm not sure it's needed at all, looking at other VWs with aftermarket pumps. First, what is it? Second, is it critical? Third, can it be eliminated to simplify the hosing/installation?

Thanks!
Dave
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: What is this? Fuel cutoff valve? Reply with quote

It's an anti-drainback valve.

Keeps fuel from draining back to tank. Earlier cars had these and then on later cars this function was built into the fuel pump, eliminating the need.
xvcs13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this? Fuel cutoff valve? Reply with quote

Ah, thanks! Does that mean with the new EMPI pump I'm going to put in I don't need it?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this? Fuel cutoff valve? Reply with quote

xvcs13 wrote:
Ah, thanks! Does that mean with the new EMPI pump I'm going to put in I don't need it?

You can get away without it. But keep it. Someone may want it in the future.

Suggest buying a rebuilt fuel pump from the classifieds. Bill does a fine job rebuilding Pierburg FP's.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2320153

Welcome to the samba!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
xvcs13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this? Fuel cutoff valve? Reply with quote

Thanks for that confirmation, much appreciated. This'll make the job a lot less tedious.

And yes, I'll keep it! And I'll look Bill's work.

Dave
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: What is this? Fuel cutoff valve? Reply with quote

xvcs13 wrote:
I read a fuel cutoff was put in 1971/72 VWs ...

And that is what your photo is. Its purpose was to prevent the not uncommon problem of fuel
flowing thru the pump and into the carb, resulting in flooding and fuel-contaminated crankcase oil.
That was especially prone to happen when vehicle was parked on a slope, with tank higher than
carb. VW later had the cutoff valve incorporated into the "non-rebuildable" pumps they used, just like
the pre-71 pumps used in type 1 vehicles had.
I'm not aware of any aftermarket pump that has/had such a feature.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: What is this? Fuel cutoff valve? Reply with quote

I've seen them mostly on twin carb type 3 engines, my 1500S had one. I've also heard it described as a vapor-lock solution?
xvcs13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this? Fuel cutoff valve? Reply with quote

Ok, that makes sense given I have a '71 and they put them on at least '71 and '72 as far as I've read. But what happened in '73 and beyond? Do they all get these added? And same for any pre-'71 that gets a new aftermarket pump?
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this? Fuel cutoff valve? Reply with quote

xvcs13 wrote:
Ok, that makes sense given I have a '71 and they put them on at least '71 and '72 as far as I've read. But what happened in '73 and beyond? Do they all get these added?

'73 and '74 mechanical pumps on Bugs (and some other vehicles) had the cutoff valve incorporated inside the pump. Just like it was
on the earlier Pierburg "square-top" pumps. And even before that, VW put an almost identical cutoff valve thingie in Bugs.
Busses with upright engines never had a cutoff valve in their fuel systems, I suppose because the tank was mostly below the carb, and close to the engine, so it was considered unlikely to have fuel gravity flow into the engine, although there are posts by some bus owners here saying it happened to them.

mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: What is this? Fuel cutoff valve? Reply with quote

I have heard of upright engines with stock 34PICT-3 carburettors and leaking metering valves in the carburettors, but the usual problem is anything Weber....

Their needle valves rely on a tapered needle resting on the edge of a hole drilled in the valve. As the engine vibrates, a ring of wear appears and then the needle stops working 100% , the float chamber keeps on filling up, especially with a full tank of fuel.

So fuel shutoffs are needed with stock fuel pumps and Weber carburettors.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xvcs13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: What is this? Fuel cutoff valve? Reply with quote

My Ghia doesn't have a Weber carbs, isn't an upright bus engine nor has other mods. Simply an aftermarket pump and the carb that came from the plant, a Solex 34PICT3.

From what I'm gathering is that it's probably needed in '71 and '72 type 1s--though one person said it wasn't. And probably for aftermarket pumps, regardless of year.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: What is this? Fuel cutoff valve? Reply with quote

The VW Solex carbureter needle valves are exactly as described above by mikedjames, and they have the same
wear and leakage problem, which is of course why VW used the cutoff valves. I have seen some very pronounced wear
rings on the needles from used VW carbs.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: