Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quick jack and a type 1?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

whats a quick jack?

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

Thought I’d post a few pics of my setup while I used the quick jacks this evening. This seems to be the best configuration I’ve been able to come up with so far. Works really well and in spite of the dodgy looking 2x6, it’s actually quite safe and stable. The plank is there to help spread the load to the tunnel from the outer floor/A pillar area. I used two low blocks up front on each side and one high block on each side in the rear.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
63kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

[quote="bobnorman"]Thought I’d post a few pics of my setup while I used the quick jacks this evening. This seems to be the best configuration I’ve been able to come up with so far. Works really well and in spite of the dodgy looking 2x6, it’s actually quite safe and stable. The plank is there to help spread the load to the tunnel from the outer floor/A pillar area. I used two low blocks up front on each side and one high block on each side in the rear.

Well that's comforting at least, I was just about to try the quickjack on my 60 Beetle and your solution of a 2x6 is what occurred to me as well! BUT- nobody ever posted photos of "how did you set it up under a bug".
So if this works Ill post some photos. May have to shorten a 2x6 to get there.

Oh- and wrt the side to side orientation- I wouldn't do that with any work that might result in significant front to back rocking- such as pulling the engine, which is what I need to do today in order to change the generator bearings.

And before some knowitall tells me how to change generator bearings without pulling the engine; this is an original 60 bug.
1968 Bug (first car- $100 03/04/80- still have it)
1972 Super Beetle
1973 Thing
1976 Type 2 (family heirloom)
1977 Westy
1981 911 SC Targa
1987 Westy
Gone but not forgotten - 63 Bug, 63 356, 64 Bug, 64 Sunroof Bug, 64 Kombi, 65 Bug, 66 Bug (2x), 66 Sunroof Bug, 67 Bug, 67 912 Targa, 69 Bug, 70 Bug, 70 Bus, 71 914, 74 412 Wagon, 74 412 Sedan.
63kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

I ended up using a 2X8 across the front, with two short rubber blocks under each side for stability. That works great. In the back right now I have two tall blocks, running front to back up under the torsion tube. Im not entirely happy with that at the moment, it looks "pretty" stable but not yet convinced it is fully stable, adequate for pulling drums and body work perhaps but Im not convinced it wont shift enough to be dangerous to the body if used in this configuration for pulling the engine.
BTW- I wouldn't pull the wheels and get under it like this- but if it were to "slip" off the blocks the car would just crash down onto the quickjack frames- it would still be fully off the ground. I just don't want to add more bodywork needs to my list.
1972 Super Beetle
1973 Thing
1977 Westy
1981 911 SC Targa
1987 Westy
Gone but not forgotten - 63 Bug, 63 356, 64 Bug, 64 Sunroof Bug, 64 Kombi, 65 Bug, 66 Bug (2x), 66 Sunroof Bug, 67 Bug, 67 912 Targa, 69 Bug, 70 Bug, 70 Bus, 71 914, 74 412 Wagon, 74 412 Sedan.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

No help specific to a Beetle, but here is my experience with a Type 3.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683430
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

63kombi wrote:
I ended up using a 2X8 across the front, with two short rubber blocks under each side for stability. That works great. In the back right now I have two tall blocks, running front to back up under the torsion tube. Im not entirely happy with that at the moment, it looks "pretty" stable but not yet convinced it is fully stable, adequate for pulling drums and body work perhaps but Im not convinced it wont shift enough to be dangerous to the body if used in this configuration for pulling the engine.
BTW- I wouldn't pull the wheels and get under it like this- but if it were to "slip" off the blocks the car would just crash down onto the quickjack frames- it would still be fully off the ground. I just don't want to add more bodywork needs to my list.

As mentioned in addition to the type 3, I’ve done it with a beetle as well. I used the same 2 x 6 and did not have to cut it. It was quite stable. I didn’t go under the torsion tubes, rather under the end caps. Next time I do it, I’ll be sure to take some more pics.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

One thing about using it on Bugs. Unlike the parallel rails of the Type 3, the Bug rails taper in the front. Since the Quickjack is NOT a true scissor jack (more of a parallelogram), and moves the car forward as it rises, there may be an issue of the front contact points moving or leaning as it rises, since they are not parallel.

Bug:

Type 3:

In both cases, take care to ensure the two QuickJack rails are parallel.
I am in the process of making a front 2x6 crossbar that fits tightly in the pockets of the front of the QJ ramps, and then also have custom fit pads in the rear. This ways they will always be positioned right. When I'm done (a few weeks?) I'll post dimensions.
63kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

In both cases, take care to ensure the two QuickJack rails are parallel.
I am in the process of making a front 2x6 crossbar that fits tightly in the pockets of the front of the QJ ramps, and then also have custom fit pads in the rear. This ways they will always be positioned right. When I'm done (a few weeks?) I'll post dimensions.[/quote]

Yes, exactly right- they need to be parallel and run front to back of the car. Are you planning for the custom rear blocks to be under the pan or the torsion tube? I shook my bug a bit and determined it was ok for dropping the engine today, but a wider, single block that fit solidly in the rear sections of the QJ and picked up by the tube strikes me as a good general solution. My beetle has a solid frame and pans but plenty don't and picking up by the pan may not work so well.
1972 Super Beetle
1973 Thing
1977 Westy
1981 911 SC Targa
1987 Westy
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

QuickJack 5000# version is now $1200 at Costco:
https://www.costco.com/quickjack-5,000lb.-slx-capa...66851.html

This is oversize for a VW but it fit my Type 3 fine, and the Bugs have the same wheel bace, so I would think it would work.
Don 62bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

The 5000 pounder is the one I'm contemplating, it has a 70" length and I could use it on other vehicles. Question for the folks that have used this successfully if you have the 5000 or 3500 pound version????
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

5000. As mentioned, with the inclusion of a 2x8 up front to distribute the load from the A pillar, it works great with a type 1 or type 3.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

Don 62bug wrote:
The 5000 pounder is the one I'm contemplating, it has a 70" length and I could use it on other vehicles. Question for the folks that have used this successfully if you have the 5000 or 3500 pound version????

5000 for my Type 3:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683430&start=27
vgonzalez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

I used the accessory to lft and it is working ok.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/QUICKJACK-Fits-5000-Se...er_reviews
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

Got a photo of it fitting your car? Looks sort of like my homemade wooden crossbeam.

Do those "feet" slide side-to-side?
Stereowiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

bobnorman was very helpful when I asked for some details, so I thought I'd post these images in case that helps out anyone else.

I recently got a Quickjack 5000 for my garage. The primary reason is to make it easier / faster to work on our '73 Standard Beetle but also to work on my daily Sportwagen and the wife's Odyssey. The 14 year old and I got the Bug in March. The prior owners have done a great job keeping it up, but it has and will need things from time to time. Our first project that the Quickjack helped with was a front brake disc conversion.

For using the Quickjack, I too found that a wood crossmember at the front did best. We spent a day trying out different ideas and placements and finally settled on the images here. That was two 5/4" board screwed together for the front (these were left over deckboards) and 39" wide to fit within the rail. Two large 'blocks' for each side that come with the Quickjack in the rear and one medium 'block' for each side that also come with the Quickjack under the boards in the front.

I'll be saying lots of things wrong as I go! I'm just getting back into air cooled things after taking about 30 years off and am learning and re-learning all sorts of things.

My opinion - this makes some tasks a lot simpler and faster and is worth it if you have limited time but like working on a variety of cars for a variety of things.

Now on to figuring out why I have an oil leak near / under the oil filler. I suspect a bad gasket. But it could be that, a pinhole in the stock filler or a loose nut. That's the fun for me. Our 1600 is a dual port and I've just had the fun of replacing the intake hoses. But I learned something.

'69 Type 3 Squareback

'03 Golf GTi

'15 Golf Sportwagen TDI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

Yes, that’s exactly how I did it. Well, I used a 2 x 6 instead of the two 5/4 boards. But that’s even stronger/better. Great pictures!

The load gets distributed to three points, the outer A posts, and the tunnel.

As for being parallel - it is. If you look at the chassis drawing above you can see the bolt on covers for the torsion bars are pretty much parallel to where the pans narrow at the A pillars.

Stereowiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

bobnorman, that's certainly the best way from all of the things we tried. And you're right, the two jacks are parallel with one another here. Your board idea works very well. I had this up for 10 days (locked) while I did the front disc conversion, figured out the best way to put new bearings in the rotors, put in new lines and hoses, bled the lines, replaced the parking brake cables and replaced the rear shoes and some other rear parts. What I really liked was when I found the occasional unexpected part needed, it was no big deal to leave it in the air until that new part came in so that I could then finish whatever was needed for an area.

I did get the bejeebers scared out of me on the second 'trial' of the lift, when I had taken it up to max extension for the first time. When lowering it, one jack dropped slower than the other. I didn't notice until about 1/2 way down as I was off to one side. That ended up with the Bug 'leaning' over about 4"-6" to one side. Then I had to make a choice. Should I go back up or keep going down? I wanted to pick quick as I was stopped between 'lock' points and didn't want to keep pressure on the jack hydraulics. So...I kept going down while sweating and making up new words in my head. It worked out just fine and hasn't happened again since. I'm chalking it up to new jacks / fluid / air pressure working themselves out. But I raise and lower from the center now so that I see both sides.

'69 Type 3 Squareback

'03 Golf GTi

'15 Golf Sportwagen TDI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I've read every post that I can find about the quick jack and the type 1 but does anyone have experience with a 7000lb version?

I primarily plan to use the quick jacks as I restore my convertible and maintain my sedan but I'd also like to be able to do oil changes and tire rotations on my wife's Ford Expedition. It has a curb weight of 5200-5700. I'm normally a gamblin kinda guy but not under those circumstances. Any suggestions?

From what I've read from KTPhil, the 5000lb version barely fits. I doubt the 7000 would.

TIA

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
Stereowiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

Hi Jos,

I don't have experience with that model. I would look at the dimensional drawings of the 5000 and 7000 models. Look for the measurements for what separates the rubber block areas front to back. If the two are similar, a 7000 should work fine. If it is longer overall than the distance between the same-side front and rear Bug wheels, you can work it in diagonally with no problem and then straighten it out. A 5000 barely scoots in straight from the side.

Good luck!

'69 Type 3 Squareback

'03 Golf GTi

'15 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick jack and a type 1? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
QuickJack 5000# version is now $1200 at Costco:
https://www.costco.com/quickjack-5,000lb.-slx-capa...66851.html

This is oversize for a VW but it fit my Type 3 fine, and the Bugs have the same wheel bace, so I would think it would work.

Damn, exactly one year later and it's gone up 200 bucks! COVID.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: