Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RMW Aluminum FUEL Expansion Tanks or Stock Replacement
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Aluminum FUEL Expansion Tanks or Stock Replacement Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
I'm sure you've pointed that out before, Mark, and I just as surely forgot, but thanks.

Nonetheless, considering only a small minority of vans got factory fuel heaters, a tank with the missing volume restored would have been nice to have standard, and the old style offered with the heater options.

I have wondered if anyone has modified their stock tank to get back the lost volume?
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Aluminum FUEL Expansion Tanks or Stock Replacement Reply with quote

I grabbed one at a junkyard years ago to experiment with welding in a roof over the saddle that would increase the volume. Then I moved into my Syncro and that tank's still sitting behind the shop, just wasn't an issue for me any more. But the 2wd range is not great, it would be a boon to those drivers.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Aluminum FUEL Expansion Tanks or Stock Replacement Reply with quote

twin tanks would be nice, syncro and 2 wd tanks.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Aluminum FUEL Expansion Tanks or Stock Replacement Reply with quote

Anyone checked to see if new tanks are available from VW? and at what price?
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: RMW Aluminum FUEL Expansion Tanks or Stock Replacement Reply with quote

I just installed the RMW tanks this morning. They are beautifully made and fit like a charm. Yes they are expensive, but my plastic tanks were toast. Plenty of room in the wheel well without removing the wheel to get the job done.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Aluminum FUEL Expansion Tanks or Stock Replacement Reply with quote

Perales wrote:
I just installed the RMW tanks this morning. They are beautifully made and fit like a charm.

Wifey had a great year at work and jumped into "let's bling out the van" mode Cool . Along with some mundane replacement parts she also bought us the RMW expansion tanks.

Mine did not fit like a charm. I suspect that the OEM plastic tanks have a bit of flex to them that allows them to "adjust" for different thicknesses of undercoating applied to the wheel wells. The problem I ran into was that tightening the nut on the single mounting bolt would pull the "socket" on the rear of the tank out of the indent on the passenger's wheel well. I had to cut away some undercoating which is a big concern - gonna need to reapply that - and add a couple washers between the tank and the body. The driver's side went better but I still had to add a washer or else the tank would rotate enough to pop out of the indent. A rubber mallet came in handy too. I'm a bit worried about the metal-on-metal contact with the plug/socket over time too.

I think it's a great product, especially with no other options for broken OEM tanks, but just know that this job can take way longer than you may think. Maybe one of those "don't fix what ain't broke" kinda things.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Aluminum FUEL Expansion Tanks or Stock Replacement Reply with quote

Mine fit with no issues. Since it's Aluminum being shoved up against painted Steel, I added grease on that 'socket' or 'tab' at the rear to help lessen the issue of dissimilar metal corrosion or trapped water.
I then sprayed a Body Cavity Wax all over the tanks once they were fully hooked up, this way any touch ups later on will be easy and that wax really sheds the water too, which is nice since the tanks are basically Fender Splash Shields with either stock versions or aftermarket due to their location near the front tires.... Rolling Eyes
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: