Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mofoco Head Problems, Fixes, and Perfomance- Post it all here
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco Head Problems, Fixes, and Perfomance- Post it all here Reply with quote

I'm curious I this has been going on all along with these heads(I did read the first page of the thread as it was being made, but went away for a while and it became 3 pages) or if this is a new issue. I don't recall seeing previous threads where these issues were mentioned.

H20SB
Nightshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco Head Problems, Fixes, and Perfomance- Post it all here Reply with quote

To reply is this a new problem, the answer is no. Give it a google search and you can educate yourself from posts 15 or so years ago. I wish I had done my research but I was focused on buying a made in the US product. All in all I fixed what was needed and I myself are very pleased with the outcome.
Nightshift
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco Head Problems, Fixes, and Perfomance- Post it all here Reply with quote

So on the 2 cases of issues reported here, what is the cause of the seat overhang? Is the seat machined in the wrong place or is the port wall off. And the issue of the valve guide bosses being off center. Is that because the valve guide is mislocated or the valve guide boss in the head is off some?

I just looked at a set of AA heads I have and the seats and port walls are perfectly smooth, although it looks like it may have been slightly cleaned up. I can see 1 valve guide boss slightly off center, but only a few thou, not much
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco Head Problems, Fixes, and Perfomance- Post it all here Reply with quote

where is Roy?
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco Head Problems, Fixes, and Perfomance- Post it all here Reply with quote

Don't think for a second he doesn't know of this thread. I think he is sitting this one out.

Lots of constructive discussion here if one is willing to discern it. Hopefully he takes some of the feedback to heart. I wish him the best and personally would consider his heads in the future.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nightshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco Head Problems, Fixes, and Perfomance- Post it all here Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
So on the 2 cases of issues reported here, what is the cause of the seat overhang? Is the seat machined in the wrong place or is the port wall off. And the issue of the valve guide bosses being off center. Is that because the valve guide is mislocated or the valve guide boss in the head is off some?

I just looked at a set of AA heads I have and the seats and port walls are perfectly smooth, although it looks like it may have been slightly cleaned up. I can see 1 valve guide boss slightly off center, but only a few thou, not much

I hope that Roy will make an appearance and explain the cause of all the issues.
Nightshift
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco Head Problems, Fixes, and Perfomance- Post it all here Reply with quote

If the port hangs "in the port" its not much of a problem since it can be corrected pretty easy, and it will be easy to make the pressure recovery point right, or at least decent. The other way around creates loads of issues.

I doubt Roy will appear here, and that I fully understand. I DO hope he is taking notes though, and takes action no less.

Wrt the overhang and why. It is generally due to too inconsistent sand castings and poorly shaped/placed ports. The machining inconsistencies are most likely down to machinery with too much slack and not enough QC at/before the assembly point. I know nothing about which machinery they have today, but if the cylinder head machining station is the one his father bought back in the mid-late 80´s IIRC its probably time to retire it.
gbaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco Head Problems, Fixes, and Perfomance- Post it all here Reply with quote

Empi GTV-2 are the same. Super nice casting, just expect to strip them bare and re-do them. It’s a bummer you can’t buy them bare. We redid a set of the Empi’s and they came out super nice. Very good bang for your buck.
Jason Eggum did the same thing with a set and he went low sixes and possibly high-fives. I have not had a chance to personally see the Mofoco castings but I heard they’re nice as well.
Nightshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco Head Problems, Fixes, and Perfomance- Post it all here Reply with quote

gbaker wrote:
Empi GTV-2 are the same. Super nice casting, just expect to strip them bare and re-do them. It’s a bummer you can’t buy them bare. We redid a set of the Empi’s and they came out super nice. Very good bang for your buck.
Jason Eggum did the same thing with a set and he went low sixes and possibly high-fives. I have not had a chance to personally see the Mofoco castings but I heard they’re nice as well.

You have hit it directly on the nose, Perfection. Why would we buy a set of heads that needs to be dissembled and repaired. Its not just a valve seat overhang, its a list of problems that needs addressing. As I stated before, I am pleased with the outcome and the performance.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco Head Problems, Fixes, and Perfomance- Post it all here Reply with quote

I wont buy a set of heads and not take them apart. IMHO thats asking for some sort of issue. I have bought heads with the over hang seat issue...and they were welded up...and still had the issue when I get them..new, to some it matters. to others it dont. some would never know that is not supposed to be like that. and to others they are still scratching their heads trying to figure out what this thread is about. remember gex is still selling stuff. Shocked so yes there are a lot of clueless people to buy stuff and not know by looking at it thats thats rong. and if a seat falls out.....or resess??
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco Head Problems, Fixes, and Perfomance- Post it all here Reply with quote

I bet it’s a whole list of issues causing this. It’s probably started at the casters. They are supposed to make the casting to specified size/ tolerance etc. they should have a set of blueprints for the casting itself. But more often then I’d like to see castings are off. They generally know this but ship them anyways. They know you ordered the casting 6 months ago and were given a shipping date that was three months ago. Then you get the castings. You inspect them. See they are off. You can either try to use them or try to return them and get new, correct castings. But. Your new castings won’t be made right away. They are at the end of another 6 month wait. But you have orders to fill based on castings you were supposed to get months earlier and be correct. Then the castings you did get. (That are sort of dodgy at best) need to be machined and finished to get out for late orders or put off another 6 months. So you try to use the best of the trash they sent you. Your fixtures and machines are set for a standard casting. But now stuff doesn’t line up. So you need to measure each casting and adjust for it or just run them as is. Then the guy running the machine doesn’t know or care enough to notice stuffs wrong. So you have all these crappy castings that aren’t machined quite right. But people still calling looking for their late parts. So. You think” these parts are being installed in vw engines. Nobody will really know. There’s no quality control after I ship them out. Or maybe a few will notice and it’ll have to be fixed” so you start shipping them. A few complaints. But most are just used because they weren’t checked or don’t know what to look for. Maybe the castings were designed Without enough material to allow for errors. I’ve gotten plenty of bad castings. But I make parts for airplanes and know they get inspected and if there’s a problem it comes back to me. I can see how this can happen.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco Head Problems, Fixes, and Perfomance- Post it all here Reply with quote

I have been following this thread and am wondering if some fellows here are expecting top end heads at an economy head price? These heads do not seem to be that expensive to me. personally would not expect highly detailed heads for that price.
Nightshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco Head Problems, Fixes, and Perfomance- Post it all here Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I have been following this thread and am wondering if some fellows here are expecting top end heads at an economy head price? These heads do not seem to be that expensive to me. personally would not expect highly detailed heads for that price.

The cost is very reasonable, I agree. Does that make it ok to send out heads with leaking valves, improper spring installation, offset guide bosses causing the valve springs to look like the Leaning Tower of Pizza. Frankly the answer is no.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco Head Problems, Fixes, and Perfomance- Post it all here Reply with quote

Quote:
causing the valve springs to look like the Leaning Tower of Pizza
That's a really cheesy comparison.

Embarassed
Rolling Eyes
Nightshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco Head Problems, Fixes, and Perfomance- Post it all here Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
causing the valve springs to look like the Leaning Tower of Pizza
That's a really cheesy comparison.

Embarassed
Rolling Eyes

It was all I could think of, my bad!
Nightshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco Head Problems, Fixes, and Perfomance- Post it all here Reply with quote

The cost is very reasonable, I agree. Does that make it ok to send out heads with leaking valves, improper spring installation, offset guide bosses causing the valve springs to look like the Leaning Tower of Pizza. Frankly the answer is no.[/quote]

So to caveat my last post. Sitting hear making dinner and thinking. The price is reasonable as we agreed. As a business owner I realize there is a balance between profit and non-profit on each job. If the price is high you wont sell. I can not tell my customers that since the product is fairly priced, I did not put much care and zero QC into it.
Hope this helps.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco Head Problems, Fixes, and Perfomance- Post it all here Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

You didnt even read page 1 did you? If you would have, you would not be making this statement and asking stupid questions like this.

To everyone that is reading this thread, do not make a comment unless you have seen exactly what is on page 1. We are not talking about budget stuff that is acceptable. Im not gonna repeat this stuff over and over for those that come in late, and ask stupid questions without even seeing the subject matter on page 1. This thread is for poeple that are dealing with the issues and trying to make the best out of their heads, or people that have machine shop experience that can add something helpfull. Or others that are buying MOFOCO heads and want to know things to check so that they can either ask to return or be successful in fixing and running them. .

Just one of the page 1 examples, Guide boss machined totally machined off center. OPRN, can your eyeballs see that the hole is not in the center? The spring is totally offset and pressing on the valve guide till it wears the hole into a oval within 100 miles. Is that ok for a budget head?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I know how [email protected] feels like now when people ask the same questions over and over and didnt even read the first page. Heres a "heads up", there is not much productive on the last 2 pages. Just read page 1. There are people posting with experience, and people with the luxury of casually observing that didnt have to fix heads with major concerns.

One thing valuable i learned, is that there is enough meat left on the guide boss to ramachine it for duals and get it straight. But all the guides need to come out and a valve job done over again. Not the plan for "budget heads". But for someone trying to make the best out of what they have, thats good info to know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco Head Problems, Fixes, and Perfomance- Post it all here Reply with quote

I am not really sure whey the bosses are offset in those heads. You are better off doing them by hand if that is the case in manufacture. All you need is a piloted cutter.

Could it be the CNC needs some TLC in adjustments?

I have never seen offsets in Brazilians or CB heads. Wish Roy will chime in and see where all these unwelcome 'defects' are coming from.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco Head Problems, Fixes, and Perfomance- Post it all here Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
oprn wrote:

You didnt even read page 1 did you? If you would have, you would not be making this statement and asking stupid questions like this.

To everyone that is reading this thread, do not make a comment unless you have seen exactly what is on page 1. We are not talking about budget stuff that is acceptable. Im not gonna repeat this stuff over and over for those that come in late, and ask stupid questions without even seeing the subject matter on page 1. This thread is for poeple that are dealing with the issues and trying to make the best out of their heads, or people that have machine shop experience that can add something helpfull. Or others that are buying MOFOCO heads and want to know things to check so that they can either ask to return or be successful in fixing and running them. .

Just one of the page 1 examples, Guide boss machined totally machined off center. OPRN, can your eyeballs see that the hole is not in the center? The spring is totally offset and pressing on the valve guide till it wears the hole into a oval within 100 miles. Is that ok for a budget head?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I know how [email protected] feels like now when people ask the same questions over and over and didnt even read the first page. Heres a "heads up", there is not much productive on the last 2 pages. Just read page 1. There are people posting with experience, and people with the luxury of casually observing that didnt have to fix heads with major concerns.

One thing valuable i learned, is that there is enough meat left on the guide boss to ramachine it for duals and get it straight. But all the guides need to come out and a valve job done over again. Not the plan for "budget heads". But for someone trying to make the best out of what they have, thats good info to know.

So I'm just watching because I love quality control anything. I am not even a type 1 person....but we had some similar issues (not this bad) with type 4 heads from AMC....where we WISHED for a long time we could just order the bare castings Rolling Eyes

I have a question based on the picture you posted. Aside from teh ledge on the valve seats being obviously too small for teh seat (which I assume was cast that way)......is the problem with the guides and bosses...JUST a machine error...or is it a casting straightness/core shift issue....or both?

In that picture, the guide on the left also looks off center...like its migrating toward 7:00 position.

From reading all of this since your first post...and the height issue with the floor of the rocker box.....the problem(s) are both casting and machining related? I would think its damn hard to machine accurately if there are few if any straight datum points on the casting.

Just watching...learning. Interesting thread. Ray
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco Head Problems, Fixes, and Perfomance- Post it all here Reply with quote

Ray,

GREAT POST! You noticed some things that others have not caught on to. You mentioned basically its hard to get a reference point when there is not a sure spot that is 100% where the factory meant it to be. That is also in line with what NSRacing mentioned about maybe a CNC needing a adjustment. Those might or might not be related, but along the same lines.

The 40x35.5 050 Rasser seat overhang is about 2mm more then the 42x37.5 seat overhang, like if the 050 Rasser was just a standard 050 head with some 2mm smaller seats stuck in them. Shocked Like Modok said, you can take material away, but you cant put it back, unless you remove all the seats and tig weld it up, and recut for new seats. The lack of material under seat in several different heads mentioned could be a few issues. Bottom line, its good to check and see what a person can live with, and check these things before install or before you put it on the shelf for 2 years. As Roy mentioned, you cant set heads to the side for long before they need to be taken apart and cleaned or the valves could stick? So do all the checking soon as they are out of the box. He has been great about returning them/exchanging them within reason.

Last edited by jpaull on Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: