Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

What would that cause? I assume the car would still run?

What is the cause/repair/parts needed to fix the weights flopping around very easily? (OR is that somehow normal?) I can see two springs which appear to be in the proper place.

I'm helping out a neighbor with a newly acquired oval that drives ok in general but with a terrible stumble and hesitation off idle and in the lower rpms. I dont know much about the 010 in specific but I just took a look at MY OWN 010 core that I'm going to rebuild and put in my new engine eventually and sure enough I cannot get the the advance mechanism weights to flop around by shaking it or moving shaft, etc. ON HIS I CAN... So I'm starting to think that is the problem....

Any thoughts or insights here?

Can someone post an exploded diagram of the advance mechanism on this distributor?
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

Some Bosch distributors will have begun their lives with plastic spacers round the pegs in the distributor where the springs are attached to the weights. I suppose to stop it rattling.
When those spacers vanish, the springs start rattling about as they are now slightly too long, and the weights can move a little before the springs take over.

However, I would guess that the flat spot is more to do with carburettor jetting, or the accellerator pump on a stock carburettor not being setup to match the needs of the engine.

Even small things like winding out the idle mixture screw slightly after setting the Lean Best Idle can make a difference to the hesitation of the engine.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

There are a few possibilities. The weights pivot on a pin. There isn't usually enough wear in the pin to cause the slop you describe. If the weights should come off the pivot pin due to a missing hair pin you'd get the condition you describe.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Another possibility is that the advance spring(s) have broken free of the points cam assembly end. You can test this possibility by twisting the points cam if it springs back to it's resting position the springs are still intact.

\

If the springs are overstretched or so far out of adjustment that they are slack all the time - as in rebuilt by an amateur, this could also lead to the result. If after twisting the points cam is feeble then this condition is likely. The spring back should be rather snappy.

In the cases above the engine could still idle but stepping on the gas would cause a stumble or stall due to lack of spark advance.

mikedjames is correct except that 010's are a bit too early to have any plastic in the assembly.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse

Last edited by tasb on Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

Thank you such much for the help so far. I think it's something like a pin came out or a spring came off of somewhere it was supposed to be. Its flopping around big time. I'll take a closer look next time I get over there. He bought the car sight unseen and then it arrived with this issue... he just wants to be able to drive it.

I noticed his pump shots where not in sync, I fixed that already... it improved driveability slightly but did not solve the primary issue. I suspected carbs briefly but now don't think so anymore. He had a lot of issues to begin with (like a loose distributor clamp missing the nut Brick wall ) I thought surely that was it... or his worn out points and ancient condenser... or carbs, yet process of elimination brought me back to square one. Suspect number 010....

Tasb, I think you've reassured me that I found his problem (or almost found it) It idles ok but it stumbles badly in the low rpms, mostly apparent in 1st and 2nd gear. Once you get past 2500 or 3000 rpms it springs back to life (pun intended, maybe? Laughing)
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

With a spring unattached the points cam will still advance with enough centrifical force but not fully return to rest when the centrical force is reduced. I'd put the ancient condenser back into service if there were no obvious physical faults. Brand new condensers are not to be trusted these days.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

If I just tipped his distributor on it side or shook it back it forth the little weights, or atleast one of them, just flopped around. Kinda made a clicking sound too as it tapped something... like a stop tab or even the housing... I'll have to take a closer look to be sure.

Based on what you say I have a feeling the pin came loose maybe? The problem is that is seems to advance fully with just a gently twist. And it also the weight doesn't seem to be returning? Maybe the mechanism is returning properly with the springs but the weight is disconnected?

Good point about the old condenser. It's not getting thrown away. I mainly meant it looked like it hadn't been replaced recently so wanted to eliminate that possibility.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

Broken springs.

Take the cap off and twist the rotor, is there any tension? Does it snap back?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Broken springs.

Take the cap off and twist the rotor, is there any tension? Does it snap back?

Yep no tension. It just moved back and forth throughout what I'd assume is the advance travel. But also the weight seems to have more movement, or more swing to it than normal on top of that.

I can remeber seeing the springs inside and they were attached to something but maybe the other attachment point is the problem underneath somewhere I couldn't see from the top.

I'll dig into soon and find out the exact problem. Sounds like bad advance makes sense with the symptoms and is likely the culprit here.

Last edited by evanfrucht on Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

Remove the points, the pass thru bolt for the points and then the (3) M4 screws holding the breaker plate. You'll see what the problem is then.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

I had a 36 horse Bug distributor like that. I don't know when it happened, sometime after the last point replacement I guess. I could turn the engine over by hand with a test light on the points and it looked like it was right at the 7.5 degree mark on the pulley. I could start the engine and hit it with a strobe and the mark on the pulley was "way over there" so somewhere around 25 degrees at idle. My guess is that the point drag on the cam kept the advance pulled off at zero rpm, but even idle speed advanced it all the way. It seemed to run OK, but that kind of advance likely would have been a problem if the compression wasn't below 7 to 1. One of the fine rebuilders who posts on theSamba fixed me up with a rebuilt distributor. Cool
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

If the weights are moving up and down instead of side to side there are a few pieces:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2164973
or this depending on which shaft is currently in there:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2164971

Then on top of that is this:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2366673
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2212660

If the top part of the shaft is moving up and down there are shims and washers.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
The problem is that is seems to advance fully with just a gently twist. And it also the weight doesn't seem to be returning? Maybe the mechanism is returning properly with the springs but the weight is disconnected?

It doesn't take much to advance a 010. The springs can get old and cause this to be too much. Distributors that have been sitting for a very long time get grease stuck under the weights. This causes them not to return back to the zero point very easily. Pop the top off and clean it up and you should be good to go.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
The springs can get old and cause this to be too much.

I've never seen "weak" springs. The main reasons to replace them are broken or damaged. I've checked the tension of hundreds of springs and they work as good as new, unless the above is true.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
heimlich wrote:
The springs can get old and cause this to be too much.

I've never seen "weak" springs. The main reasons to replace them are broken or damaged. I've checked the tension of hundreds of springs and they work as good as new, unless the above is true.

Corrosion can do it and create a weak point in the spring. I find it good policy to replace springs that have any corrosion no matter how minor it is.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

3000+ and not a single failure.

Spring steel is very resilient

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

I guess we both have our own unique path to perfection.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

I've found one single broken spring in a 010 before, and it was right at the first coil. The entire unit was very, very rusty.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
I've found one single broken spring in a 010 before, and it was right at the first coil. The entire unit was very, very rusty.

That's usually where I see them broken; where they hang onto the tab. I had a 022 last week and both springs were broken there.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Lingwendil wrote:

That's usually where I see them broken; where they hang onto the tab. I had a 022 last week and both springs were broken there.

Agreed... it's a stress point. Sometimes I see that the PO fixed it by turning 1 or 2 looks 90* to reattach. But that increased the spring tension and moves the curve up the RPM range.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

Ok so I found the issue and was able to fix it. One of his springs was not attached to one of the the little tabs toward the outside. Now I was actually able to time it correctly and it made a very significant difference.

The car is now driveable but there is still a very slight flat spot around 1500 rpms that last for a split second... you do need to rev it up a fair bit to take off smoothly in first gear. I'm wondering how normal that is... this is an old original Okrasa engine, I think only 1300cc. It also has the original crash box transmission. What is also weird is that the flat spot is not noticeable in reverse. It zips right out the driveway with ease, just off idle... but when I try to take off in first gear it requires a good amount of gas and reving up as I release the clutch. I'm used a much more powerful engine so I'm wondering if this is simply normal, nature of the beast, etc. Or if there is a likely a clear problem with carbs or something? It's much better now and sounds good and smooth when you rev it up in neutral, it's just has a slight flat spot under load.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: