Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater channel front and rear points - Cover/connection?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Heater channel front and rear points - Cover/connection? Reply with quote

So I am placing/fitting the CIS sourced heater channel. And while it fits, there are two things I am just not sure about. The Bentley 61-67 manual offers no clues. Am I wrong, but they left the heater channel completely out of the manual?
1. Rear Fender well: I am rebuilding that area as well. But before I put that piece in and weld it, I decided to prefit the heater channel. The back of the heater channel is just bent flanged on the metal channel part. Question 1- Do I fit the heater channel first and then do that final repair of the rear fender well, or vice versa? I assume I weld or permanently attach the heater channel to the fender well.
2. Front inner fender mating: I measured, marked and aligned the gerson pan to the heater channel in advance so I would not have the pan/channel hole offset issue. The replacement inner fender bit I got from Mike is temporarily fitted and looks good, but not quite aligning up from the side member to the heater channel. Similar question. Should I fit and fix the heater channel install first and then attach the inner fender bit to align to the heater channel or vice-versa?
Thanks in advance
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater channel front and rear points - Cover/connection? Reply with quote

I’ve replaced both areas on a 63 square. I did the rear fender part first then attached it to the heater channel. For the front parts, I replaced the large pieces that I hade then did my best to cobble it together. Nothing fit spot on and I used parts from a 68 for the front and parts from a 64 for the rear. In both areas I just started from where the good metal was cut out the rusted pieces.
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Heater channel front and rear points - Cover/connection? Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
So I am placing/fitting the CIS sourced heater channel. And while it fits, there are two things I am just not sure about. The Bentley 61-67 manual offers no clues. Am I wrong, but they left the heater channel completely out of the manual?
1. Rear Fender well: I am rebuilding that area as well. But before I put that piece in and weld it, I decided to prefit the heater channel. The back of the heater channel is just bent flanged on the metal channel part. Question 1- Do I fit the heater channel first and then do that final repair of the rear fender well, or vice versa? I assume I weld or permanently attach the heater channel to the fender well.
2. Front inner fender mating: I measured, marked and aligned the gerson pan to the heater channel in advance so I would not have the pan/channel hole offset issue. The replacement inner fender bit I got from Mike is temporarily fitted and looks good, but not quite aligning up from the side member to the heater channel. Similar question. Should I fit and fix the heater channel install first and then attach the inner fender bit to align to the heater channel or vice-versa?
Thanks in advance

When I did my 71 Notch, I did it like Jack suggested, and used the good metal to work off of. If you can, bolt what you can to the pan, and use that as a reference point, the work your way to getting the plumbing part of the heater channel aligned (thinking you have the heater channel open and in 3 pieces (4 with the outer heat shield). When I replaced the HC's on a 69 Square, I had to replace the heater tube inside, as the guy only bought the outer skin. I fabricated the inner skin, and used 2 inch exhaust pipe for the heater tube. My problem was some of the parts were bought before I had the car in my possession, and didn't know how bad it was (someone had been in there before too). I ended up fabricating both inner skins, adding exhaust tubing inside both, then welding on the outer skins, rebuilding both front curved sections and primed and painted all of it within 13 days (I was younger back then) start to finish, not to mention fabbing up some rear bumper support brackets to hang the rear bumper.

As far as the front goes, you might want to drill out the spot welds, so you can shape the metal to fit better (might be what you're fighting). Like with the rear, bolt the new piece to the Gerson pan, and then work the replacement metal to the existing metal. Shoot some self tappers in, and tweak it where you need to. Once you have it tacked in place, then remove the screws and with a copper block fill in the screw holes with weld.
Let me know if you need some more help.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater channel front and rear points - Cover/connection? Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

As far as the front goes, you might want to drill out the spot welds, so you can shape the metal to fit better (might be what you're fighting). Like with the rear, bolt the new piece to the Gerson pan, and then work the replacement metal to the existing metal. Shoot some self tappers in, and tweak it where you need to. Once you have it tacked in place, then remove the screws and with a copper block fill in the screw holes with weld.
Let me know if you need some more help.

The Spot welds!!! Idea Exclamation Of course. And it is indeed what I had been fighting.
I had been doing what you suggest for hang and holding, (Although I use small Rivets instead of tappers for holding. Been using rivets so long for this, my small rivet tool says Otasco. Then grind off/fill weld once finished) But had not considered the spot welds. That is the suggestion I needed.
My Dad always said: "Just remember to not overweld" And I see that is the model VW used in their weld model. Although, I think the assembler working on my notch thought 'You can never have enough VW sealant.' There seems to be so much white VW sealant hiding little rot nodules. And we all know that white sealant is so easy to remove too. Rolling Eyes I have ended up using my oscillating multi-tool almost as much as the grinder on removing the old sealant and rot removal.
Been working on it 2-3 hours or more every morning before the heat, humidity and mosquitos drive me inside. Each time I think I am ready for the next step, it is time to go in. I have almost all the metal patches cut and fitted, and then almost ready to start the initial spot welds. For me, I feel like I am putting together a 3D puzzle when shaping and fitting the metal patches. Once happy with the fit, I weld. And I hate welding in the Summer. Too much sweat Embarassed
Thanks
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater channel front and rear points - Cover/connection? Reply with quote

Yeah in some places, you'd think the VW spot welder got paid by the spot weld. And the sealer guy was working out of a 55 gallon barrel, and had to use as much of it as he could. The trick to removing it is a propane torch, and a scraper/putty knife. Warm it up, and peel it off like butter. You'll probably find nice clean bare metal under it. Cool I hear ya on the humidity and bugs. We weren't doing to bad until it rained for 5 days straight, and gave the skeeters a drink, and they've been terrible since. My wife says she can't even stick her head out the front screen door without getting attacked. And walking to her car to go anywhere, she says she gets bitten by at least 5 times (I'm sure she's exaggerating, but...) . My son was over working on his Honda in the shade, and eventually moved everything into the sun just to cut down on the bugs. Earlier he used up most of a can of Deep Woods OFF, just trying to get some peace from the skeeters. Laughing
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: