Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 VW Camper sliding door will not open
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger4500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: 78 VW Camper sliding door will not open Reply with quote

So I replaced the wood panel with a vinyl one to match the front doors. I'm weird anyway. After putting sound deadening and insulation, if you close the door at lock it into place, the only way to get it open is from the inside by putting force on the door, pushing it outwards. To be clear, when the wood panel was originally on, the door would not close from the inside even with the handle being pushed forward. I'm new westys any advice or idea would be very much appreciated.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 VW Camper sliding door will not open Reply with quote

Did it work before you changed the panel?
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 VW Camper sliding door will not open Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Did it work before you changed the panel?

… remove the newly installed door panel and see if the door works - if it duz, then you know, you did something wrong - once happened to me - same circumstances - I kept putting off removing the new panel, I made of birch - finally removed it and found my error - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roger4500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 VW Camper sliding door will not open Reply with quote

The sliding door did work before.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: 78 VW Camper sliding door will not open Reply with quote

i just rebuilt mine and relieved years of slamming it closed and having to use two hands (the ole eagle spread) to open. I believe you mentioned that it would NOT close easily even before you did the cosmetic work. If you want a properly open/close unit, take the door off. Lay it across a couple of sawhorses, take some pictures of how the cable, spring, and spring anchor are laid out. Then take each mechanism off the door. Thoroughly clean each unit, and then grease/lube the hell out of them. Get them so the mechanisms operate like butter in your hands. You will also be able to get a look at how the rear latch mechanism operates. You can’t see much with the front one however.

Then bolt them back on. The cable adjuster up front is just a jamb nut barrel style adjuster. Play around with it and you will find the spot where you can flip the latch (simulating closed), and pull the handle to unlatch. Once that all feels good, throw the door back on.

Since you went to the trouble of taking the door off for this, you should rebuild the rear roller spring mechanism (the par T that rides on the track) as well. They simply come apart and do the same thorough clean, lube, and reassemble.

It’s a bit of work, but so is everything else on these. If you want it operate correctly, it will require some effort

No sense making it look pretty, if it dont work.

Edit: your first post said the door didn’t work before and then a later post said it did work before. One of us is confused

Where in NY are you? If your close to NH, or have any interest in coming to NH, hit me up. I can show you.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roger4500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 VW Camper sliding door will not open Reply with quote

Update:
So I found the problem, and it was from before. Still, when I was fixing the door, it came loss. There is a bushing with an indent that clicks into the metal case that house the mechanism for the door to unlash first of the bushing wasn't locked in place from when I got it. Hence, the door was always sticky, and it was turned enough for the latch to release after doing all of this and adding a little oil to the joints, and the wheel on the bottom of the door closes and opens perfectly.

Thank you to all that commented. Thanks to you, my sliding door works now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: