Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to find Used Wasserboxer?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
edsteckel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Where to find Used Wasserboxer? Reply with quote

Hello all, please forgive my ignorance of such things, but, in my life, I have done the forum thing only a couple times, so I'm new to all this.

I am the proud owner of a 1988 tin top 2WD. I believe the engine is blown (or head gaskets) as the oil is emulsified and looks like chocolate milk. Before this, I was looking at Subaru/ford conversion, I live in the San Fernando Valley, California, but I plan on moving in the near future.

I now find myself needing to re-engine my Vanagon, but cannot afford, at this time, a conversion. I was saving for it, but not there yet. So what to do?

I was thinking of just getting a used wasserbox (but none in junkyards, I'm told) and putting it in as a stop gap till I can convert it. I am dedicated to this, and am not getting rid of the Van.

Does anyone know of any available? I saw a link on a companies website (they did Subaru conversions)a couple months back saying the had a backlog of wasserboxes from their conversions, they even had pics, but I can't find it again.

Any experience and all input is valuable to me. Any input?

Thanks, Ed
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Used Wasserbox Reply with quote

Try here: https://smallcar.com/

Keep an eye on Craigslist too for a used engine. Also try to check out shops that do conversions in the SF valley and see if they can hook you up. Facebook may have a local Vanagon group too to check out.

Last edited by PDXWesty on Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find Used Wasserboxer? Reply with quote

You might also try https://www.stephansautohaus.com/ in Sacramento as well. Never know when they might have one show up.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find Used Wasserboxer? Reply with quote

ask if seller has video of engine running.

The classifieds in this forum is worth checking. I see one for sale in California:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2484331

It appears seller has a transmission for sale as well, if you're into storing spare parts:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2484330

Not sure if this seller is selling engine but...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1937535

If you have space for a donor Vanagon, this section might reveal a good deal on one:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=188944

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
AceTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find Used Wasserboxer? Reply with quote

You might just have a bad oil cooler or some leaking cylinder head cap nuts. If it were me, I'd clean it up and pressure test the cooling system to see where the coolant incursion is into the lube oil is then decide the best course of action for you.
Bing!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find Used Wasserboxer? Reply with quote

AceTaylor wrote:
You might just have a bad oil cooler or some leaking cylinder head cap nuts. If it were me, I'd clean it up and pressure test the cooling system to see where the coolant incursion is into the lube oil is then decide the best course of action for you.

This is great advice. These engines are fairly tough.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find Used Wasserboxer? Reply with quote

For less work and money, just pull the heads and re seal them. If it is running other wise just ignore the pits in the head and let the sealant fill them in. Clean out the big corrosion chunks and put it back together.

Just be careful pulling the heads that you do not pull the cylinders off as well. A used unknown engine is a gamble and can put you right back here.

An engine conversion unless you send the big dollars takes time to sort out. Don't overthink this.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find Used Wasserboxer? Reply with quote

+1 on trying to fix it first. It might not be a total failure.

In CA the Buslab in Berkeley and Stephan’s Auto Haus in Sacramento both do conversions, and so likely have or know where to find complete engines. I know Stephan always has a few, but I don’t know what he holds back for parts.

Here in WA, Small Car Performance sells used WBXs cheap. The risk is not knowing their condition. I’m going to get one for parts and practice when I figure out where to put it.

Another thing to consider is replacing with a GW engine. A simpler process to replace the same engine design. And if the parts being reused are in good order and you do the work yourself, cheaper. Still expensive though. I love my GW 2.3.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find Used Wasserboxer? Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.
Stay on this forum and practice using it because there is so much information here that it should be on the UNESCO list!

Do the search thing using the "enhanced by Google" box in the upper right corner to look for information on your problem and then open a new file on your computer to save the good info you find.

I would seriously look into repairing this engine before going down the conversion route as it is a lot of money to spend. You can probably repair this engine a lot easier. After you get it running then decide if you want to spend money on removing a good engine.

There is an "FAQ" thread at the top of the page and you can find info there about many mysteries of the Vanagon.
Just be patient and do good research on your problem.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: