Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paramount may want to rent my car for a movie. Any cautions ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Paramount may want to rent my car for a movie. Any cautions ? Reply with quote

Not at liberty to go into detail but I was contacted by the picture car coordinator for a paramount movie filming in September. They may want to rent my car for 3 weeks. “May” because the year isn’t exactly correct for the movie but other than that likes the car for the film. He’s going to pitch the idea to the production to see if they can work around it with the shots. I haven’t seen the contract. They pick the car up in an enclosed trailer and it’s kept in a secure location at the studio. Fully insured.

Has anyone done this? Any cautions? Advice?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Paramount may want to rent my car for a movie. Any cautions ? Reply with quote

I rented my 1971 Convertible for a photo shoot, one day. They didn't drive it, just wanted models in front of it. $150. Went fine.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Paramount may want to rent my car for a movie. Any cautions ? Reply with quote

Get a written appraisal beforehand and make sure you get some kind of proof of insurance coverage for loss or damage.

Is some actor who has never driven a stick shift going to drive it during the shoot? Shocked

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Paramount may want to rent my car for a movie. Any cautions ? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Get a written appraisal beforehand and make sure you get some kind of proof of insurance coverage for loss or damage.

Is some actor who has never driven a stick shift going to drive it during the shoot? Shocked

He told me the car isn’t rolling in any of the scenes.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Paramount may want to rent my car for a movie. Any cautions ? Reply with quote

Get a ton of pictures of small details, lots of close ups of things you wouldn't think to look at usually, if the "talent" climbs on it or breaks something, or the "removeable paint" removes more than expected you'll have proof it wasn't like that before. Also agree to who is going to fix it if something does get scratched or tweaked before signing anything, a shop of your choosing opposed to their lowest bidder hack. And if anything is F'd up act on it that day and demand instant results, films and many TV productions form a company for the job and fold it up as soon as it's done, if you find something 2 weeks later and go to their office it'll be vacant and nobody will answer phone calls.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Paramount may want to rent my car for a movie. Any cautions ? Reply with quote

How upset will you be if it gets scratched? Dented? Scratch and dent?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Paramount may want to rent my car for a movie. Any cautions ? Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't rent a car to a movie company unless it was a something that I didn't care about or I could be on set to deal with it. But, I have been on a few sets and I might be a little biased.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Paramount may want to rent my car for a movie. Any cautions ? Reply with quote

74 standard wrote:
Not at liberty to go into detail but I was contacted by the picture car coordinator for a paramount movie filming in September. They may want to rent my car for 3 weeks. “May” because the year isn’t exactly correct for the movie but other than that likes the car for the film. He’s going to pitch the idea to the production to see if they can work around it with the shots. I haven’t seen the contract. They pick the car up in an enclosed trailer and it’s kept in a secure location at the studio. Fully insured.

Has anyone done this? Any cautions? Advice?

Nice car. Lovely colour. You sure it's not an elaborate theft?

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Paramount may want to rent my car for a movie. Any cautions ? Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:

Nice car. Lovely colour. You sure it's not an elaborate theft?

It sounds legitimate to me.
They offered him a Cashier's Cheque for $5,000.
He is supposed to cash it, give the transport driver $2,000 and he gets to keep the rest.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Paramount may want to rent my car for a movie. Any cautions ? Reply with quote

Scam!!!!

Why is Paramount giving a check for $5000 and having the owner pay the transport driver $2000? This reeks of a common scam, where you get a check that’s too large, and you’re asked to refund the difference. In a few days, the overlarge check bounces, but not yours.

He gets the check, cashes it at his bank, gives the transport driver $2000, a few days later, the cashier’s check for $5000 bounces, and he doesn’t see the car again, and he’s out the $2000 he paid the driver.

I may be wrong, but I have to wonder why Paramount can’t pay the transport driver themselves?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Paramount may want to rent my car for a movie. Any cautions ? Reply with quote

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
tspot100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Paramount may want to rent my car for a movie. Any cautions ? Reply with quote

I was also contacted for the "renting" of my 68 for a movie several months ago. The request came from Hagerty ins company. Car had to be driven to Albany Ny. Wasn't interested. Seemed legit at the time.
TK-CS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Paramount may want to rent my car for a movie. Any cautions ? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
This reeks of a common scam

Yes it does. This scam is well known also in Europe for car theft. Car theft with extra bonus.
WC:
'77 Audi NSU Ro80
'88 GTI 16V
'91 Corrado G60
Daily:
'04 Passat Wagon 2.0TDI
'13 Passat Wagon 2.0TSI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Paramount may want to rent my car for a movie. Any cautions ? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Why is Paramount giving a check for $5000 and having the owner pay the transport driver $2000? This reeks of a common scam, where you get a check that’s too large, and you’re asked to refund the difference. In a few days, the overlarge check bounces, but not yours.

I didn't see this part in the poster's statements, but I will agree that those details definitely make it sound like a scam.

Horribly easy these days to copy a company's logo and paste it somewhere to look "official". Heck, we did that at work once in the late 1970s/early 1980s (before computers) to make fake letterhead paper so someone could type a practical joke onto the letterhead-containing paper to make it appear official.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Paramount may want to rent my car for a movie. Any cautions ? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

It sounds legitimate to me.
They offered him a Cashier's Cheque for $5,000.
He is supposed to cash it, give the transport driver $2,000 and he gets to keep the rest.

This was a joke based on a known scam. I doubt iowegian knows the details of 74standards offer from Paramount. It was funny.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Paramount may want to rent my car for a movie. Any cautions ? Reply with quote

I'd say scam but for another reason. Bugs are relatively common and most movie cars rental companies have them in inventory or can just buy some cheap beater and make it look good on film for far less than what you're being offered.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
bugbyte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Paramount may want to rent my car for a movie. Any cautions ? Reply with quote

Be Afraid! Be Very Afraid!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Paramount may want to rent my car for a movie. Any cautions ? Reply with quote

I don’t see why Paramount pictures located in California would rent and transport a car that is not exactly right from Canada (if the op’s location is correct). Seems to me there are plenty of VW’s in California that would be a correct year for them to choose from. Just doesn’t seem quite right to me.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Paramount may want to rent my car for a movie. Any cautions ? Reply with quote

Production companies go on location plenty of times. No reason Paramount couldn't do filming in Canada.
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Paramount may want to rent my car for a movie. Any cautions ? Reply with quote

Wow, haven’t checked back on this thread in a few days and it’s gone in a whole different direction.

To clarify
1. No one offered me anything like what was stated. We only talked about the cars suitability for the shots, how it would be used, insurance, transport etc…
2. Allot of movies are filmed in this area every year. All the big companies have operated up here. It’s a big business in Quebec. Huge studios and sound stages around montreal.
3. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with the guy and got zero vibe of a scam. I haven’t heard back from them so I’m guessing they’re going to pass on my car.

They were looking for something from the 60s. And it had to be red in new for the era condition. There aren’t many beetles up here in the first place and red is even more rare.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: