Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Take apart 66 Ghia Ignition switch?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Take apart 66 Ghia Ignition switch? Reply with quote

Hi guys, the ignition key for my 1966 Ghia is a sloppy fit and I'd like to have a look inside the barrel to see if I can improve things / replace worn parts, etc.

Has anyone ever taken one apart?

I see the edges at the back seem to be crimped in 3 places, so it's not a simple unscrew process.
I know replacement barrels are available, but i'd just like to fix my original up if possible Smile

Appreciate any help!

Russell
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Take apart 66 Ghia Ignition switch? Reply with quote

Apart from removing the crimps, I believe u have to remove the center shaft which has a circlip.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Take apart 66 Ghia Ignition switch? Reply with quote

...those crimps have been applied with a bit of force! but there seems no other way in?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Take apart 66 Ghia Ignition switch? Reply with quote

If you only want to remove the barrel where the key goes in, there is a round circlip down inside the center piece on the back.

Pop that out and the whole barrel will slide out.
I've done it a couple times, you can insert the key to get tension to pull out the barrel

It's sort of a pain to get the circlip off though since it has the plastic "ring" around it. Sometimes it shoots off into nowhere land too.

I've seen a bunch of people that break off part of the plastic "ring" to get to the circlip, I think Gabriel the key guy even does this sometimes.

It looks like yours already has a piece busted off!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Take apart 66 Ghia Ignition switch? Reply with quote

Thanks EverettB, I did manage to get the unit apart.
I noticed a thin piece of wire (which may have been a "C-clip" originally) on the shaft and flipped that off and bashed back the 3 crimps on the back of the outer housing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So once i'd got it apart I could see why the key was so sloppy, all the brass wafers that slot into the barrel were missing!

If anybody has any spare barrels or wafers and springs please LMK, I might try and build the key profile again using random wafer parts.

It might work or it might not, but as I've come this far I might as well give it a shot!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Take apart 66 Ghia Ignition switch? Reply with quote

Check the classifieds.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2455800
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Take apart 66 Ghia Ignition switch? Reply with quote

Thanks c21darrel!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: