Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan 2000 VR6 Random Engine Stop
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave.Arthur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Eurovan 2000 VR6 Random Engine Stop Reply with quote

Posting for a friend.
2000 T4 (Transporter) Winebago Conversion VR6 ~200,000KM

Vehicle works well, no CEL. After a few hours of driving, engine will stop, in some cases it bucks. Dash lights all come on (same as when you turn on the ignition. Engine will crank but not start. After a period of time (5 min or so) engine will restart, no CEL, no diagnostic.

The vehicle may then be fine for a month and then repeat.

In my uninformed opinion, I think the main power relay for the ECU is failing (if in fact there is one).

Looking for any opinions or experiences. Thanks in Advance!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan 2000 VR6 Random Engine Stop Reply with quote

When It doesn’t start, you are st a firm in the road

1 pull a plug and check for presence if spark

2 measure the fuel pressure at the rail. You still need to set up the T fitting before hand.

You could also fire the parts cannon and replace the coil pack and fuel pump but those cost money. OEM only on those parts
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan 2000 VR6 Random Engine Stop Reply with quote

The next time it stops and then later restarts listen outside the van under the drivers door do you hear a buzzing or a whining sound if so that is your fuel pump telling you it is on the verge of failure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan 2000 VR6 Random Engine Stop Reply with quote

bcolins wrote:
The next time it stops and then later restarts listen outside the van under the drivers door do you hear a buzzing or a whining sound if so that is your fuel pump telling you it is on the verge of failure.

Fuel pumps make noise even when brand new. Some will say that a quality pump will be extremely quiet, and this is usually true, but sometimes a pump can be loud for 200,000 miles of use. I think this happens when the sound dampening is short circuited by incorrect installation.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan 2000 VR6 Random Engine Stop Reply with quote

A pump that has always been quiet that begins making noise is telling you it’s not happy and they can fail soon or sometime later Depending on various factors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave.Arthur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan 2000 VR6 Random Engine Stop Reply with quote

We found the solution to this issue Very Happy

We decided to order a new ECM relay (165 906 381). This is for a 2000 T4 with an AES VR6 engine.

I got the new part and went to my friends vehicle, looked in relay position 3 and to my surprise there was NO relay there. The vehicle was drivable, albeit with the random stops etc.

I double checked again that this was a required part and that that was the correct relay...etc. We installed the new relay.

All the problems disappeared. From the wiring diagrams I have been able to view, it appears this relay is actually switching a ground to the ECM. I'm guessing that the ECM was drawing a ground through the engine sensors, injectors or other.

Strange but true!

Thanks for those who offered comments and suggestions.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan 2000 VR6 Random Engine Stop Reply with quote

Thanks for posting back with this bizarre solution!
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan 2000 VR6 Random Engine Stop Reply with quote

I once had a old rabbit (79) with Same problem.It would run then stall, after a few minutes it would start and go a few miles, then repeat..After lots of parts swapping ,it turned out to be a coolasping fuel line..Good luck...Bill Vt & PR
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: