Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upgrade suspension on Type 2 Bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skurtas9848
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Upgrade suspension on Type 2 Bus Reply with quote

Is there any one who has upgraded the suspension on a late year 1970's type 2 bus? I am looking for your experience and recommendations. Would like to use Bilstein parts
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade suspension on Type 2 Bus Reply with quote

I did using Bilstein shocks from the rear of a Beetle on the front, and then some (I think) 9500 series for an off-road truck for the rear.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675623&highlight=crusty+pig

My beast was fairly light due to not having gotten around to installing any of the interior & this made for quite a stiff ride, but there was very little sway even under heavy cross winds, buffeting from large trucks, or dips & expansion joints. They really tamed the bumps & jumps when going off road.

Link

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade suspension on Type 2 Bus Reply with quote

I have a lot of experience with this. The best thing you can do is get the right tires. They need to have stiff sidewalls. I like the Hankook RA18.
Next is shocks. Bilsteins are good but Koni’s are the best.
Next is alignment. Get a professional alignment and have them check your ball joints. Next would be steering like drag link, tie rod ends, steering box, center pin. Be sure your front end has been greased. 5 zercs. Next is check the preload on your front wheel bearings. Next, be sure you have a pedal pan. Keeps out the wind and rain and helps with aerodynamics. Next, check your steering damper. This is probably the least important but most commonly replaced part. Next, check the butt sag. Your rear torsion bars may need to be adjusted up.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade suspension on Type 2 Bus Reply with quote

the VW bus design is an IRS suspension. Why would you want to spend the money to update it? My stock suspension, completely restored, with Koni shocks an Hankook tires out corners most modern cars when we are on winding roads in the Sierras. Speed bumps are milder in the bus than in any other vehicle we own.
skurtas9848
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade suspension on Type 2 Bus Reply with quote

Thank you to all replies to my post. These are all very helpful and I plan to implement the recommendations.

Have any of you installed a sway bar?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade suspension on Type 2 Bus Reply with quote

Have any of you installed a sway bar?

Yes,
You can purchase a thicker front sway bay or also add a rear sway bay. I don't find that either affects the ride as much as tires and shocks do
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Takamotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade suspension on Type 2 Bus Reply with quote

Not sure what do you mean by "upgrading", going offroad or going faster through corners or do you want to keep driving straight in windy weather?
But anyway, I fully agree with Aeromech but I´d say start with alignment, it makes a huge difference. Besides, if you have too much toe in or toe out it can ruin your new tires so it´s logical to do alignment first.

I have a slightly lowered bus with red Koni shocks and thicker front swaybar. Biggest improvement in handling was tires, I had Michelins with soft sidewalls, now I´m using Continentals. And I had too much toe out at rear, I should have fixed that first.
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade suspension on Type 2 Bus Reply with quote

Second for the Koni shocks. I'm running those and Hankook Radial RA08 185/ R14C 102/100Q 8PR on my 79 Westy. A couple of people that have driven it have said it's the nicest riding bus they've ever been in. I've been really pleased with the setup, going on 5 years now. The Koni's are pricey for sure but they've been worth it.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade suspension on Type 2 Bus Reply with quote

Looking at your photos in the gallery, you have a good looking bus. Looks like you could use a slight raise in the rear, you’d have to adjust the rear torsion bars for that. New bushings would be recommended when reassembling.

Like others have posted, I too ran passenger car tires at first and my bus handled like shit. Then I upgraded to the 195r14c Hankook RA08 (now discontinued), later I used the 195r14c Hankook RA18. Both tires were very good and greatly improved the handling of the bus. Since then I’ve upgraded to the 27x8.5 General Grabber ATx. Personally I think the Generals offer a much better ride then the Hankooks, but both are good tires.

As far as the shocks go, I prefer the KYB Gas-a-Just. Some say that they are too stiff, but I feel they handle the weight of a Westy nicely. Especially a fully loaded westy.

Definitely redo the front end. Seeing your bus looks as good as it does and is a Survivor, I bet the ball joints are in pretty good shape. I’d look into replacing the tie rods, the drag link, get an alignment and make sure your steering box in properly adjusted.

Good luck!
’65 Deluxe Build
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade suspension on Type 2 Bus Reply with quote

I haven't found that buses handle well in the wind no matter what tires, shocks, or wheels etc. you have non them. When you are getting a good blow from the side you are going to get pushed around a lot, plain and simple, as a 1930's suspension design and a light front end don't work all that well alone or together. Get everything in the steering as tight as you can and if the wind is blowing hard drop you speed.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade suspension on Type 2 Bus Reply with quote

I bought my bus with lowered suspension, did not realise it at the time.

It lost the sway bar a while back, it broke after too many impacts with the road surface on cambered road surfaces, or speed bumps, and now uses coilover shock absorbers on the front end for true independent front suspension.

The stiffer springs make up for losing the sway bar.

I have also rebuilt the steering box, changed the bushing on the adjuster side of my 1974 box using a Dremel, and replaced just about every part of the steering linkage, some more than once.

The camber is set according to spec. The front toe in was done by eye when I changed the steering track rod bars.

It stopped jumping from lane to lane on the motorway in cross winds, and I can now drive it at 65 mph without too much trouble even with cross winds.

It blows around but it does not steer itself suddenly which was the problem when there was wear in the steering linkage, or the front wheel camber was not symmetrical.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Takamotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade suspension on Type 2 Bus Reply with quote

Not sure if you´re joking or not..? You really shouldn´t remove front sway bar and toe-in can´t be measured by eye. Stock bus can easily cruise at 75 mph all day long and for lowered bus with upgraded tires & shocks 85 is ok.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade suspension on Type 2 Bus Reply with quote

Takamotti wrote:
Not sure if you´re joking or not..? You really shouldn´t remove front sway bar and toe-in can´t be measured by eye. Stock bus can easily cruise at 75 mph all day long and for lowered bus with upgraded tires & shocks 85 is ok.

I certainly agree on the toe in. 1/8" out of spec at the thread makes a big difference in handling and tire wear.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade suspension on Type 2 Bus Reply with quote

Takamotti wrote:

I eyeballed the length of the tie rods before fitting them, matching the positions of the studs in the ball joints, not adjusting after fitting..

And yes I have driven with NO sway bars for maybe 50000 miles on all kinds of roads but the front suspension is probably twice as stiff as stock with the coilovers. I was sick of the flipped sway bar hitting things, I was glad when it broke.

After all, RED9 front suspension has no sway bar.

And the reason for 65 rather than 75 is that its a 1641 T1 not a 2L T4. Cheap Europeans without so many emissions regulations..

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjrm63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade suspension on Type 2 Bus Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/YskPpL9t8JU
Stock suspension, Koni shocks, heavy duty front sway bar and 27/8.5/14 Grabbers.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade suspension on Type 2 Bus Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the VW bus design is an IRS suspension. Why would you want to spend the money to update it? My stock suspension, completely restored, with Koni shocks an Hankook tires out corners most modern cars when we are on winding roads in the Sierras. Speed bumps are milder in the bus than in any other vehicle we own.

In a 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental, with factory-stock suspension (including the original factory-fitted dampers) and Michelin XZX Reinforced radial tyres (30 psi front & 37 psi rear), I out-cornered a Ford Sierra at 50 mph on the M25/M40 interchange bend, back in 1990/91. Smile

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: