Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front door panel details
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Front door panel details Reply with quote

I noticed an odd detail on my March 54 standard. The front door panel that appears original has about a 2" hole for the door handle. Also a square of cloth behind to cover steel. Hole looks factory but admit I didn't examine it well as at the time. On the road in our 64 for a couple week so can't get a good look at it for a bit.

I have not found any evidence of this in all the photos I could find here. All seem to have small holes that are covered.

So am I missing something or was this a just well done mod?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door panel details Reply with quote

I have never seen that before.

I believe someone made the hole bigger and added that material.

Is the hole larger than the black bakelite escutcheon? Because the escutcheon should be on top of the door panel when everything is assembled.

It looks like Split Bug material though so vintage? RARE! Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door panel details Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Is the hole larger than the black bakelite escutcheon?

Little bigger than the escutcheon. I thought it was a lot of work for... well not sure what. Well done though. Haha

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door panel details Reply with quote

I have one panel that had a large hole. I believe it was just worn over time by the escutcheon or possibly trimmed by someone to remove a panel without messing with the handle.
I also believe the material behind it is original. I have come across that several different times. I think it’s split beetle interior material scraps they used likely for the spring so it’s not metal on metal.

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Front door panel details Reply with quote

The fabric piece is a dead ringer for oval-era Standard fabric. Here's original and new material Marcus produced for several of us.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Front door panel details Reply with quote

So cloth maybe factory. Hole not so much.

When I get back I will have a look at the hole and see if there is any evidence that it was hand cut. I could see someone cutting the panel if they couldn't get the handle off but I would think it would be a very noticeable hack job. Also the cloth would likely show damage.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door panel details Reply with quote

Looked at the handle hole. looks factory cut. Round and smooth. Bit of damage from removing panel over handle. Hole is 52 mm. Little bigger than escutcheon at 45mm.

Material is about 120 mm square and spring is behind it.

Looks like some vinyl between escutcheon and cloth but no sign of panel board.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: