Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

You might be better off with a 019. The curve comes in sooner and you start with more advance at idle.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
You might be better off with a 019. The curve comes in sooner and you start with more advance at idle.

Thank you, I will pass that advice onto the guy.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

Sometimes a flat spot is a normal thing with mechanical advance only distributors that can be tuned out.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

Sometimes a flat spot is a normal thing with mechanical advance only distributors that can be tuned out. Try cleaning and re lubricating the interior of the distributor.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Sometimes a flat spot is a normal thing with mechanical advance only distributors that can be tuned out.

I did clean and lubricate it very well with proper stuff. I don't think it can be tuned out. I started off and timed full advance (~30) @ 2500 and then took it on a series of test drives, making small adjustments before each... but it does not go away no matter what. I think I have it timed at the sweet spot but there is still a slight flat spot that makes it's hard to ease into first gear.... you can, it just takes more effort and finesse than I would think normal... but then again this is a true bare bones vintage speed deal.

I agree it could need some fine carb tuning tho.

Last edited by evanfrucht on Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

By "tuned out" it usually means a carb adjustment like enriching the fuel or a larger jet.

How about some engine specs such as carb(s)?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
By "tuned out" it usually means a carb adjustment like enriching the fuel or a larger jet.

It's an original Okrasa engine with a pair of real Solex 32PBIC's. Pretty neat actually. The carbs do look to have a fair amount of miles on them and/or have been sitting for a while. There is yellow staining on the outside, etc.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

I've never heard of a "flat spot" or hesitation on an Okrasa engine with dual carbs and a Bosch 010.

Does it happen when the engine is fully warmed up? I've seen old dried grease between the mainshaft and upper advance cause the advance to stick and then loosen up when the engine heats up.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Glenn wrote:

It's an original Okrasa engine with a pair of real Solex 32PBIC's. Pretty neat actually. The carbs do look to have a fair amount of miles on them and/or have been sitting for a while. There is yellow staining on the outside, etc.

That's a cool engine to have! A flat spot might be caused if the carbs are worn so the throttle shafts leak a little air. You mentioned staining, sometimes seen at the throttle shafts and below from a little fuel getting out through loose fit.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch 010 problem. Loose floppy advance mechanism? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I've never heard of a "flat spot" or hesitation on an Okrasa engine with dual carbs and a Bosch 010.

Does it happen when the engine is fully warmed up? I've seen old dried grease between the mainshaft and upper advance cause the advance to stick and then loosen up when the engine heats up.

The longest drive taken so far has only been about 10 minutes. So not fully up to temp, but at least semi warmed up.

I cleaned the distibutor and advance mechanism very well, and them sprayed it down with a grease-less spray lubricant, wiped up excess. Tested the mechanism by hand and it rotated smooth and snapped back well. So I don't think it the distributor being dirty. The distributor might not be perfect overall, it looks fairly well used, but my best guess would be that the advance is in spec.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: