Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

L Shaped Wind Deflectors.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My drivers side one broke during instalation, they're not as flexible as I thought.

'86 Syncro Westy. Stock for now.

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB 11' Northland Cabover

2006 Subbie OBXT

2002 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4

1969 Mustang Basket Case 351c/FMX/9

http://kbeefy.blogspot.com/
SL1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a set on in the fall - they are ok - nothing more. The best benefit i can see is keeping window open in light rain, any heavy rain or wind and the rain gets sucked into the van so you end up closing the window anyway.

some wind noise reduction, but not as dramatic as i had hoped from reading thread.

found the clips very hard to fully insert and a lot of fooling with the rubber trim to get the clips seated, that being said, they have not moved after driving a couple thousand kms

when compared to similar units on other vehicles, they look overly large - probably because they are. first time i pulled up to a toll booth, i rolled the window down as per usual, went to toss in my change, nailed the deflector and all my money went on the road...D'OH - lesson learned, open window all the way with these things on...lol

When i paint my van next year, look for a set of slightly used debflectors at a good price. i just don't like the look of them, they're too big for my tastes.
Darren2dream
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed that the Dubflectors are on sale for 15% off in the Classified section..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1403189

I've had a set for a few monts now & I like them...
15% off can't hurt if you're on the fence about picking up a set.
Kuchster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been unable to get in contact with dubflecta on numerous email occasions. Does any one know what is going on?? I have purchased 20 sets and sold most off, they continue to sag down the window, I was very lucky not to have lost a set on the freeway earlier today as both the top and bottom had popped out, on another car with brand new rubbers they still continue to sag, we need some clips but not having any luck??
Dubflecta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

We have not received any emails from you! Can you check the email address? It's [email protected].
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having some issues with the Dubflecta visors drooping at the rear while driving. Prior to installing them, I replaced all the driver and passenger window rubber with new from GW. I then put in the clips and the visors as instructed via the T3 video. Gotta say that I didn't seem to have the tightness issue some have had when rolling up the windows, they just roll up. They also didn't seem to be as tight fitting in the window as other owners have reported.

I ended up taking them off for the time being since I don't want them to come off while driving. Here in FL, they will be really useful in allowing me to have the windows vented during the hot/rainy months while driving or, more importantly, while parked outside.

I took a photo of a fully seated clip and am wondering if this is what is expected?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It can't be seated any further, it is touching the rubber down in the window channel. At the rear of the visor, I can just tap it and it will slip down enough to show a gap. On the road, driving with the window down at about 50mph, it shows a gap from the top rear of the window of about 1.5".

Anyone able to help out?

Thanks,
Mark
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With no clips mine used to slip a lot.

Now with a few clips they slide only a little every now then.

They mostly slip a bit with the window down.

Usually only my driver window is open and it creeps down a little.

I just push up.

One side of clips seat better than the other side, too.

I thought a U shaped clip with a tiny set screw would do the trick to keep the rear end up.

Have to make something, mine never stay well put, ever by them selves for a long time.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
pierre551
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this web site Smile

www.t3technique.com

They sell them
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: L Shaped Wind Deflectors. Reply with quote

Had these on for years and get the slight drop, just been pushing back up. I was sent the clips a while back when I ordered some parts from T3. His YouTube video on this thread is dead. Thought putting the clips in would be self explanatory. Not quite sure how they go.

I have a small baggie with about 8 metal stainless clips with two little sharp areas on each. Anyone like to show a picture installed or give me some direction? I did just email T3. Looking to put the clips on before we head to the coast tomorrow.

Thank you!
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: L Shaped Wind Deflectors. Reply with quote

I ended up putting small dabs of silicone sealant across the deflector's outside edge that gets seated into the window channel and then installed them without the clips. I hesitated with the thought of using the sealant on my new window rubber seals but realized it wouldn't harm them.

They work fine and don't sag at all any longer. I've been enjoying them for a few years with no problem. Very nice to be able to vent the windows when it's raining.

Thanks,
Mark
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: L Shaped Wind Deflectors. Reply with quote

Thank you Mark.

I would like to at least try the clips from t3 but don't really understand how they work or where to put them.

It was nice today to easily remove them as my wife was cleaning Spring pollen off of them and the windows prior to trip. It seems dabs of silicone would make that not such an easy out and back in?

Are you just putting silicone on the aft 3" end that seems to slide down or the whole edge?

Appreciate the advice!
andy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: L Shaped Wind Deflectors. Reply with quote

is it much better to have the L shaped than the standard ones?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: L Shaped Wind Deflectors. Reply with quote

FWIW: I had the "standard" deflectors and ditched them after about 2 weeks.
I went to the "L" deflectors and I've been happy for the past 8 years.

They work equally well with window cracked open, but stay in place better,
plus actually deflect air for reduced buffeting with window all the way down,
& cover about 30% of the window for the effect of <some> tinting/shading...

[/$0.02]

Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: L Shaped Wind Deflectors. Reply with quote

I wasn't happy with any of the in-channel products, so I made my own tape-ons. I had a local glass shop cut a pattern from 3mm Acrylic and I attached it with 3M double-sided tape. About 3/4" standoff from the window glass and tinted. $40 all told. Smile

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: L Shaped Wind Deflectors. Reply with quote

These deflectors really are useful. I like Corwyn's idea a lot, but if you decide to go with the straight across version, there are a couple of different ones out there.

The Weathertech ones are thick, strong, and high quality. I had them on my last van and was very happy with them.

https://www.weathertech.com/volkswagen/1982/vanagon/side-window-deflectors/

The version that CIP1.com sells are thin, flimsy, and annoyingly flutter in the breeze. They are, dare I say, flaccid.

I have them on my current van and regret not buying Weathertech again.

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C20%2D853%2D9756

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: L Shaped Wind Deflectors. Reply with quote

reviving a dead thread...
My Van came with some of the weathertech ones, and I really liked them, when it was raining, I could still open my window to let some fresh air in without getting soaked. Unfortunately they were too loose and one fell out on the highway. I also realized some of the weatherstripping on the windows was old, and making the ride quite noisy.

I replaced the weather strips and ordered some new weathertech inserts - but they are too tight now with the new weatherstrips. It seems like I'm putting too much stress on crank, and weather strip starts to bunch up if I close window.

These l-shaped ones look really nice, but I'm wondering if I'll run into the same problem? I'm leaning towards getting one that just sticks onto the outside?

Corwyn - those ones you had made - are they just flat pieces of smoked acrylic?

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: L Shaped Wind Deflectors. Reply with quote

Clicking links...... I think this item is dead.
Unless someone else is making them.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: L Shaped Wind Deflectors. Reply with quote

Guys! Are these what you are looking for? $36.00

https://www.vanagain.com/shop/wind-and-rain-deflectors-for-all-vanagon-set

Almost mandatory to have them in rainy hot HUMID Florida!

You have to keep an eye on them as the window rubber looses it's grip on them the longer they are in there and they can fall out.
They do work fantastic.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: L Shaped Wind Deflectors. Reply with quote

Those are the flimsier ones that I have. After having them on for a year, they do their job and stay put very well.

Again they're not as solid as the WeatherTech ones, but if you can deal with a bit of fluttering in certain windy conditions, they're great for a rainy campsite and in my case they work well for fresh air since my in-dash AC deleted my fresh air dash vents.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: L Shaped Wind Deflectors. Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Those are the flimsier ones that I have. After having them on for a year, they do their job and stay put very well.

Again they're not as solid as the WeatherTech ones, but if you can deal with a bit of fluttering in certain windy conditions, they're great for a rainy campsite and in my case they work well for fresh air since my in-dash AC deleted my fresh air dash vents.

They flutter? I just did 80mph the other day and solid for me.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: