Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ins and Outs of Installing a 356 Engine in a 1962 Sedan
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Ins and Outs of Installing a 356 Engine in a 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

I know there is body work involved, what are the pros/cons?
'62 Pearl White Ragtop sedan
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ins and Outs of Installing a 356 Engine in a 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

Con - you can build a 200hp type 1 for the cost of a 356 engine and have a big chunk of change left over.

Pro - nothing.
greek_tony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ins and Outs of Installing a 356 Engine in a 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

Pros - Period correct vintage power

Cons - Sit down first and check out the price of parts for a rebuild if its ever needed Shocked
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ins and Outs of Installing a 356 Engine in a 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Con - you can build a 200hp type 1 for the cost of a 356 engine and have a big chunk of change left over.

Pro - nothing.

Ah but if we all thought that, there would be no need for a "Vintage Speed" forum Brad. We're not looking for the best solution, Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ins and Outs of Installing a 356 Engine in a 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:

Pro - nothing.

Ah but if we all thought that, there would be no need for a "Vintage Speed" forum Brad. We're not looking for the best solution, Laughing

Yeah complaining about the price of speed doesn’t belong in this forum, save it for the high performance engine forum.
AFAIK there is no need to cut anywhere but I will defer to someone who’s done it. I have the same plan for a 62 Ghia so I’m curious too. I do know it will require getting creative with the tins and linkage.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ins and Outs of Installing a 356 Engine in a 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

Not complaining about price. Just want the OP to know the price of P parts is rather elevated. Personally I'd hotrod a 40 horse . With modern parts you could have more hp and still look period correct. No need to spend 10K more for a tilted generator stand base and similar performance.

I've helped build a couple of pretty quick 1200s and one really fast 36hp for land speed racing that used a Pre-A case, offset ground Porsche crank with Chevy journals, h-beam rods, 1500 pistons and Okrasa heads. You haven't lived vintage performance till you've hand carved and profiled the fins on 4 cast iron cylinders to fit the 36hp stud pattern.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ins and Outs of Installing a 356 Engine in a 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

its a cool idea, and IMO the porsche engines look decently sexy, but... not practical if your looking for speed.

if vintage speed is life to you then go ahead. But be ready to lay down some big bucks.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ins and Outs of Installing a 356 Engine in a 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

It's been done.

Go BIG or go home.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ins and Outs of Installing a 356 Engine in a 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
It's been done.

Go BIG or go home.

Go big or go home?!! how about go huge!!!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ins and Outs of Installing a 356 Engine in a 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
It's been done.

Go BIG or go home.

hmmm... sounds more like go broke and go home to your tent lol.

i think 4 cams are going for 30k-50k?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ins and Outs of Installing a 356 Engine in a 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

Or more
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ins and Outs of Installing a 356 Engine in a 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:

Try $220,000
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1955-porsche-4-cam-carerra/

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ins and Outs of Installing a 356 Engine in a 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

Larmo63 wrote:
I know there is body work involved, what are the pros/cons?

Pros...if thats your dream do it

Cons ...haters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ins and Outs of Installing a 356 Engine in a 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

My 57 had a 356 normal in it when I bought it. Fit in the engine bay without trimming either VW sheetmetal or stock engine tin and bolted up to the split case transaxle. I don't think the valve covers would come off without dropping the engine though. Carb linkage was stock Porsche (shroud mounted vertical action) on the engine with the addition/modification of a bellcrank (not sure of source) to mate the VW cable. I sold the engine back to the seller (including exchange for a running 36hp motor). By the time I finish my correct date coded vintage speed 1397 (with 32 NDIXs and a sebring style exhaust) I will have spent about as much as it would have cost to keep the 356 engine and refresh the top end plus carb rebuild. Its about what you want so go for it!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ins and Outs of Installing a 356 Engine in a 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
It's been done.

Go BIG or go home.

Glenn, I get wood every time I see this posted Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ins and Outs of Installing a 356 Engine in a 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Not complaining about price. Just want the OP to know the price of P parts is rather elevated. Personally I'd hotrod a 40 horse . With modern parts you could have more hp and still look period correct. No need to spend 10K more for a tilted generator stand base and similar performance.

I've helped build a couple of pretty quick 1200s and one really fast 36hp for land speed racing that used a Pre-A case, offset ground Porsche crank with Chevy journals, h-beam rods, 1500 pistons and Okrasa heads. You haven't lived vintage performance till you've hand carved and profiled the fins on 4 cast iron cylinders to fit the 36hp stud pattern.

I hear you, Porsche parts are nutty expensive, and if you have to factor in buying a core then it’s really going to be pricey. Though you can cut some costs if you are using a B crank with modified 36 hp bearings and if you are using AApistons and cylinders vs Mahle or Bireals etc.
If you have the core then it’s not going to be any more expensive than doing a 36hp Okrasa conversion. Ask me how I know…assuming of course you can build your own engine.
As for HP gain a S spec 356 engine will get around 75 hp a Super 90 of course 90 and a SC a bit over 100hp which is near impossible in a streetable 36hp based engine.
Again none of this makes any sense, a much cheaper 1600 based engine can do all that easily for less but that’s not the point of vintage speed.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ins and Outs of Installing a 356 Engine in a 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

Try $220,000
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1955-porsche-4-cam-carerra/

Reserve wasn't met at 220. The last one I heard of that changed hands was in the $250K range and was dyno tuned by a friend of mine.
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ins and Outs of Installing a 356 Engine in a 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

With 3D printing of lost wax , it would be quite feasible, and economically rewording, to do short repro runs of those parts. A tombstone on a horizontal CNC could finish then with ease.

Crazy Roland
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ins and Outs of Installing a 356 Engine in a 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

greek_tony wrote:
Pros - Period correct vintage power

Here's a nice one. Not sure if that's euro's, dm's, or usd's. Shocked https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2487587
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ins and Outs of Installing a 356 Engine in a 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

Capricorn Automotive made a reproduction of the 4-cam about 10 years ago for the low, low price of about $150,000. They probably still do but it probably costs more now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: