Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine decisions for 60 beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

x2

If it takes choking the carb with your hand to get the engine to run, most likely something is causing the mixture to go extremely lean. Check for vacuum leaks, plugged jets, plugged idle circuit passageways, low fuel level in the float bowl, or an inoperative idle cutoff solenoid.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

It’s fuel related because when I basically choke it by keeping my hand over the throat it runs finely
I’m going to clean out the idle jet and associated pathways (again ) today.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I rechecked the pilot circuit and associated parts . All seemed clean. I suppose it could be leaking where the intake manifold meets the heads. They were somewhat of a pain to attach. I put new gaskets in there but maybe not seated properly.
It runs good. No smoke. It’s just that I have to completely close off the throat with the exception of a tiny slot 😬😩
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Your air correction jet/emulsion tube is missing.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Sure is
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

It was just out for cleaning
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I’ve tried several variations of screwing in and out the bypass screw and the volume control screw. Nothing seems to help.
I took the intake manifold loose and put hylomar on where it meets the heads thinking maybe there was a leak.
No change
I’ll have to find some help to spray starter fluid around the joints while I keep it running.
I know my hand test isn’t as good as a vacuum gauge but it wants to suck my hand into the engine when it’s running. 😀
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

During re-cleaning I discovered I had totally missed cleaning the main jet. I’ll admit my mistake 🙈. Maybe someone will benefit from my F- ups. It’s way up in there . Not in plain sight for someone with fading eyesight. Also, the carb kits I have ( bought two different ones ) didn’t have the correct mixture air screw ( or whatever it’s called ). Another thing is the o ring for this screw seems a little small and I’m thinking it probably won’t do it’s job .

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

It’s ALIVE !!!
YIPPEEEE
Runs great
Now I can concentrate on everything else as well as eventually redo the original engine adding an okasra kit in the process
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I’m about to paint the body and I have a concern. My luggage rack ( I guess that’s what it’s called ) had a bulge in it where PO had hit it. I suppose it was to make room for nosecone.
I made it flat but now I’m thinking the car might not sit down on it without making another bulge.
Pics show how it is now. Any thoughts ?

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Anyone know
I feel like I should now put a big dent in it like it was.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Well
No answer to the last question so I might as well ask another.
Hope Springs Eternal ! 😀

Do you guys glue the tar paper on to the firewall in front of engine or do you use the spikes ? Also, ( I know this is a dumb question ) Which way goes up on the tar paper ?

car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I just used the spikes.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Thanks
Do you know which way is up. It looks as if it’ll go either way.
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

the ones I got from Classic VW Bugs did not have those cutouts. Looking at it seems like they go on the top. But you might want to check if those are the correct ones, those look to be for a convertible.

Sedan

Convertible
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Ok
Thank You
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I’m about to put my body back on the pans.
Questions :
Concerned about whether to trim rear breast plate. Seems like most say it will fit but ? Engine is installed so I would think that would help.
Should I remove exhaust and heater boxes ?

My breast plate tin doesn’t seem to line up well with muffler where tubes go in.
Probably aftermarket crap ?

Also I never determined where I should make a dent in the luggage tray for nose cone. Aarrgggg.

I can see it all now . I get several people to help me only to install and remove body numerous times.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Quote:
Concerned about whether to trim rear breast plate. Seems like most say it will fit but ?
You will need to trim it to fit with the H rear apron. The H apron comes up higher on the quarter panels so that it leaves less distance front to rear in the engine compartment than the '61 and later aprons. You'll need to cut the breast plate in a gentle curve that comes in to about 1/2" outboard of the large cooling hose holes. You are cutting off the strengthening bend along the outer edge of the plate so that the trimmed plate will be much flimsier. I did this in the late 1980's when I had a 1600 single-port engine in a '56 Beetle. There's probably a photo of a trimmed plate in the Gallery but I don't have time at moment to check.

Make sure you attach the spark plug cables to the fan shroud using the press-in plastic cable holders. You don't want the cables to contact the intake manifold preheat pipes which get super hot from direct contact with exhaust gases.

Your doghouse oil cooler: too late now, but to the experienced Samba readers- shouldn't the OP have used the green adapter seals for the small holes in the case to the larger holes in the base of the triangular doghouse adapter piece?

OP: Have you turned your engine upside-down to check if it is the dual oil pressure relief design, or single relief?

Will you be installing the body on the pan by dropping it down vertically? If so, then with the engine installed, you can keep the heater boxes on because the bottom of the engine firewall will clear the front high section of the HB. But if you take the engine out, drop the body onto the chassis, then try to install the engine, you'll need to remove the HB so that you can get the engine into the bay. That method is a bit of a struggle.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply.

I’ll be dropping the body down vertically over the engine and pans.
I guess I will go ahead and trim the breast plate.

I matched the cooler seals as per directions from everyone in the forums. ( I think 🤪)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 15

Jump to: