Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is '95 Campervan's AAF engine with high compression (260P) safe?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

How high is the risk to this engine?
Very - Do not drive it!!! You must replace it.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Medium - Don't drive it for long distances and replace it when you can.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Low - It's probably fine. Don't worry about it.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
It's complicated.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

timotheo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Is '95 Campervan's AAF engine with high compression (260P) safe? Reply with quote

Hello!

TL;DR - how risky is 280PSI compression even across a 5-cyl AAF 2.5L engine w/ 165k miles??

Details:

I recently bought a 95 campervan from a company nearby that cleans up and resells used campervans. The body and interior are in excellent condition. The engine is an AAF 2.5 gas engine with ~165k miles and its a standard.

Initial observations:
* Sometimes *very* sluggish, sometimes just a little bit sluggish
* A burning smell initially that seemed to go away after driving

I took in the van into a local audi shop for an inspection, and they raised a critical concern about the health of the engine because it has very high compression (260PSI). They say this is rare, but in the case that they saw, it led to the engine blowing up and while they don't "recommend" driving or not driving, the mechanic said if it were him, he wouldn't drive on it. They want to replace it not, and won't take it apart bc of how hard it would be to put it back.
Findings:
* Replace engine - 260 compression across all cylinders
* Replace radiator: leaking
* replace coolant expansion tank - leaking
* replace shift rod bushings
* replace tie rods and ends
* replace brake pads

The seller says high compression is not a problem. They say they've seen high compression before from carbon buildup, and it should have no impact - don't worry about it.

I have done reasonably complex auto work in the past on vehicles I knew well , but I've never rebuilt or done serious engine work. I don't know who to believe or how to assess this risk. Any opinions?

* If we have to replace it, can we drive it an hour to our local state camp site for the rest of the summer and then replace the engine in the fall/winter?
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Is '95 Campervan's AAF engine with high compression (260P) safe? Reply with quote

Check with borescope. Double check compression.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Is '95 Campervan's AAF engine with high compression (260P) safe? Reply with quote

If that compression reading turns out (with a second test and different tester) to be correct. I would just remove the head and clean it off. Maybe have the head rebuilt at the same time if needed or at least have the valve guide seals replaced. They should be hard by now and not seal good anymore. That could also be a reason if there is excessive carbon built-up.

How is the oil consumption?

Does the engine ping?

It is a good basic engine to work on. Replace the water pump and timing belt at the time and you are good to go again.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Is '95 Campervan's AAF engine with high compression (260P) safe? Reply with quote

That engine is a intruder (interference) engine so when when the timing belt breaks it's over, so check and be sure the timing belt is good and tight then drive it to your campsite for the summer. The five cylinder engine is a great engine and they hopped up the original to the hot rod model which you have.. I have a 93 which is slower, But more maint free. You can pick up a used block and build it on your own skd ,then install it during the off season.. And a stick shift is the Cats Meow & very rare in the American market,on the 95 camper..Good luck Bill PR & Vt
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is '95 Campervan's AAF engine with high compression (260P) safe? Reply with quote

Second thoughts , PI OUT UPis the engine burning clean?? These engines have a limp home mode which makes the engine make it home but by running rich.. which makes carbon & might cause high compression.. so is it running rich?? Mine ran really rich because of a leak in the intake hose so the computer aided too much fuel.. just a thought.. I'd swap to a carb but it's not feasible on these vans... Good luck and let us all know thanks Bill Vt & PR
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is '95 Campervan's AAF engine with high compression (260P) safe? Reply with quote

Second thoughts , Is the engine burning clean?? These engines have a limp home mode which makes the engine make it home but by running rich.. which makes carbon & might cause high compression.. so is it running rich?? Mine ran really rich because of a leak in the intake hose so the computer added too much fuel.. just a thought.. I'd swap to a carb but it's not feasible on these vans... Good luck and let us all know thanks Bill Vt & PR
timotheo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Is '95 Campervan's AAF engine with high compression (260P) safe? Reply with quote

volkybus wrote:
which makes carbon & might cause high compression.. so is it running rich?? Mine ran really rich because of a leak in the intake hose so the computer added too much fuel.. just a thought..

This is possible. There is a bit of an fuelish/burning smell that wafts through occasionally. it's not consistent or strong, but sufficient that it was what first concerned me.

Let me research limp mode.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Is '95 Campervan's AAF engine with high compression (260P) safe? Reply with quote

How did you make out w your high compression? We all want To know. I've been out of my EV for the summer (up north driving my bay but back for a short visit to wifey n Kids n Ev. My's stilling running rich, so I still want a carb.. (bad boy Bill) I sure wish we could just go out and buy a newer VW van but it seems unless we move out of good old USA we're out of luck (ThankS VW) BILL VT &PR
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: